The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Closed Thread

Old January 4, 2010, 02:59 PM   #1
pacerdude

Is a Special License Needed for AR 15/ AK 47 in GA?

I have noticed around metro Atlanta when I went home for the holidays that the Gun Range I go to, as well as other gun shops were having "specials" on AK 47s, and AR 15s.

My question is would I need a special license or permit in Georgia to purchase either the AK or AR?
Old January 4, 2010, 04:51 PM   #2
Tucker 1371

No, you can basically have whatever you want in GA just by buying it. All NFA laws/rules apply. We're one of the most gun friendly states in the union.
OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe
Old January 4, 2010, 05:02 PM   #3
pacerdude

Thanks man, I just wasn't sure if I needed a class III permit or whatever. I noticed that the gun range I went to with my dad, had AK 47s for sale for $600. And it got me wondering, whether or not a person could buy one just as easily as a handgun/longgun in GA.
Old January 4, 2010, 05:22 PM   #4
Tucker 1371

No, Class III stuff only applies to full autos, barrels shorter than 16" (18" for shotguns), and suppressors.

And those $600 AKs were certainly not full auto, if you want an F/A AK it will run you $10k or higher.
OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe
Old January 4, 2010, 05:43 PM   #5
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacerdude
I noticed that the gun range I went to with my dad, had AK 47s for sale for $600. And it got me wondering, whether or not a person could buy one just as easily as a handgun/longgun in GA.
Well, that might be some of the confusion: The rifles you saw were semiautomatic AK-47 clones. which we just refer to as generic "AK's" as a sort of shorthand. The don't require any more special paperwork than Uncle Bubba's Remington 7400 deer rifle (and are, in fact, considerably less powerful.)

If you wished to purchase an actual fully-automatic AK-47, the procedure would be somewhat different.
Old January 4, 2010, 05:59 PM   #6
Skans

Kennesaw (just north of Atlanta) had or has a law on the books that made it a requirement that all residents own a gun. I don't know whatever came of that law, but it was a topic of discussion in the 1990's. Yes, Georgia is gun-friendly!
Old January 4, 2010, 06:31 PM   #7
pacerdude

Thanks for the clarification Tamara.

And Skans, last I heard it was still a law that all residences/places of business in Kennesaw own a firearm.
Old January 4, 2010, 09:04 PM   #8
Bud Helms

Nope, not every citizen. Kennesaw, GA, passed an ordinance in the early 80s (mid '82, I believe) requiring every head of household to maintain a firearm together with ammunition.

That law was amended soon after to exempt those who 1) conscientiously object to owning a firearm, 2) convicted felons, 3) those who cannot afford a firearm and 4) those with a mental or physical disability that would prevent them from owning a firearm.

Conditionally, number 2 and definitely number 4 were part of GA Code previous to Kennesaw's ordinance. Numbers 1 and 3 simply removed a potential legal liability from the City.

The amendments show the kneejerk nature of the ordinance. Nice sentiment, awkwardly expressed. As I recall, it was done to make a statement in response to the Morton Grove, IL, city-wide gun ban.
Old January 4, 2010, 10:23 PM   #9
pacerdude

Thanks Bud, didnt mean to pass on false information.
Old January 5, 2010, 08:15 AM   #10
Skans

Thanks, Bud, for the clarification and update on that ordinance - I always wondered what became of it.
Old January 5, 2010, 11:32 AM   #11
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I'll do the final thread-drift before closure, since the original question has been answered:

In Morton Grove, after passage, the burglary rate increased notably.

In Kennesaw, after passage, the burglary rate decreased toward zero.
Closed Thread