The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 23, 2011, 12:02 AM   #1
Incognito

Gun Show Question

Just out of curiosity, I've never been to a gun show before. The Tanner Gun Show comes around here quite often. I'll be getting some money back from the feds soon and I'm planning on aquiring some bullets, powder, and maybe primers (were only talking about $300 worth). There's typically a $15 entry fee which for $10 more would cover haz-mat fees with mail-orders.

My question is, can one find good deals on components at these shows? Cheaper than mail order? Or is it basically the same stuff as one finds on the net?
Old February 23, 2011, 12:09 AM   #2
Recoiljunky

Depeneds whos selling it ive seen really good and really bad deals at gunshows but for the most part yull save a little but you do tale a gamble if your looking for a paticular item
Old February 23, 2011, 12:14 AM   #3
dawico

I've been to shows that had a ton of stuff cheap, some that had nothing, and everything inbetween.

If you haven't been to a gun show before, I recommend going anyway. Even if you don't buy anything, you will add a bunch of stuff to your "someday" list.
Old February 23, 2011, 12:31 AM   #4
capreppy

I went to a gun show a couple of weekends ago. Lots of brass and some reloading equipment, but did not find any bullets worthwhile pricewise or qualitywise. Our particular Gun Show does NOT allow the sale of Primers or Powder so check to make sure that they will indeed allow the sale of Primers or Powder.

With that being said, you'll likely find better pricing on the internet. With a $300 order, this is what I would get (you can adjust yours accordingly based on your caliber and powder/primer choice, but you'll get the jist):

Powder Valley
- $50 for Primers (2k Winchester LPP)
- $31.30 for 2lbs of Hodgdon's HP-38 (you can save yourself more money by buying in the 8lb jug)
- $25 HazMat Fee & $12 shipping (estimate)

I shoot lead and purchase from Missouri Bullet. I'll give you my .45ACP Order as an example
- $144 for 2k MBC IDP #1, .452 200gr LSWC
- $13 for shipping

$275.30 Total for Primers, Powder, & Bullets including shipping & HazMat
This total is good for 2k complete rounds (assuming you have the brass).

I just bought 5k CCI #300 (LPP) & an 8lb jug of Winchester W231 (PV is out of stock of HP-38 for at least another 2 weeks). I paid $25.50/1000 for the primers and $116 for the HP-38. I split the order with someone so the hazmat and shipping is split. Even with shipping, I am saving $75 (rough estimate).

One last note, I've never been to a gun show that did NOT collect sales tax so factor that in as you are checking out prices.
Old February 23, 2011, 08:22 AM   #5
Sevens

I will have to agree... if you plan to spend $50 or $60 on components, gun show may be the way to go. (don't call the $10 entry fee a "cost" for components... that $10 is your fee for a day spent wandering around guns and accessories and beef jerky!)

If you plan to lay out $200 to $300, you will not beat a place like Graf's or Powder Valley. Not on powder, probably not on primers and absolutely not on bullets, even with shipping from a couple different places.
Old February 23, 2011, 09:41 AM   #6
Turf

I just went to one last weekend -
They didn't have the Dies I was looking for as they were already sold out -
They had some bullets but not exactly what I wanted and more expensive then an online purchase - I passed on this buy -
I did pickup a pound of powder and saved the hazmat fee -
I looked at at a couple of .22 pistols but passed on both as they were not great deals - I decided to just buy new from the LGS for only a few more dollars -
I picked up some ammo as Georgia Arms has decent prices and it puts more brass into the rotation -
Still a good time walking around with a number of friends talking and having a good time - well worth the $6.00 entrance fee -
FYI - eat before ya go - the food at our local venue is way over priced -
Old February 23, 2011, 10:32 AM   #7
chiefr

I have been to several gunshows over the last few months. We have had ammo retailers show up from other of states bringing fantastic prices on ammo and reloading supplies. Some are also bringing in tons of milsurp ammo as well at huge discounts.
I have been a long time fan of gunshows. If you have never been to one, you need to go. Warning; they can be addictive.
Old February 23, 2011, 11:36 AM   #8
wncchester

"can one find good deals on components at these shows?"

