The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 21, 2018, 08:09 AM   #26
jr24

I didnt like how a loose mag sat in my pocket so I Bought a Snagmag for pocket carry. Not terribly cheap for what you get but it does work very well in jeans.
Old September 21, 2018, 01:52 PM   #27
Rangerrich99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday 1950 View Post
I just carry my extra magazine in my
Right pocket. Just plain & simple
Sorry, but carrying a spare mag in your pocket is the worst way to carry a spare mag. Try getting it out while moving towards cover. Heck, try getting it out while just walking quickly. Now try it bent over, not looking at your hand (focused on either getting to cover or the BG), navigating the area, etc.

I've tried to access a spare mag in my pockets (both the front and the leg cargo pocket) during a training class; it's ridiculously clumsy. If I were in an actual gunfight at the times, I would've been walking/running around without a loaded gun for ten or more seconds.

In one case I was forced to stop running the drill to yank the mag (somehow got stuck ) out of my pocket.

In other words, I most likely would've been killed trying to get a mag out of my pocket. And forget trying to get a subcompact mag out of your pocket under stress; in practice you'll probably be unable to even find the thing in your pocket.

Like I said though, don't take my word for it, try it out for yourself. Create any semi-realistic scenario for yourself and just try getting your mag out of your pocket while trying to move off the X/towards cover. Then try it with even a crappy mag carrier. There's no comparison.
Old September 21, 2018, 03:06 PM   #28
willr

Whatever way you find to carry it, don't carry it in Calif.
willr
Old September 21, 2018, 07:23 PM   #29
Red Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
I'm struggling to find a good way to carry a spare CZ magazine, mostly because the sharp corners of the base plate jab into me no matter where I carry it. My preferred position is AIWB.

The best I've found is a Alien Gear carrier with a neoprene pad, so it solves the discomfort but almost doubles the thickness of the magazine and isn't great for bulk or concealment.

My single stack is a Walther and the spare magazine is rounded off and doesn't bother me.

Any suggestions? Pocket carry is bulky. Off body means I'd never be able to pull off a speed reload in the event of a malfunction.

Struggling to come up with a solution.

I'm concerned much more about possible malfunction than needing extra bullets. If 15+1 doesn't cut it I'm probably screwed already
That's why I carry a GLOCK slimline G36 .45 ACP.

6+1+6 with a slim light weight IWB pistol - and a slim light weight pocket mag for that mythical mag failure.

Red.
Old September 21, 2018, 07:37 PM   #30
Red Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerrich99 View Post
Sorry, but carrying a spare mag in your pocket is the worst way to carry a spare mag. Try getting it out while moving towards cover. Heck, try getting it out while just walking quickly. Now try it bent over, not looking at your hand (focused on either getting to cover or the BG), navigating the area, etc.

I've tried to access a spare mag in my pockets (both the front and the leg cargo pocket) during a training class; it's ridiculously clumsy. If I were in an actual gunfight at the times, I would've been walking/running around without a loaded gun for ten or more seconds.

In one case I was forced to stop running the drill to yank the mag (somehow got stuck ) out of my pocket.

In other words, I most likely would've been killed trying to get a mag out of my pocket. And forget trying to get a subcompact mag out of your pocket under stress; in practice you'll probably be unable to even find the thing in your pocket.

Like I said though, don't take my word for it, try it out for yourself. Create any semi-realistic scenario for yourself and just try getting your mag out of your pocket while trying to move off the X/towards cover. Then try it with even a crappy mag carrier. There's no comparison.
I carry a GLOCK G36 mag in my left front trouser pocket feed down ahead of my wallet. They nestle side-by-side. The mag is longer and the rounds are facing forward so the top round nose indexes with the end of my index finger on the grab. Stays put and works slick.

Red.
Old September 22, 2018, 03:31 PM   #31
xandi

A Gerber multi tool pouch on a belt, will hold a 16 round mag perfectly
And it looks like a multi tool
Old September 22, 2018, 05:20 PM   #32
AK103K

Quote:
Originally Posted by xandi View Post
A Gerber multi tool pouch on a belt, will hold a 16 round mag perfectly
And it looks like a multi tool
I went the other way. Wore out the leather carrier my Leatherman came in, and use a Blade Tech 1911 mag carrier for it now. Works great.

Ive used a nylon knife pouch as a mag carrier in the past, but that was a long time ago. These days, I find kydex works much better.

Ive made kydex pocket mag carriers for a couple of friends in the past. They are sorta shaped like the pocket, have a slight bend to them, to fit the contour of your leg, and carry two mags.

I carry to much other junk in my pockets for them to work for me, and as was mentioned, its a lot easier to get to the mag, when its outside of the pocket. They dont get all those dust bunnies in them either.
Old September 22, 2018, 06:53 PM   #33
SDF880

Clinger holsters makes a neat pocket mag holster I have
a 15rd mag in one in my pocket now! I'm very happy
with this and will likely pick up a few more!
Old September 23, 2018, 07:42 PM   #34
OhioGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
That's why I carry a GLOCK slimline G36 .45 ACP.

6+1+6 with a slim light weight IWB pistol - and a slim light weight pocket mag for that mythical mag failure.

Red.
Plus, one round of .45 will stop the bad guy and his entire family! ������
Old October 7, 2018, 12:15 AM   #35
jjavedas

Best way to carry a 15 round spare magazine

In your left hand
Old October 8, 2018, 05:01 PM   #36
RETG

I've carried a spare in a pocket many times; not so much around here, but when I used to work.
This neomag works and I assume it will work for mags other than H&K
https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/NeoM...-257p18365.htm
I give MY OPINION (not often) based on many years shooting at, other than paper targets. I will not debate my experience vs. your experience based on dreams and "what ifs." I'm 73; I'm too damn old to care.
Old October 8, 2018, 08:49 PM   #37
Mobuck

"The flap type could easily be taken for a Leatherman pouch at a casual glance."
I use GI digital camo flapped mag pouches for my "belt accessories"(flashlight, multi-tool, phone, and pistol mag).