The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 29, 2008, 12:35 AM   #1
Lilswede1

.223 Military brass depriming info needed

I bought a $40 press from Lyman with a Universal Decapping Die for knocking the primers out of military .223 brass.
I atttached Lyman's primer pocket reamer to my drill and used it on several cases.
The results were pretty good except I can still see a little red ring around the primer pocket.
Primers "seem" to seat alright but I have not added any powder yet (just building dummy rounds).
Need input from you folks who have been doing this sorta thing for awhile.
Old September 29, 2008, 01:27 AM   #2
scsov509

Don't worry about the "red ring", it's not uncommon to still see that a little after removing the crimp. If you don't get the crimp removed then you're going to know as soon as you try to prime the brass. A crimped or partially crimped piece of brass will absolutely destroy a primer, or at least mangle it up enough that it won't seat anywhere near all the way. So if the brass feels like it's priming alright, then it sounds like you're doing fine.
Old September 29, 2008, 03:50 AM   #3
sourdough44

I agree, you can tell by 'feel' if the crimp was removed properly from military brass. If you feel a lot of resistance compared to priming regular cases you should open it up more. I use the Hornaday hand tool to do the job.