Maybe, maybe not. It's about as variable as wondering if you will find any pretty loose women at a new bar on Thursday night; not predictable. But you really need to know what you are interested in and the prices it can be purchased elsewhere or, like with the women, you can loose your money without getting much for it.

"Cheaper than mail order?"

Again, not predictable. Many of today's gun show guys are doing it as a hobby business. Some want to make money, some don't care if they make money or not and their prices, often above retail, show it.

"Or is it basically the same stuff as one finds on the net?"

Well, IF they have it, they sell the same stuff as anyone else. Biggest problem is they won't have the variaty of brands and items as a major mail order company, that would be impossible.

Decades ago gun shows were quite helpful but that has changed. Partly because of silly laws, partly due to the hobby guys. Partly by changing buyers who seem to think anything at a gun show must be a better deal that at local shops; that was marginally true at one time but that time has long passed.

I used to go to shows as often as possible, 3-4 times a year. Now I go maybe once in 3-4 years and then mostly to take a grandson or two to show them some of the firearms they may have an interest in. Then, IF they actually find something they want to buy, we usually seek out a local dealer we can dicker with and order from. Other than the entry fees and maybe a hot dog, I haven't spent more than $100 on small bits and pieces at gun shows, total, in the last 25 years.

Everyone should go to a show from time to time but mostly for the education.

Last edited by wncchester; February 23, 2011 at 11:44 AM.
Old February 23, 2011, 12:19 PM   #9
Doodlebugger45

No telling how it will go at a given gun show. The last 2 shows I went to were a complete waste of time. Gun prices were way high. Not many components. The few components that were for sale were ridiculously high priced. Worse than 2 years ago. Way higher than buying on the internet and paying haz mat fees.
Old February 23, 2011, 01:45 PM   #10
rdmallory

I just went to one last weekend and had a good day.
Sold a Encore barrel for CASH and I did not have to deal with shipping it or cashing a check. Found CCI small pistol primers for $99 a case (5K).

Know your prices before you go. I see prices for loading material on both ends of the scale. There is one guy that shows up at ours and he buys in bulk. I can usually buy Montana Gold from him for less then ordering online.

Doug
Old February 23, 2011, 01:51 PM   #11
Incognito

Sounds like it's worth taking a look at, although not a big fan of crowds I might just pop in there to see what's happening. As of right now I've got my eyes on making a bulk purchase of pulldown powder from Hi-Tech. But I'll have to scrounge up another $60 to achieve it

Thank you for the replies.

Quote:
like with the women, you can loose your money without getting much for it.

Last edited by Incognito; February 23, 2011 at 02:03 PM.
Old February 23, 2011, 01:54 PM   #12
LarryFlew

Excuse the pun but it's a real shot in the dark. Sometimes prices are great and next time you will wander around all day and find nothing at all.
Old February 23, 2011, 01:59 PM   #13
BigJimP

I always have a good time at my local shows ....so I'd recommend you go and have a good time if nothing else...

Locally - gun shows are a good place for primers ....but not bullets and powder. The show doesn't allow powder in the building / but some tables have it available in their cars - so you pay, and go outside to pick it up.

In general - a case of bullets are so heavy ...and there is so much variety ...most tables don't sell bullets / except higher end rifle bullets in small packages ( like 20 bullets per pack ).
Old February 23, 2011, 02:25 PM   #14
sserdlihc

Quote:
FYI - eat before ya go - the food at our local venue is way over priced -
And not worth the grease it's cooked in.
Old February 23, 2011, 03:17 PM   #15
maggys drawers

The entrance fee for Tanner is 8$, and you can usually find a dollar off coupon online. Parking is free- at least it was the last time I went to the Denver show.

You can find deals there sometimes. The prices may be a little higher than some online, but if you figure in the haz-mat and shipping fees they usually come out pretty close to the same, and you have the product in your hand when you get home instead of waiting on shipping time.
Old February 23, 2011, 10:06 PM   #16
oldcspsarge

Dad's wholesale from Denver is usually at the Tanner show or you can call them direct.

