The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 17, 2006, 10:34 PM   #1
superfluid

Help with Shotgun Purchase

Hello all, new to the forums. I have a new found interest in sporting clays. I have a Mossberg 500 special purpose with a 20" barrel that I bought about 3 years ago from a friend for $60, yes $60 (US dollars). I just shot hand thrown clays with it last weekend and suprised myself with how well it shot. I hit about 80/90 hand-thrown (with a plastic thing) clays from between 10 and 40 yards. Now I have the bug and really want a O/U but cant afford the kind of (financial) commitment that most of them command. I have been researching Spartan, CZ, and Mossberg Silver Reserve. I really like Mossberg, as my current gun has never failed me, but I would prefer ejectors rather than extractors (ejectors are not available on the Mossberg O/U).
My question is, what would be my best line of attack here to get into the sporting clays sport at a modest investment. I would just purchase a 28" barrel for my 500A but it has the extended magazine and I cant find any info on an available 28" barrel. I have emailed Mossberg numerous times with no response. I would also like to do some occasional upland hunting here in Oregon with a legal gun (my current Mossy holds 8 and I lost the dowel).

I found a 500A at Big5 with 28 and 20 inch barrels ($220) and the short magazine but the barrel does not accept chokes. They also had a Spartan O/U for ~$400 but I have heard mixed reviews on these.....
Also, I would rather shoot a pump or O/U, auto's dont appeal to me at all.
Any info is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.
Old October 18, 2006, 11:12 AM   #2
KYGlock

If a Mossberg 500 is on the table as an option, get just a barrel for your existing 500. You can find 28 and 24 inch VR choked barrels for sure. I'm not sure about your mag tube, you may have to change it depending on barrel choice.
Old October 18, 2006, 01:34 PM   #3
gdeal

Remington 870

To be honest try as I may I really don't like the Mossberg's. IMHO you are better off with a Remington 870.
Old October 18, 2006, 02:22 PM   #4
BoneDigger

Mossberg barrels

Go here:

http://www.havlinsales.com/closeout.htm

They have new Mossberg barrels on closeout for around $40-$70. I bought one a while back and it was a great deal. Instead of buying a new shotgun, just buy another barrel for the 500. Of course, new guns are always cool, but unless you have the money for a good O/U I would just stick with the 500.

Todd
Old October 18, 2006, 05:19 PM   #5
BUCKMARK

How often do you plan on shooting sporting clays?

Let's Roll!
Old October 18, 2006, 07:39 PM   #6
skeeter1

Get another barrel

You're already doing well with your Mossberg, get another barrel for it, 24-26" (I/C) for skeet or 28" (Mod) for trap.

If you've got access to a good trap range, try befriending some of the shooters there. If you tell them you admire their shotgun, they might let you shoot a round with theirs. I've let a new shooter try out mine. It may be worth a couple of grand, but I don't think it's going to wear out in my lifetime.

Shooting should all be about fun.
Old October 19, 2006, 02:07 PM   #7
xjz

I have been looking at getting a maverick shotgun with a 20in barrel and 8 round magazine and the website lists all mossberg 500 barrels will fit the mavericks but with the 8 roound magazine there is no mossberg barrel other than then 20 incher avaliable so I looked for replacement maverick barrels on the maverick website and they list a 28" vented rib barrel with an accu-set choke for an 8 shot magazine maverick or mossberg 500. Here is the website.
http://www.maverickarms.com/pages/barrels.htm That way you can sitll have a home defense shotgun and just replace the barrel to go shoot skeet.