The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 15, 2011, 11:40 AM   #1
amorceau

AR gas tube installation

I installed a DPMS 16" barrel (with the standard front sight post/gas block) on a YHM upper. Only thing not included on barrel I ordered was the Delta ring. Barrel has been installed per mil-spec, Delta ring and all. Now, is there any way at all to install the gas tube without removing the front sight post? I REAAALLY don't want to smash the pins or marr the color at all. I guess the next question is, what's a good touch-up for smashed up parkerized barrels?
Old April 15, 2011, 12:21 PM   #2
m.p.driver

As long as the barrel nut teeth are position right the gas tube should slide into the gas tube hole in the upper receiver.You might have to turn the tube once you get it started in the upper ,but once you get it in far enough you should be able to slide it forward into the front sight base.Just make sure the hole in the tube is lined up with the hole in the base before tapping in the pin.
Old April 15, 2011, 05:50 PM   #3
DnPRK

1. Line up the holes in the delta ring and weld spring with the hole in the upper receiver.
2. Turn the gas tube 90 degrees and feed it through the delta ring, weld spring and into the upper receiver.
3. Turn the gas tube upright and push it into the front sight base until the roll pin holes line up.
4. Install roll pin.
5. Done!

It took longer to read the 5 steps than it does to install the gas tube.