They have everything you as cheap as on line and you don't pay shipping or hazmat.

Dad's sells all components or will get them for you.
Old February 23, 2011, 10:14 PM   #17
TXAZ

I've found that the real deals at gun shows in the last 5-10 years have gotten pretty thin. In AZ, J&G typically has prices as good as you're going to find at the GS. Ironically, I've also noticed a fair number of sellers selling components over MSRP, and way over online discounters.

Crossroads of the West, in particular, seems to be an overpriced albeit well advertised show that has gone down the tubes (IMHO). I've found very few 'deals' there in the last year or two.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old February 23, 2011, 11:30 PM   #18
Incognito

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcspsarge
Dad's wholesale from Denver is usually at the Tanner show or you can call them direct.

They have everything you as cheap as on line and you don't pay shipping or hazmat.

Dad's sells all components or will get them for you.
Interesting, I have his webpage in my favorites but have never gotten around to contacting him. Might just go see what he's got before committing to anything. Good idea, thanks.
Old February 24, 2011, 01:03 AM   #19
COSteve

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, I've never been to a gun show before. The Tanner Gun Show comes around here quite often. I'll be getting some money back from the feds soon and I'm planning on aquiring some bullets, powder, and maybe primers (were only talking about $300 worth). There's typically a $15 entry fee which for $10 more would cover haz-mat fees with mail-orders.

My question is, can one find good deals on components at these shows? Cheaper than mail order? Or is it basically the same stuff as one finds on the net?
1st off, the entrance fee is $8.00 and you can get a buck off if you go to their site and download a coupon. As far as finding exactly what you want, like most places it's 'Caveat emptor' so you'd best know the internet prices for your possible items before you start to look around so you can confirm that you're getting a good deal.

FYI, I was at Tanner in Denver last weekend and saw that primers, powder, bullets, and some firearms are actually coming down in price to something close to reasonable. Fact is, I actually ended up buying a firearm from the Tanner show (NIB Springfield 1911 Mil-Spec model). I've collected firearms for over 50 years and I've been going there for over 30 years and never pulled the pin on a firearms deal until last weekend The price ended up 5ยข cheaper than the best price I could find on the net so I jumped on it.
Old February 24, 2011, 07:07 PM   #20
larry60

I love going to the Tanner gun show you see more guns and related merchandise in two to three hours than you can see any other way. I just started reloading for a 40 S&W and made a trip there for powder, primers and bullets myself. There is a wide range of prices from dealer to dealer, you can find some good deals but you have to shop. The Sportmans Warehouse at I25 and 84th has very competitive prices for reloading supplies and are well stocked. I think you are right about buying powder and primers on the internet the hazmat fee makes them expensive. Bulk bullets are a lot cheaper on the internet if you can buy a thousand. I have bought bullets at Roze Dist. for my 45acp 1000 230gr FMJ $117.00 they pay delivery and at Montana Gold for my 40 S&W 155gr JHP about $140.00 they also pay delivery. But go to the Tanner Gun Show $8.00 for one day and you will love it.
Old February 24, 2011, 07:38 PM   #21
rdmallory

Buy the bullets LAST

You don't want to carry 1000 230gn bullets around all day.
Old February 24, 2011, 07:48 PM   #22
Incognito

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry60
The Sportmans Warehouse at I25 and 84th has very competitive prices for reloading supplies and are well stocked.
Yep, that's were I get my supplies at. Sucks that they closed the one in Aurora though, but it's still worth the drive. The other closest alternative would be Gander Mountain...

Last edited by Incognito; February 24, 2011 at 07:59 PM.
Old February 24, 2011, 09:45 PM   #23
sob (sweet ole bill)

gun shows

I go to about two shows a year here in wilmington n.c. If you know your prices and what you want you CAN get lucky.
Once-fired .38 $8/100, 6$/100 for 9mm. Marlin 60 semi .22 with Simmons 4 scope $179 tax inc.
Lots of junk, as I said, know what you want and the fair price.
Old February 24, 2011, 10:38 PM   #24
Jim243

No you won't.

Jim