The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 12, 2018, 07:39 PM   #1
Model12Win

WALTHER

Got a Walther P99AS 9mm:

LOVE it!!

Thought I'd share guys. What a great gun, fits the hand very well.

-M12
Old March 12, 2018, 09:05 PM   #2
jackstrawIII

I really like the P99AS as well. Congrats on your purchase.
Old March 12, 2018, 10:00 PM   #3
jonb32248

I have bought two Walthers in December. Christmas came early for my wife and I. Her a PPK/S .22, me a PPS M2 LE. Really well made and shoot very well. Bud's sale.
Old March 12, 2018, 10:17 PM   #4
Cosmodragoon

Congratulations! The P99 continues to be a great but often underappreciated firearm. How do you like the feel of that trigger?
Old March 12, 2018, 10:40 PM   #5
Model12Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmodragoon View Post
Congratulations! The P99 continues to be a great but often underappreciated firearm. How do you like the feel of that trigger?
So nice!! Beats my G19 Gen 4 in the single action and the double action is flat out outstanding for an auto pistol. A little gritty but every bit as smooth and light as one of my well used K-frames, that's no joke.
Old March 13, 2018, 12:05 AM   #6
JDBerg

Last Friday I was at a Walther demo day at an LGS that I frequent and they had the typical Walther lineup including the new PPQ SC and they had the new PPS-M2 that comes with the red dot sight on it, all great guns; I’ve had my PPS-M2 for 2 yrs. now so I’m a fan. But I wanted to demo a P99 AS and they didn’t have one to demo. I told the Walther reps there that I think the P99 AS is the most underrrated pistol in the Walther line, they claim it’s not popular since the PPQ’s came out. So Walther doesn’t promote the P99 much and dealers out here tend not to carry it. Next to my PPS M2 it’s my favorite Walther!

Last edited by JDBerg; March 13, 2018 at 12:19 AM.
Old March 13, 2018, 09:27 AM   #7
Fishbed77

You chose... wisely.

I own Glocks, SIGs, CZs, Colts, S&Ws, and others, but for the last 8 years my dedicated home-defense pistol has been a P99AS. Because it is so well-designed and just always works.
Old March 13, 2018, 09:53 AM   #8
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
Beats my G19 Gen 4 in the single action and the double action is flat out outstanding for an auto pistol. A little gritty but every bit as smooth and light as one of my well used K-frames, that's no joke.
I treat the P99 as a DA/SA and it has one of the best stock triggers for guns in that category. More than that, something about the striker mechanism makes the pull feel different. It's hard to explain and I think it's something that has to be felt. I really like it.

Poking around the Walther forums and elsewhere, it seems like trigger grit is hit or miss. For people who had a problem, it looks like a lot of them saw improvement with thorough cleaning, careful lubing, and continued use. I feel like a lot of new guns benefit from cleaning out the factory gunk and replacing it with a high-quality lube.
Old March 13, 2018, 12:24 PM   #9
Fishbed77

Quote:
Poking around the Walther forums and elsewhere, it seems like trigger grit is hit or miss. For people who had a problem, it looks like a lot of them saw improvement with thorough cleaning, careful lubing, and continued use.
This is normal in a new P99AS. It goes away after ~200 rounds.
Old March 15, 2018, 05:36 AM   #10
OhioGuy

Great gun and congrats! I'm a huge Walther fan and have still never seen a P99AS in person.

I may one day just buy the compact model of it...short grip, easily concealed, full grip, still barely taller than a G19. Kind of a do-all gun

I like DA/SA guns and I know the DA on this is supposed to be pretty sweet (and lighter than most hammer guns I believe?)
Old March 15, 2018, 10:21 AM   #11
Mike Irwin
Staff

I'm seriously considering getting a polymer 9mm as a house gun, and right now the Walther series and the Ruger Security 9 are at the top of my preferred list.

