The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 25, 2001, 02:05 PM   #1
Andrewh

I just got a catalogue from them sponsored by the NRA, or some such. At page 52 there is a six shooter called the Millenium, and the cowboy on the next page. To be honest I have never heard of Cabelas, and was wondering why so cheap on these guns. 199 is about 150 bucks less then I paid for my vaquero, and the 500 for the cowboy makes me sure this isn't the colt version. Are these just cheap because, or is it you get what you pay for? Oh and while I am on the subject of Cabelas, I want to as about the gun belts and holsters. If I did it right, I could get a rig from them for about 75 bucks. The cheapest rig I have ever seen before was in the 150 to 250 range. Again is this you get what you pay for, or do they have that much of a market they can sell for cheap?
Old January 25, 2001, 02:20 PM   #2
Bill Mitchell
Staff Alumnus

Howdy,

There's another thread about the Millenium down the page a little bit. Basically, they are made by Uberti, who generally make good quality clones of the SAA and other Old West guns. It has a matt finish (not blued) and a brass grip frame, which accounts somewhat for its low price. If you can get past the looks, it's not a bad deal. The other pistol is also a Uberti, price is about $360. This pistol has an antiqued finish, but other than that it is the same as any other Uberti. A lot of CAS shooters shoot Uberti pistols and rifles in matches weekly and get good service from them. I personally shoot two Uberti 1875 Remingtons. Granted, they aren't as stout as a Vaquero, but they are very servicable pistols.

The leather that Cabela's sells is good for a beginner or someone on a budget. It's not tooled or made of as heavy a leather as a custom rig may be, but, again, it's servicable and a good deal for the money.

Bellicose Bill
Old January 25, 2001, 05:54 PM   #3
Andrewh

Thanks for the help. It is always good to know there is a cheaper option out there.
Old January 25, 2001, 08:23 PM   #4
Jim March

What you won't get is the durability, the ability to take insanely hot loads and the transfer bar safety.

For SASS shooting, I doubt any of that would matter. My understanding is that most of the better Italian SAAs (especially Ubertis) shoot standard-pressure .45LC accurately enough for SASS duty right out of the box.

My next gun will be a Blackhawk in .357 with mods. I expect it'll be able to handle 158grain loads pushed past 1,500fps, maybe more. In terms of muzzle energy, that puts you at the low end of .44Mag power levels, at least at the muzzle, while maintaining the flexibility of running milder .38/.38+P/.357 personal defense fodder.

.357s that hot can kill anything in California, including Black Bear and boar. I would NEVER trust an Italian SAA at those pressure levels...but then again, ballistics like that have no business being anywhere near a SASS match.

Jim