The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 12, 2018, 02:01 PM   #1
texasloader79

Newbie Reloader Question

As the title infers, I am new to reloading. I have a Hornady LnL. So, currently I am trying to find a quality caliper. I am wanting to reload some once shot .243 Win. After priming and adding powder, I attempted to seat the bullet. The bullet can be shoved all the way in the cartridge by hand. I have seen a vague youtube video about a neck resizer. Comments and help please
Old February 12, 2018, 02:10 PM   #2
RC20

Did you resize the case? Is it a Full Length (FL) die set you are using?

If you did it sounds like you punched the primer out but did not have the die adjusted right to resize it.

No you don't need a neck sizer, that is for advanced re loaders if at all.

Hornady uses LNL for all their stuff now, so more details as to what press you have.

Any of the Metallica calipers is good as the precision is not down to .001 that they all read.
Old February 12, 2018, 03:00 PM   #3
reddog81

Do you have instructions for the dies or a reloading manual? What bullet are you using and how much powder and what kind of powder?

Did you punch the old primer out of the case? If so, what did you use to knock the old primer out? If you used a resizing die, was it screwed all the way in until it touches or almost touches the shellplate?

I'd guess that the resizing process got messed up somehow but there are other possible problems. Without knowing more details anything is just a guess.
Old February 12, 2018, 03:36 PM   #4
fredvon4

Any 6" $12 to $35 metal caliper from Lowe's/Ace/ home depot type stores are accurate enough..no need for Starrett or Mitutoyo cost is $$$$ and if dropped need re calibrating...

I have several as a past machinist... probably sell them some day as 0.0001 precision is not needed for reloading

hell I have 5 each $10 Harbor freight plastic 4 to 6 inch ones I have on the bench... for my model airplane hobby and reloading......when they die and become erratic I pitch them in the trash
Old February 12, 2018, 03:41 PM   #5
texasloader79

Resizing

Thanks guys. Prob didnt have my die setup correctly. I will keep you posted
Old February 12, 2018, 04:06 PM   #6
hdwhit

Quote:
texasreloader79 wrote:
Comments and help please
Pushing a bullet into the case by hand suggests you did not resize the case. I would suggest that you stop trying to learn reloading from Youtube videos. Some presenters may be telling you how to do it right, but we've all seen more than a few people giving incomplete or even dangerous advice.

If you don't already have one, go buy one (or better yet, two) published reloading manuals. At lot of people like Lee's ABCs of Reloading. Others like the Lyman Manual. I prefer to Hornady Handbook. No manual is "best", they all say essentially the same thing and in much the same way, pick the one(s) you like.

Sit down and locate the section of the manual at the front that talks about "How to Reload". Study it. Pore over every word like you're going to be tested. Because you will. The test comes when you start assembling these little pipe bombs we call cartridges.

Once you're done studying the manual, go back to the front and do it again. You missed stuff the first time through - everyone does.

Sit down a write down the sequence of steps in reloading that you have gleaned from the manual. I did this on computer in the form of a checklist. I print out a copy each time I start to reload and check off the steps as I am done. This way I don't overlook anything and if I get distracted.

The checklist has saved me from being known as "lefty" or "one eye jack" more than once.

Good luck.
Old February 12, 2018, 04:31 PM   #7
RC20

Quote:
Thanks guys. Prob didnt have my die setup correctly. I will keep you posted
To ensure you are ok, let us know what bullet and powder you are using as well.

I won't say this is definitive, there are more advanced reloading steps, but

Getting started, the base of the die should touch the shell holder.

I don't have a Hornady press or dies, but I believe all dies say a small bit of cam over (where it touches and then you finish the stroke but has small resistance)

I would do a reset, read the manual and or get a Lyman/ABC of reloading and read through it even if it does not make sense. Get a feel for the whole process.

Then start at step 1, follow the instructions step by step.

Of extreme importance is having the right powder and the right load (starting low and working up per the tables)

You should have two sources to look at. The lowest of either source is ok (they won't be the same).

I would also recommend getting a Sierra and or Hornady reloading manual (I have both) as they have wide range of bullets and powders and are good references and not just for their bullets.
Old February 12, 2018, 04:39 PM   #8
Fotheringill

#6 All points excellent advice.

OP "Some presenters may be telling you how to do it right, but we've all seen more than a few people giving incomplete or even dangerous advice." As stated by #6 just because someone made and posted a video does not mean whatsoever that he/she knows what they are doing. An example you will not yet understand is the idiot who was showing the right way to anneal a case by torching the cases to red, red, hot temperatures.

Go slow, learn from the front parts of manuals to learn HOW to do things. Do not get discouraged, there most certainly is light at the end of the tunnel.

Ask here if you truly get confused or stumped. The most likely reason is misinterpreting one or more of the steps.
Old February 12, 2018, 04:51 PM   #9
Yosemite Steve

#6. Read 2 manuals front to back. Put the reloading away until you do.