The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 3, 2000, 04:56 PM   #1
Monkeyleg

For reasons that are not interesting enough to detail, I haven't been to the range since early July. Over the weekend I finally got out there and shot some .45 loads I'd done three months ago. I didn't shoot all that well, but not as bad as I often do . When I was dumping the cases into the tumbler, I could feel the wax, and realized I hadn't cleaned it off the rounds. How much does the wax affect accuracy? I would think it would be much like shooting an oiled bore. Any experiences with this?

Dick
Want to send a message to Bush? Sign the petition at http://www.petitiononline.com/monk/petition.html and forward the link to every gun owner you know.
Old October 7, 2000, 05:13 AM   #2
Hard Cast 44

Monkeyleg, When you say wax, are you speaking of case lube or bullet lube? I tend to carry a lot of wax in my ears but it dosnt seem to effect my shooting only my hearing. TED
Old October 7, 2000, 03:05 PM   #3
Monkeyleg

Ted:

I'm talking about the bullet lube. I guess I got to calling it "wax" because of references to the wax ring on cast bullets. Anyway, it seems to me that having bullet lube on the cartidge when it's chambered would have a similar effect as an oily bore. Yes? No?

Dick
Want to send a message to Bush? Sign the petition at http://www.petitiononline.com/monk/petition.html and forward the link to every gun owner you know.
Old October 7, 2000, 06:18 PM   #4
Hard Cast 44

Dick, Most of the bullets that I shoot are lubed with a hard wax lube. I have never had it come off on my cases to where I could feel it like you say. I do notice that I get a case lube residue on all of my brass that stays there until I tumble them. Do you think that is what you are feeling. Bullet lube in the bore is a good thing up to a point. It is the stuff that makes it possible to push a lead bullet faster without leading the bore. I wasnt making fun of your use of the term wax, just my odd sense of humer. It really is wax, mostly from bees. TED