The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 17, 2006, 11:14 AM   #1
sawyerrog

mag clamp problem

My mag clamp (uncle mikes) does not fit. I have tacstar +2 extension, when I barely snug it, It starts to push the extension away from the barrel. I have tried loosening the extension carefully to see if it would fit. Thinking the extension was bent or defective but nothing seems to make any difference.the clamp just seems way off. THANKS
Old October 17, 2006, 02:49 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

On what gun??

I haven't seen this one with the Uncle Mike's, but for whatever reasons, I have seen more problems with the Tac-Star than any other brand of extension.

There's a chance the problem is with the gun.
Possible a mis-aligned magazine tube.

My first step would be to contact Uncle Mike's for an exchange, but I suspect the fault is with the Tac-Star.

One experiment is to try moving the clamp farther toward the rear or toward the muzzle to see if there's any difference.
Old October 17, 2006, 03:22 PM   #3
sawyerrog

Its an express, I tried moving the clamp all the way in and out, The extension is straight on or off the gun It runs perfectly straight in line with the barrel. I even used a dial caliper on it. Measuring front to back. the problem has to be with the clamp. I mean its not even close to fitting on there correctly. It was an U.M.s 870p clamp with swivel studs. It fits around the extension swell but does not line up with the 18.5 inch barrel at all. thats just weird.
Old October 17, 2006, 05:26 PM   #4
cavediver27

I have a Remington 870HD with 18" barrel and 2 round factory extension. The factory clamp doesn't come with a swivel for a sling so I bought the Uncle Mikes clamp that had the swivel stud. Guess what? The Uncle Mikes clamp had a wider center-line dimension than the factory and 'pushed' the factory extension tube away from the barrel. What you have must be the same as me and they don't fit.
Old October 17, 2006, 06:51 PM   #5
Dfariswheel

This is odd because I have an 870P Police gun with a Choate extension and an Uncle Mike's clamp and it fits perfectly.

How MUCH does it push the extension out of line: A little or a LOT?
Old October 17, 2006, 07:19 PM   #6
cavediver27

I didn't force it because it was obviously dimensioned wrong even though the package said it was correct. If I remember correctly it was around 1/8" at the clamp location which would be at least 3/16" at the muzzle, way too much! I would say that is a LOT!
Old October 17, 2006, 07:45 PM   #7
sawyerrog

Yeah the centerline dimension is to wide where the bolt goes through.
Old October 17, 2006, 08:22 PM   #8
saands

This is truly bizzarre .... I just got a Tank's extension (VERY, VERY, VERY nice btw!) for my 870 Express ... the 870 mag clamp was WAY off (centerlines of the clamp were too far apart). Jon Tank sent me a clamp for the 11-87 and THAT fit like a charm. He mentioned that something must have changed from Remington, but the really strange thing is that I had just installed a Remington 18" IC bbl (for the 870) on that shotgun and IT fits perfectly ... so that mag tube to bbl spacing HAS to be the same as it always has been

Saands
Old October 17, 2006, 08:48 PM   #9
cavediver27

The Remington 870 dimensions haven't changed. My guess is that Uncle Mikes has some mis-marked packaging or they're vendor who makes them (in China?) has the specifications wrong.