The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 9, 2017, 01:54 AM   #26
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
The customer is always right" is not a typical German attitude.
Quote:
Higher integrity there, I suppose.
Integrity is not always the word I would choose. Sometimes, the word is arrogance.

GLock comes to mind...

During part of the 70s, I lived in what we were told had been WWII SS officer's barracks. There were initials, swastikas. SS runes, and dates of 43 and 44 carved into the attic rafters.

sorry for the drift, I'm done.
Old August 9, 2017, 06:38 AM   #27
cptjack

Arrogance is the word..appenticed under the euros in NYC,very hard to work for
Old August 11, 2017, 10:42 AM   #28
bassJAM1

The company my dad used to work for got in seatainers filled with rolls of industrial felt from Germany. They used 2" ratchet straps built better than most of the stuff you can buy here in the US to hold everything upright, and of course they didn't expect the straps to be sent back. I have about 15 of them in my truck and garage, I'm sure my dad has even more. The Germans do have a certain mindset when they build stuff.
Old August 12, 2017, 10:46 AM   #29
Hal

Quote:
They used 2" ratchet straps built better than most of the stuff you can buy here in the US to hold everything upright, and of course they didn't expect the straps to be sent back.
If this was after 1991, they actually did - - or I should say, they had to, by law, provide for the return of those straps.

You can get a short glimpse into it here:
http://earth911.com/earth-watch/trash-planet-germany/

In short, since 1991 a German manufacturer has been responsible from "birth to grave" for the packaging of all items sold.

I mentioned that above....
Old August 13, 2017, 11:38 AM   #30
44 AMP
Staff

"Cradle to grave" tracking is not unique to the Germans, we require it for a variety of hazardous materials.

The Germans just take it further and in broader scope than we do. They are more efficient that way....
Old August 13, 2017, 03:05 PM   #31
Hal

The big difference is the Germans - by law - have it for everything. Not just a select few items.
From a stick of gum, to a Mercedes Benz - and everything in between.
The manufacturer is responsible for it.
Old September 1, 2017, 03:48 PM   #32
Lone Rider

Being from Germany, it is nice to read that Hirtenberger and Glock are associated with Germany. They are (were, in the case of Hirtenbereger) both fine companies.
But they are Austrian.

As for manufacturerers' liabilities, this seems to be much worse in the U.S., where you explicite have to state not to dry your cat in the microwave, as rumor has it in Europe.