The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 24, 2013, 04:02 PM   #26
STW

Me reading tells me that many of my magazines would become a weapon in and of themselves since magazines are called weapons.

I guess this is in line with the thinking in Delaware where having a standard capacity magazine in any number of places would be illegal and having said magazine within 20 feet of a gun would be even more illegal.
Old January 24, 2013, 04:36 PM   #27
Glenn E. Meyer

Mandatory checks if you buy so much ammo? Well, get us some ammo back in the stores and online, Diane.

Went by Bass Pro and the entire handgun section was empty. Check what?

If she thinks this will pass, well - she's a Balrog and I hope Gundalf is on the bridge - I grant you this is a stupid joke.

Biden is a joke - so haha.
Old January 24, 2013, 04:45 PM   #28
carguychris

Two major questions.

1. What's on the list of "2,258 legitimate hunting and sporting rifles and shotguns"?
  2. Does the bill include a process to add firearms to the "Prohibited" list, and if so, how would the process work? The key is this: is further legislation required, or can it be done by a bureaucratic regulations or (gasp) executive order?
Old January 24, 2013, 04:51 PM   #29
tyme
Staff

The list of guns to ban is pure propaganda. Most assault weapons bans (1994 federal, and various state bans) do the same thing, and it's disgusting. People hear "AR-15" and connect it with some of these recent shootings. If she'd left out the list of specific gun models, it would cause people to have to think about the wisdom of banning guns by cosmetics. The last thing the gun banners want is for anyone to think carefully about the wisdom of banning guns by cosmetic features.
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old January 24, 2013, 05:06 PM   #30
Dr Big Bird PhD

*lack of wisdom in banning cosmetic features.
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old January 24, 2013, 05:44 PM   #31
Landis

I think you can sell them, and so far it appears there is no registration. These seem to be recent changes. I am looking for the text of the bill.
Old January 24, 2013, 06:02 PM   #32
raimius

Anyone have the bill number?
Old January 24, 2013, 07:08 PM   #33
Glenn E. Meyer

A reminder we don't do liberals vs. conservatives. We can come up with lists of conservatives who are so pro AWB to make you puke.

I've deleted some and to continue is at your peril. If you haven't learned that we don't do that here, you haven't been paying attention.
Old January 24, 2013, 08:38 PM   #34
jason_iowa

It's laughable that they think this would do anything to curb violence or crime. Violence existed before firearms and will exist when we are all using pure energy weapons.
Old January 24, 2013, 09:48 PM   #35
Alabama Shooter

I am just glad they are banning the making of any more TEC-9s.

Old January 24, 2013, 11:02 PM   #36
Tom Servo
Staff

The forum profanity filters prevent me from expressing how unhappy I am at the idea that my Linda carbine will be banned. I love that thing.

The list reads like exactly what it is: an attempt to regulate something for which the drafter has absolutely no understanding.
Old January 24, 2013, 11:34 PM   #37
kilimanjaro

"Any semiautomatic version of an automatic weapon". I think they just banned the Mauser Broomhandle, it came in both versions. And any of the BATF-approved semiauto versions of famous old assault weapons and machine guns.

How about M-1 Carbine vs. the M-2?
Old January 24, 2013, 11:43 PM   #38
tonymazz

I believe this is ultimately aimed and slowing the demand and drying up the supply over time.

It is just a "pie-in-the-sky" dream bill....has not passed muster yet and suggest they won't get it passed.....

...but then again "they" have done alot of things I didn't think would happen....
Old January 24, 2013, 11:44 PM   #39
ronl

The so called substantiation of the bill according to the so called study is totally skewed in comparison to the FBI statistics compiled during the last gun ban. FBI stats showed very little use of "assault" rifles(used in less than 2% of reported gun crimes). The "stats" are pure BS. More people killed with clubs and hammers than with rifles. Guess registration of bats and hammers will be next on the list.
Old January 24, 2013, 11:46 PM   #40
dsa1115

Can I keep my sling shot?
Old January 25, 2013, 12:03 AM   #41
ScottRiqui

If we're so all-fired concerned with the calculus of saving children's lives, we shouldn't be banning "assault rifles", we should be banning residential swimming pools and hot tubs. They kill more children 15 years and younger each year than rifles of *any* kind. Plus, it would be much easier:

1) No one "needs" a swimming pool or hot tub - they're of very limited usefulness other than a luxury/recreational item,

2) There are no pesky Constitutional protections for owning a swimming pool, and

3) It would be a heck of a lot harder to hide an illegal pool or hot tub than it will be to hide an illegal rifle.
Old January 25, 2013, 12:14 AM   #42
para.2

From DiFi's own website, it seems,"Bill text will be made public after the bill is introduced."

Another instance of, "We have to pass this bill so you can find out what is in it!" ?
Old January 25, 2013, 05:55 AM   #43
Musketeer

Hi from NY. We never thought a law as horrible as ours would pass then it was introduced with 20 minutes before a vote was called and no debate at 10pm... Assume nothing, kill this now. Let us be your example.

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin
Old January 25, 2013, 05:59 AM   #44
Musketeer

ScottRiqui, on Long Island they had code enforcement people reviewing google satellite photos looking yard by yard to see who had pools without permits and then issuing fines.

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin
Old January 25, 2013, 09:50 AM   #45
Xfire68

The Beretta 93 full auto being a version of the 92 would ban those as well correct?
Old January 25, 2013, 10:20 AM   #46
kadar

Quote:
Originally Posted by raimius
Anyone have the bill number?
S.150

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d113:S.150:

Quote:
S.150
Latest Title: A bill to regulate assault weapons, to ensure that the right to keep and bear arms is not unlimited, and for other purposes.
Sponsor: Sen Feinstein, Dianne [CA] (introduced 1/24/2013) Cosponsors (17)
Latest Major Action: 1/24/2013 Referred to Senate committee. Status: Read twice and referred to the Committee on the Judiciary.
Old January 25, 2013, 11:27 AM   #47
Mello2u

Kadar posted the Senate number; S.150 of Feinstein's bill.
According to http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c113:S.150:

"The text of S.150 has not yet been received from GPO." as of 11:24 A.M. 1/25/2013.
" Frederic Bastiat
Old January 25, 2013, 04:33 PM   #48
kadar

Bill is available on feinsteins website

http://www.feinstein.senate.gov/publ...ssault-weapons

Direct pdf link:
http://www.feinstein.senate.gov/publ...f-69e69f517fb4