The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 1, 2008, 07:56 AM   #26
Smaug

I thought it was just my local Gander Mountain that was high.

I bought a NOS Charles Daly Hi Power there. $300. They had to ship it to a shop down to IL to do the transfer. Shipping was $25. Transfer, another $20, then, somehow, I had to pay IL sales tax too. Never again will I deal with them. It wound up adding over $100 to the price of the gun.

While I was there, I looked at their prices for reloading supplies, and the prices were astronomically high. Something like $50 for a set of RCBS carbide pistol dies. For some reason, they had a ton of steel pistol dies. Who buys those any more? Especially for $30+?

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
- Eric Hoffer
Old October 1, 2008, 08:50 AM   #27
Sevens

I would buy steel pistol dies in a couple different calibers --IF-- I found 'em dirt cheap.

Why? Simple... only the sizing die is different, and I would buy the expander and seat/crimp die so that I'd have extra dies whose settings I don't have to change. My current .38/.357 dies are set up for .38 Special, so I hardly ever load any .357 Mag. With an extra expander and bullet seater, I could use those for .357 exclusively and never change settings on either.

The steel sizing die? Chuck it to the back of the drawer to be left for dead.