The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 6, 2017, 11:25 PM   #26
Slamfire

Generally a couple hundred of rounds. You have to make sure that any rounds you plan to carry for self defense function an auto pistol. Different bullet shapes may or may not feed correctly. Round nose is the most reliable in feed. Revolvers, if they don't go bang first time, there is something seriously wrong. I have one 38 Rossi that around 50 rounds or so, fouling accumulates in the crane and ties up the cylinder. I sent it in for warranty and they did not fix it.

This Kimber failed to go into battery, but after 300ish rounds, it cycles perfectly. Basically you just have to shoot the thing enough to have confidence, but I am of the opinion that is hundreds of rounds, especially for auto pistols.

Old December 6, 2017, 11:27 PM   #27
ShootistPRS

I have had my CZ75B for a few months now and I have fired a mess of different ammo through it to test the reliability. I also have worked up a decent load with 124 grain bullets that is reasonably accurate. I can keep my rounds in a 1-1/2 inch circle at 25 yards. I practice on the falling plates from 7 to 20 yards to build up my speed. If it was a larger caliber than 9mm I wouldn't hesitate to use it as a carry gun. I'm just not convinced that 9mm is capable of doing the damage it takes to stop a bad guy. I didn't buy the gun for carry though, it was purchased to play the three gun game. It does that very well.

It's all part of being comfortable with your gun. For the last 46 years or so I have carried a 357. I still carry it or a 45 colt for defense. Go with what feels OK to you. Get some training (professional training) for yourself and the gun. You learn a lot but mostly what you need to practice. Train at least every year for the first five and then you can get serious about your training after that. I also recommend that if you are going to carry get insurance.The gun may save your life but the insurance can save everything else.
Old December 7, 2017, 12:48 PM   #28
Viper225

My answer, It depends.
Carry something like a G19/G23, Sig 320, M&P 2.0 Compact, or Compact XD. Something with a track record with Law Enforcement, with good Carry Ammo meeting the FBI Specifications and it will not take any where near 200 rounds to have confidence in the pistol.
Carry an ultra compact pistol, and it might take 200 rounds to find ammunition it will feed reliably.
I just traded my G27 GEN IV for a new Glock 23 GEN IV. The G23 is easier to shoot well, and holds more ammo. I decided I would trade into a pistol that was more shootable.
I added Night Sights, and a few other refinements that I do to all Glock's and headed to the range to sight it in.
I fired 13 rounds of Carry Ammunition while adjusting the sights from a rest. I fired another 13 rounds of my Practice/Match reloads to check and make sure they both shot to the same point of aim. They did. No issues in the first 26 rounds. I started carrying it.

A few days later I had a Defensive Pistol Match. I fired another 60 rounds without a problem with my reloads. I used all 3 factory magazines. All worked flawlessly.

I bought my first Glock 23 GEN II in the early 1990's. Including my current G35 and G23, I have owned 7 over the years. All have been as reliable as Gravity.

I shoot a lot. If a handgun is not going to run, I will have traded it in on something else way before 200 rounds. Just My 2 Cents.

EDIT: I will probably be over 200 rounds after my January Defensive Pistol Match.

Bob

Last edited by Viper225; December 7, 2017 at 12:55 PM.
Old December 7, 2017, 11:04 PM   #29
Tacticool1976

what i do when i get a new gun, is shoot 100 to 200 rounds thru it.. if there is no issues, i am confident in the gun.. like others have said, a issue with the gun can happen at anytime... could be a mag problem or something else.. a good quality handgun shouldnt have a issue unless something is seriously wrong with it..
Old December 8, 2017, 02:40 PM   #30
FNS-40

One magazine and I'm good.
Old December 8, 2017, 03:41 PM   #31
Deja vu

1-2 boxes in a revolver. Significantly more for a semi auto.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old December 11, 2017, 03:35 PM   #32
briandg

Hear are my thoughts. Four types of hollow points, but they don't have to be combat HP. You can get several brands of standard HP ammo, federal, win, hornady, rem, almost all makers sell a budget hollow point in 50 round boxes. Put a box or three, maybe four of these cheaper hollow points through it, then, imo, just practice a while with it and regular ball. Run a variety of these things through all of your magazines, don't worry too much about being completely consistent. Then, run a box of your chosen carry ammo, 20-25 rounds to be certain that it will also feed, that it shoots to proper point of aim. test for accuracy as well.

So, if you have cleaned and lubed up front, made sure that there are no obvious problems, there shouldn't be even a single failure. If you have any failures, go through it with a comb and find out what caused the failure, and fix it. Maybe it's just the particular ammo, and never use it again.

Some people say that a gun is never "proven" and others insist that there be many, many hundreds before they will carry it. Every time you take it out for practice, you are "proving" it again. after 200 rounds or so, with enough of them plain hollow points, I consider that well enough proven to start carrying, but not proven to the point that you can just stick it in the holster and call it good, never touching it again.

I don't think that I will ever consider my bodyguard "proven", its just to darned unreliable. so I try to keep the best cartridges in it and keep practicing.

Remember that there are only a few questions that decide reliability. Will it feed every time? will it fire every time? will it eject every time? will the magazine feed every time? is it accurate enough to hit a five inch target at 30 feet or so? that's about all that you need. being able to fire and being able to hit. This usually means that there is a question about the reliability of the ammunition as well.
Old December 14, 2017, 06:02 PM   #33
Mannlicher

The only round you can really trust is the last one you fired.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old December 18, 2017, 11:31 PM   #34
Tactical Jackalope

250-500 or a class of 1,000 rounds. Depends on the gun and my funds.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old December 19, 2017, 06:01 AM   #35
Danoobie

With Berettas, FNs, CZs, a couple mags, and I'm good.

1911s I go a couple hundred rounds.
Old December 19, 2017, 10:04 AM   #36
Prndll

Each range visit includes 100 rounds per firearm. My 92A1 experienced 2 failures to eject this last time. Whaile the 92FS performed flawlessly. They were both given 124gr FMJ. The 92A1 has had 600 rounds of HP (mainly match grade) without any issues. Until those two FMJ's. Might have just been those particular cartridges. It could have been that it just likes HP's better. More range time will tell I guess.
Old December 19, 2017, 10:50 AM   #37
Cheapshooter

100+, the + being determined by how many brands, or bullet weights of SD ammo I try in addition to the 100 rounds of fmj range ammo. Might be 120 if Speer Gold Dot works fine when I try it (it most often does).
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old December 19, 2017, 09:55 PM   #38
otasan

When I got my Glock 17 back in 1989, I fired 200 cartridges prior to carrying it. No jams at all, nor since.
Old December 22, 2017, 10:53 AM   #39
rburch

I go a minimum of 200 rounds of fmj, then 50 of my chosen carry ammo before I will carry one.

Then I continue to reevaluate it with fmj each time I'm at the range.

I also try to shoot off my carry ammo once a year as well.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Old December 22, 2017, 04:11 PM   #40
Bamashooter

My newest Glock 19 I ran all three mags with good fmj and some of the weaker fmj thats not supposed to be as powerful and cause malfunctions. If they run without issue (IT DID) then I run all mags with my preferred carry ammo and start carrying if I have had no issues.

Revolvers I just shoot a few cylinders and start carrying if I had no issues. I dont think any more testing or breaking in is necessary.