The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old October 24, 2016, 05:19 PM   #1
Willie Lowman

Consistent end cap strikes

I have an old AWC 3 lug suppressor. It has the SCRC screw on locking ring mount. Got it for $50 + tax.

It seems be ever so slightly out of alignment. I get light end cap strikes every so often. always in the same spot no mater how the can is clocked with the muzzle. The bullet just brushes the muzzle of the suppressor causing it to tumble. It doesn't hurt the can, it's stainless steel.

I was thinking about having the end of the suppressor reamed out a little bit so the bullets don't brush it anymore.

Is this a good idea? Bad idea?
Old October 24, 2016, 07:40 PM   #2
ATCDoktor

If it were me (and if it is at all possible) I would get the alignment issue sorted out.

If that isn't feasible, I'd open up of the muzzle end of the can.

Now, their will be people that tell you that changing to "bore size" can't be done by anyone other than an 0702 FFL.

In this specific instance the bore size isn't changing just the muzzle aperture (your not converting your can to accept another larger caliber) so IMHO you would be good.
Old October 24, 2016, 08:00 PM   #3
Willie Lowman

The alignment comes from the locking ring. I think one of the tabs that go behind the barrel lugs is tighter than the others. I am worried about messing with that ring. This suppressor model hasn't been made in years and years. Getting a new ring would probably be impossible.
Old October 25, 2016, 07:17 AM   #4
lockedcj7

Call AWC. They might know exactly what is going on and fix it for free. You won't know until you call and it doesn't cost anything. Even if they don't do anything, they will likely tell you how to fix it.

I wouldn't tell them how much you paid, or if you are the original owner, unless they ask.
Old October 25, 2016, 10:27 PM   #5
raimius

Have you used this on multiple firearms?
Same location strikes regardless of can orientation sounds more like an out of spec host...
Old October 26, 2016, 06:20 AM   #6
Willie Lowman

The bullet brushes the end cap in line with the words Phoenix AZ on the tube. Doesn't mater if the engraving is at 12 o'clock, 4 o'clock, or 8 o'clock.

I'll try to get out and shoot some different weight bullets today and see if I can learn more.

I do appreciate everyone's input.
Old November 1, 2016, 07:54 PM   #7
Willie Lowman

Okay... I have had some success. When shooting 115 grain S&B, I got tight groups. The first was four inches right of POA at 15 yards. The second was three inches left of POA. The third bowl of porridge... I mean the third group was just right! I shot some Blazer Brass 115 grain with the suppressor in the same alignment and I got a sloppy group well below the POA.

So some part of this system seems to be particular about ammo. I know it will work with S&B. I will have to test with 147s again and see what happens... The only subsonic ammo I have shot through it so far has been American Eagle 147 grain. (the only kind available locally). I do have some Winchester 147 and Fiocchi 158 put back. I'll try a box of each of those and see what happens.