The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 16, 2013, 08:08 AM   #1
UtopiaTexasG19

Do Infrared NV Scopes Wear Out Internally?

I have a friend who is moving up to a Gen III night vision set up and is willing to sell me his Gen I Yukon 2.5 X 50 IFNVS for really cheap.
I have tried it out on my property at night, not yet on a rifle, and for my use appears to work really well.
My problem is that it is already two years old and I know nothing about the internals in NV Scopes.
Is there a life span for the electronics or other internal parts?
Thanks...
Old June 16, 2013, 08:50 AM   #2
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

Every electronic part has a life span, and some are pretty short, like electrolytic capacitors. I have never looked into the imaging on these, but I would say that it does have a certain life span, as anything that has ever been made to convert light to electrical signals has. I would say it may outlast a CRT, but how much longer? Really, all this does is a viewer that amplifies the available light.
Old June 17, 2013, 01:51 AM   #3
Scorch

Gen I NV scopes have crappy image, terrible flair, and are a waste of time and money IMO. Spend a few more $$ and get Gen II or III and enjoy it.
Old June 17, 2013, 07:26 AM   #4
Double Naught Spy

Yes, IIRC, the sensor on the Gen I scopes has something like a 15-20 K hour use life. Chances are, you won't wear it out through appropriate use before something else breaks on the unit or you buy something new.

Where a lot of NV scopes go south faster is people leaving off the lens caps and exposing the light sensitive sensor to sunlight.

So it is a used scope and you have looked through it and deemed it useful to you (regardless of Scorch's comments). So then the query would be what is "really cheap?" Given your description, depending on whether it is the Tactical or Varmint version, the cost new is from $450-550. So really cheap is less than $200, yes?

I am dubious of used scopes. So unless it is LNIB with the box and goodies, I would certainly not to want to pay over $200 for it. You don't get the warranty with it like it was new.

My only real concern would be that your friend let you mount it on your rifle and y'all go shoot one night and make sure that it holds zero. If it doesn't hold zero, you end up with an overly bulky and heavy night scouting scope. You might email Yukon to check and make sure it is capable of handling whatever caliber you are going to put it on, especially if it is .308 or larger.