The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old March 7, 2012, 09:40 PM   #1
Spacelord

What to look for when checking M/N's for wear and tear?

Hey all. So I am thinking of buying a Mosin Nagant - just for fun, target shooting and such. I was at Cabelas today looking at the used guns and I saw 4 Mosins for $159 each. Do they always sell them in the used section since they are so old? I am under the impression that some come straight out of storage without ever being used...

Anyway, I'm still pretty new to guns so I was wondering what I should check for when deciding on whether or not to buy one? I really have no idea, especially since Cabelas locks up the bolt/trigger so I can't really check the action. They all seemed 'worn' of course but also sturdy and rugged. This applies to any used guns actually... what to look for, signs of wear and tear, etc. Thanks!
Old March 7, 2012, 09:48 PM   #2
seansean1444

look at the muzzle and make sure it has a good crown and the rifling is right up to the end of the muzzle.. also the hex receivers tend to be better built than the round recivers but i have a round reciver war production and i love it
Old March 7, 2012, 09:49 PM   #3
Hansam

Forget Cabelas and go to a gun show. You should be able to find them there for considerably less. The last gun show I went to had Mosin Nagant M91/30 rifles for $99+tax and background check.

Bring a bore light with you. Work/check the action make sure its still tight and not sloppy. If it goes into battery a bit hard that's ok that's how they were meant to be - you almost have to slap it into place. The bore should be clear and bright. If its rusty and pitted don't buy it. If you're not buying for collectible purposes don't worry too much about the serial numbers and for all intents and purposes (again unless you're collecting) there's no difference between the hex receiver and round receiver variations of the rifles. If you intend to mount a scope look for the P/U scope mounts. You might have to drill and tap the receiver to mount the scope mount. You will also have to convert the bolt handle so that it is down turned. Or you could spend around $150-$180 and look around for a Mosin Nagant that had been specified as a sniper rifle and that would come with the P/U mount along with a turned bolt handle.

If you're willing to spend a bit more money (between $250 to $300) you can find some Finnish re-arsenaled M91/30 rifles. These rifles are considered the cream of the crop in Mosin Nagants.
Old March 7, 2012, 09:56 PM   #4
TurkeyOak

I open & close the bolt a coupla dozen times to find a smooth action.
Then I compare wood and fine ones that look good.
Then I see if numbers match (not essential but nice).
Then I remove the bolt (pull trigger on open bolt to release) then I shine a small flashlight from the chamber and peak in the bore and look at the rifling. It may be dark and clean up, but I dont buy damaged or pitted.
Then buy it.
Dont worry about the cosmoline, the preservative that is like vaseline, it cleans up.
Old March 7, 2012, 09:58 PM   #5
jimbob86

Quote:
Forget Cabelas
I Dunno- my '42 Izhevsk was bought there..... shiny bore. In great shape.
Old March 8, 2012, 02:00 AM   #6
Irish B

$150 is high for a mosin. You shouldn't pay more than $90. Make sure you check the ejector. One i picked up had a damaged ejector and wouldnt kick out shells.
Old March 8, 2012, 06:38 AM   #7
deerslayer303

You can also check for counter boring at the muzzle. This is where the arsenal will open up the bore at the muzzle. This process gets rid of worn rifling at the muzzle. The easiest way to check is to take a round and insert the projectile (bullet) into the muzzle, if it goes all the way in up to the case, then its been counter bored. If the bullet doesn't go all the way in then it hasn't. Now with that said, counter bored rifles are not all bad and will shoot just as good. But I don't like to buy them, in my mind that tells me that particular rifle has had considerable more rounds through it then one that has not been bored, hence the worn rifling at the muzzle.

Oh some shops might be weary of you pulling a live round out of your pocket while holding the rifle. I usually ask them to do it, and they usually will. Anyone who sells Mosin's will know about it, or they should. And most sellers will have a set of head space gauges. Ask them to check it with the gauge.
Old March 12, 2012, 10:02 AM   #8
zbones6

Spacelord

"Im under the impression that some come straight out of storage without ever bieng used..." If you get a Mosin made before 1945, get that idea out of your head now. I would say 99% of the surplus Mosin Nagant rifles oon the market served in WWII, mabey even WWI for the Dragoons. It might be in great shape, but it was used.
Old March 13, 2012, 09:50 PM   #9
HALL,AUSTIN

NOTHING!!! It is a mosin, they are "strong like ox, smart like tractor" not to say they are a bad rifle. Everyone should own a mosin, great rifle, pike, spear, tent pole, boat oar, or war club.
http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinHumor.htm
This wont help much but it is worth a read, it helps understand the alternate uses.