I've only ever held a Walther, and I've not yet seen one of the Rugers, but hear good things about them.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 15, 2018, 10:43 AM   #12
tranders

I need to look into these Walther polymer pistols. I have heard nothing but good things about them. Congratulations on the purchase!
Old March 15, 2018, 10:46 AM   #13
nanney1

What is the "firing pin lock" I've seen advertised on this pistol?
Old March 15, 2018, 12:25 PM   #14
gc70

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanney1
What is the "firing pin lock" I've seen advertised on this pistol?
The "firing pin Block" is what most people would refer to as a striker blocker. Walther seems to use the terms "striker" and "firing pin" fairly interchangeably. While Walther's P99 advertising touts a "Firing pin block for safe carry" the P99 Owners Manual lists the part as "#18 Striker Safety Assembly."

Walther is not the only company to mix terms; Glock also has a "firing pin safety" that most people call a striker blocker.
Old March 15, 2018, 12:45 PM   #15
Mike Irwin
Staff

I just took a close look at the target in the OP's post...

7.65 (.32 ACP)...

Dang.

Now I want a PPQ in .32 ACP with what would probably be an 18-or-more-round magazine....

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 15, 2018, 01:30 PM   #16
Fishbed77

Quote:
I may one day just buy the compact model of it...short grip, easily concealed, full grip, still barely taller than a G19.
The compact P99cAS is considerably smaller than a Glock 19 - it is about the same size as a Glock 26 and holds 10 rounds in the standard magazine.

The standard "full-size" P99AS is about the same size as a Glock 19, and like the 19, holds 15 rounds in the standard magazine (although 16-round flush magazines do exist).

Quote:
I like DA/SA guns and I know the DA on this is supposed to be pretty sweet (and lighter than most hammer guns I believe?)
The single-action pull is ~4.5lbs and the double-action pull is about ~8.5lbs. Like the PPQ, the reset is incredibly short.
Old March 15, 2018, 03:20 PM   #17
Model12Win

Guys I have since put 750 round of Magtech 115 grain ball through the gun.

0 issues.

Hoping to run some more ball and a box of Speer Gold Dots through it at the range today. Will report back, this gun feels like an extension of the hand. May well be a new favorite!
Old March 15, 2018, 03:53 PM   #18
Siggy-06

I have the P99c AS. Best trigger I've ever had in a poly gun.
Old March 15, 2018, 04:02 PM   #19
Fishbed77

Quote:
Hoping to run some more ball and a box of Speer Gold Dots through it at the range today. Will report back, this gun feels like an extension of the hand. May well be a new favorite!
124 grain Speer Gold Dots are my preferred defensive round for all of my 9mm pistols. They run flawlessly in my P99AS, and I expect they will in yours as well. The P99 has a reputation for being able to eat pretty much any 9x19mm ammo.
Old March 15, 2018, 04:19 PM   #20
CockNBama

That's a very good looking pistol. It looks very much like my PPQ. What are the differences between the two models?
Old March 16, 2018, 05:58 AM   #21
OhioGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockNBama View Post
That's a very good looking pistol. It looks very much like my PPQ. What are the differences between the two models?
It basically is the PPQ. It has the "anti stress trigger" you can read more about, but it's a DA/SA striker with a decocking button.

Demo here https://youtu.be/GZSYSKDlzwI

After racking the slide, the SA trigger is in the forward position and requires light pressure to move back to the SA position. I think the idea is that keeping the SA in the fully forward position is a guard against feeling around for the trigger under stress. I believe the gun is meant to be carried in DA condition and so it's unclear to me when it would ever be in anti stress position other than after a reload.

I believe the PPQ is basically an SAO version of the P99 with a trigger dingus safety.

Last edited by OhioGuy; March 16, 2018 at 06:05 AM.
Old March 16, 2018, 01:20 PM   #22
gc70

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockNBama
The PPQ is basically a simplified P99AS.

The P99AS has three trigger modes:
  • DA: long ~8.5lb trigger pull
  • AS: long, nearly effortless travel to SA position
  • SA: short ~4.5lb trigger pull
The PPQ has one trigger mode, which is the same as the SA mode of the P99AS.

The P99AS also has a decocker, which allows the user to switch at will between the three trigger modes. The default mode after loading the gun is AS, but the gun can be decocked to DA mode, or the trigger can be pulled back to lock into a detent at the SA position.
Old March 16, 2018, 05:49 PM   #23
CockNBama

Thanks for the explanations. That is pretty interesting.