The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 9, 1999, 09:09 AM   #1
blooch

thinking about purchasing a friends alloy framed full size para ordnance(p14) and i understand that these frames crack. where would i look and how many rounds does it take to show up?
Old December 9, 1999, 10:18 AM   #2
JoeHatley

Mine cracked at the bottom of the grip, where the pin for the mainspring housing goes through. Most however crack up front, where the slide release passes through the frame.

Good Luck...

Joe

------------------
Go NRA
Old December 9, 1999, 11:48 AM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

I have seen alloy frames (not Para-Ordnance) cracked between the top corner of the frame and the front of the slide stop hole and also in the small web over the rear slide stop hole.

Remember that the slide stop takes a lot of pounding because it is what stops the whole works when the slide goes back into battery. The slide rebounds off the frame and assisted by the spring, comes forward with a lot of force. The barrel rides up on the slide stop and the whole thing comes to a crashing halt, beating on the slide stop and the frame that supports it. Some alloy frames just can't take that pounding for long.

Jim
Old December 10, 1999, 12:11 AM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I have a lightweight Commander which I dearly love. It's my favorite carry-gun. I've put a few hundred rounds through it over the years, but I don't use it as a regular shooter.

So, if it's to be your only pistol, and you're planning on lots of shooting, don't get an alloy-framed gun. If it's one of several, and your primary use would be carry, get it.