The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 2, 2011, 12:14 PM   #51
BerdanSS

Ya, see I wouldn't really want to go through the hassle of returning the whole gun anyhow..even if that was an option. Which after the polishing and firing ,I doubt that can even be done. I was pretty much just going to ask if out of say like ten others, are there any without the beveling or is mine the only one. That being said, like arcticap said...I had already thought of calling Uberti and asking them about it. To see if a replacment cylinder can be had, if this is indeed a machining mistake.

I went through the whole defective part machining for replacment garbage, with one of my ARs. First with the dealer and then Yankee Hill Machine. Lets just say my rifle was gone for about two months and it cost me WAY more than it should have in shipping...funny how I had to pay for their goof up. I'd rather not EVER risk that happing again by shippnig back a firearm I've already paid for, if I can have the part sent to me. I'll IM RJ and also call Uberti. If anyone else has this problem when they get their gun(s) in please let me know in this forum.
Old May 2, 2011, 01:13 PM   #52
arcticap

In the photo link to the "identical" EMF Dakota II from back in post #3, I can't say for sure if that model is beveled or not, but it doesn't look to be and that's a more expensive gun.
Maybe Uberti gets their parts mixed up when they transfer parts around the shop.
Or there was a bin full of parts that were already made during the time period that spec's were changed.
There not being a bevel is probably a mistake of omission but one never knows if Uberti will acknowledge it.
I thought that CNC machines usually complete most all of their operations at the same time to avoid the need for setting the parts up over and over again.

Click on the photo on the following product page to enlarge it.

http://www.emf-company.com/store/pc/...4-293p1375.htm

Last edited by arcticap; May 2, 2011 at 11:33 PM.
Old May 16, 2011, 02:48 PM   #53
RJR

More 357's

We just got a small batch of the 357's back in today. Same price $250. Shipping is $20 for 1 gun and $10 for each extra. I am leaving for vacation on the 20th so nothing will be shipped until I return on the 31st. We have 600 more coming in the end of the month so we should be stocked for a little while. We are offering a 60 day layaway with a $50 NON refundable deposit.
Old May 17, 2011, 03:41 PM   #54
OutlawJoseyWales

Alright, called this morning 10am sharp, talked to a young lady who took my order for two fine .357's. Can't wait.
Thanks for posting the notice RJR.
She also mentioned that 600 or so are coming in soon, so if anyone has missed out the first time, they'll have a 2nd chance. Or is it 3rd chance?

OJW
Old June 11, 2011, 06:10 PM   #55
BobNailer

Uberti 1873 Cattleman Hombre Chamfering

This was pretty cool to see when I was visiting Gunbroker's website; to hear a review of the Uberti 1873 Cattleman Hombre with pics! The price is amazing considering I was just looking at one at Gander Mountain for $399.99 ($400 to the the rest of us), so to acquire one for $250 is incredible.

As far as the chamfering issue goes, I've never owned nor fired a SAA style revolver, matter of fact I never heard the word "chamfering" until I visited here.
So I researched the word "chamfering" and basically they said it's not such a big deal nowdays since we're all not slapping leather, slinging lead in the Old West anymore (unless you're on South Beach, Miami) and it was said that chamfering was believed to aid in re-holstering a SAA smoothly whereas a sharp edged cylinder may scrape leather off upon re-insertion of the revolver into the leather holster.

I'm sure a good gunsmith could chamfer it for you but I imagine there are SAA's out there that are period-correct, chamfering and all, but probably at a greater cost.

I've always wanted a .45 six shooter since I was a little boy watching Gunsmoke, The Rifleman, Wagon Train, Wild Wild West, Rin Tin Tin, Death Valley Days, etc.
Now here's one I can afford, all I gotta do is convince the wife that its really important to me that I own one... um... father's day gift to me? LOL
Bob
Old June 11, 2011, 07:09 PM   #56
Crunchy Frog

I have a friend who was getting into cowboy action shooting. I saw a post about this deal and he ordered a pair in .45 Colt. He gives them good reviews.

Most SASS matches are designed around a pair of revolvers, plus rifle and shotgun. This Hombre deal means two revolvers than the price of one finely finished gun.

I was thinking of buying a pair just to have an extra set of guns to share with new shooters. I'd think you could get you money back out of them easily.
Old June 12, 2011, 02:56 PM   #57
Bill Akins

Quote:
Bob Nailer wrote:
As far as the chamfering issue goes, I've never owned nor fired a SAA style revolver, matter of fact I never heard the word "chamfering" until I visited here.
So I researched the word "chamfering" and basically they said it's not such a big deal nowdays since we're all not slapping leather, slinging lead in the Old West anymore (unless you're on South Beach, Miami) and it was said that chamfering was believed to aid in re-holstering a SAA smoothly whereas a sharp edged cylinder may scrape leather off upon re-insertion of the revolver into the leather holster.

I'm sure a good gunsmith could chamfer it for you but I imagine there are SAA's out there that are period-correct, chamfering and all, but probably at a greater cost.
It appears the lack of chamfering on the cylinder was just on BerdanSS's revolver. Perhaps an oversight in production on that particular revolver by Uberti. Both of my Hombre .45 Colts that I also bought from Tanner's have chamfered cylinders.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".
Old June 13, 2011, 12:11 AM   #58
Model-P

What you guys are referring to is a "beveled" cylinder. A "chamfer" is just an even angle breaking the sharp corner at the front of a non-beveled cylinder. A rounded front between the flutes is known as a "black powder bevel", not "chamfer". The easiest way to remember it is the two "B"s.

Beveled is on the left, chamfered is on the right.
Old June 23, 2011, 08:13 PM   #59
bigfitz09

Hombre

I just got my Hombre today! I was wondering if anyone knows the best way to polish the brass?
Old June 26, 2011, 08:37 PM   #60
arcticap

Here's some clues:

1. Zenkoji posted a video and thread about polishing his 2 brass CVA kit guns includinh with a Dremel and Brasso polish. He mentions Brasso at the end of the short video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qriW...eature=related

He also mentioned using sanding discs for the rough tool marks in this thread:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=450453

2. Earlier in this thread BerdanSS showed his polished Cattleman grip frame. He can be sent a PM to ask him how he did his and what polishing compound that he used.

He can be sent a private message or email from his public profile page below:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/member.php?u=116147

3. http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...7&postcount=13

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticap May 9, 2011, 01:39 AM
Some folks love using Mother's Mag and Wheel polish to put a mirror finish on their guns.
It works to remove swirl marks.
Here's a youtube video about how it worked on a stainless 1911:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dRx3Px5gKc