The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 13, 2017, 01:55 PM   #1
Roland Thunder

Load data for AA#2 and 45acp

I recently started using Accurate #2 for 45acp. I have used it before for 9mm but not 45acp until recently. Love the way it meters and it's clean burning. I have been loading 200gr SWC's (plated) and have been loading them rather light, around 5.0gr and OAL = 1.235. The low end of the range suggested by Accurate Arms is 5.1. I recently bought some 230gr RN's (plated) and would like to load them at the low end of the suggested range, which is 4.6gr according to AA. The AA load data on their website does not suggest an OAL, so I am not sure if I should use the same OAL as I did for 200gr SWC's.

Anybody have a suggested mild load for 230gr RN's using AA#2
Old September 13, 2017, 03:03 PM   #2
Mal H
Staff

No, the OAL for a 230 gr RN is not necessarily the same as it is for a 200 gr SWC. Most reloading manuals say it should be 1.260 to 1.275. It may depend on the pistol you're firing them in.

The OAL for a 200 gr SWC can vary depending on the bullet shape and configuration, i.e., the manufacturer. Where did you get the 1.235 from, and what is the brand of bullets?

I have to ask why you think a suggestion for a light load would be any better from here than it is from the manufacturer of the powder? 4.6 gr of AA #2 sounds like a good start to me. Again, what brand of bullet are you using?
Old September 13, 2017, 03:06 PM   #3
Roland Thunder

Quote:
Again, what brand of bullet are you using
Extreme plated 230gr RN are the ones I am getting ready to load. I previously loaded SWC's, also from extreme at 1.235
Old September 13, 2017, 03:16 PM   #4
Mal H
Staff

For X-Treme copper plated bullets, you should be safe using load data for lead bullets of the same weight.
Old September 13, 2017, 03:33 PM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

Lead load data should match well enough. You start low and work up, same as any other load, until you are happy with it.

Some lead (and even a few makes of jacketed RN) use a hemispherical nose profile that results in a shorter bullet than the elliptical profile military ball uses, so they seat a little shorter. Military ball ammo I've pulled is usually seated about 0.305-0.315 into a maximum length case with its relatively long bullet. A starting point would be to match that seating depth. If you do that, the COL can be figured from:

COL = Case Length + Bullet Length - Seating Depth

If we take the maximum 45 Auto case length, 0.898", as the standard we are figuring seating depth from and go for the average military seating depth, 0.310", this becomes:

COL = 0.898 + Your Bullet Length - 0.310"

Which, for that seating depth, simplifies to:

COL = 0.588" + Your Bullet Length
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old September 13, 2017, 04:09 PM   #6
Nick_C_S

Quote:
The AA load data on their website does not suggest an OAL
It shows their tested OAL was 1.237" Their tested RN is a Berry's, which is kind of a blunt RN, so the shorter OAL only surprises me a little. They also show a Sierra FMJ (which is usually a RN in the 45 ACP world) at 1.250" - longer, but still shorter than I would expect.

Quote:
No, the OAL for a 230 gr RN is not necessarily the same as it is for a 200 gr SWC. Most reloading manuals say it should be 1.260 to 1.275. It may depend on the pistol you're firing them in.
I agree. I load 200 SWC's to 1.240" and Berry's RN's to 1.265." Now Berry's RN's are kind of rounded (as previously mentioned). I may load a more pointy ogive closer to 1.275."

SWC/RN = Apples/Oranges.

I don't mean to post a contradiction. Handloading is full of varying data. This is one of those times. Point is, RN bullet profiles are generally loaded to a longer OAL than an SWC profile. But it's certainly not etched in stone. A plunk test is really the best way to determine OAL - regardless of profile.

I like AA#2 BTW. So I looked in my load data for 45 ACP and haven't ever used it, surprisingly. Well, not too surprising because W231 is so pleasing with 45 ACP, it's hard to beat 32 years of loading the combination. No need to experiment when you've already got it right.

I digress.

AA#2 is really good stuff. Yes, I like it a lot in 9mm too. Meters second to none. Runs clean and extremely consistent - all the things you mentioned. And has just the right burn rate for your application. I have no doubt you'll put together the right combination to make some great shooters.
Old September 14, 2017, 07:52 AM   #7
noylj

The start load is just a start load considered safe for ALL guns. It is not a minimum load. In most cases, it is just a 10-12% drop from the max charge.
Your COL (Cartridge Overall Length) is determined by;
your barrel (chamber and throat dimensions)
and
your gun (feed ramp)
and
your magazine (COL that fits magazine and when the magazine lips release the round for feeding)
and
the PARTICULAR bullet you are using.
What worked in a pressure barrel or the lab's gun or in my gun has very little to do with what will work best in your gun.
Take the barrel out of the gun. Create two inert dummy rounds (no powder or primer) at max COL (generally that would be the longest COL that fits YOUR magazines) and remove enough case mouth flare for rounds to chamber (you can achieve this by using a sized case—expand-and-flare it, and remove the flare just until the case "plunks" in the barrel and lock the die body down temporarily).
Drop the inert rounds in and decrease the COL until they chamber completely. This will be your "max" effective COL. I prefer to have the case head flush with the barrel hood (or a few mils higher than where the head of an empty case aligns with the barrel, as all cases are too short and I prefer to minimize head space). After this, place the inert rounds in the magazine and be sure they fit the magazine and feed and chamber.
You can also do this for any chambering problems you have. Remove the barrel and drop rounds in until you find one that won't chamber. Take that round and "paint" the bullet and case black with Magic Marker or other marker. Drop this round in the barrel and rotate it back-and-forth.
Remove and inspect the round:
1) Scratches on bullet--COL is too long
2) Scratches on edge of the case mouth--insufficient crimp
3) Scratches just below the case mouth--too much crimp, you're crushing the case
4) Scratches on case at base of bullet--bullet seated crooked due to insufficient case expansion (not case mouth flare) or improper seating stem fit
5) Scratches on case just above extractor groove--case bulge not removed during sizing. May need a bulge buster.

When I have tried loading plated bullets, I use lead bullet data. For the .45, I wouldn't even think of using anything but lead bullets (or 185gn JHPs).
Here is my data compilation:
Bullet Weight Powder Weight Velocity Note Power Factor COL
LS L-RN 230 AA2 5.0 766 Start 176 1.230
Rainier P-HP 230 AA2 5.2 795 183 1.225
Carroll L-RN 230 AA2 5.5 858 Max 197
LS L-RN 230 AA2 5.6 870 Max 200 1.230
Win JHP 230 AA2 4.5 Accurate 0
Sie FMJ 230 AA2 4.6 769 Start 177 1.250
Nos FMJ 230 AA2 5.0 686 Very Accurate 158 1.240
Sie FMJ 230 AA2 5.4 881 Max 203 1.250
FMJ 230 AA2 5.5 769 Start 177
FMJ 230 AA2 6.1 874 Max 201

All those COLs are JUST the COL used for testing and, in general, should be considered a minimum COL.

Last edited by noylj; September 14, 2017 at 07:59 AM.