The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 16, 2018, 07:36 PM   #1
OhioGuy

Best way to carry a 15 round spare magazine?

I'm struggling to find a good way to carry a spare CZ magazine, mostly because the sharp corners of the base plate jab into me no matter where I carry it. My preferred position is AIWB.

The best I've found is a Alien Gear carrier with a neoprene pad, so it solves the discomfort but almost doubles the thickness of the magazine and isn't great for bulk or concealment.

My single stack is a Walther and the spare magazine is rounded off and doesn't bother me.

Any suggestions? Pocket carry is bulky. Off body means I'd never be able to pull off a speed reload in the event of a malfunction.

Struggling to come up with a solution.

I'm concerned much more about possible malfunction than needing extra bullets. If 15+1 doesn't cut it I'm probably screwed already
Old September 16, 2018, 07:40 PM   #2
jr24

Have you looked at a different baseplate as an option?

I know I had that issue with my BHP when I carried it and after some searching I found out the polymer Beretta 92 baseplates fit. Ugly as sin, but more comfortable.

Prior to that I used electricians tape on the sharp corners.

But I OWB my mags, IWB I'd just use something with a sweat shield.
Old September 16, 2018, 07:40 PM   #3
cslinger

OWB in a horizontal holster. That’s my go to if I drag out another mag.
Old September 16, 2018, 07:48 PM   #4
lee n. field

Magholder lists the CZ75 as a gun they will make their horizontal mag carrier for.

https://www.magholder.com/product-p/mhcustom.htm
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old September 16, 2018, 07:53 PM   #5
OhioGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cslinger View Post
OWB in a horizontal holster. That’s my go to if I drag out another mag.
Woah. In all this time, OWB never occurred to me once.

Mind = blown...

The Alien Gear carrier I already have is convertible to OWB too.
Old September 16, 2018, 07:56 PM   #6
JJ45

As they say you never know if you will need a spare mag but the highest capacity mag pistol I sometimes carry concealed has 16 round mags. With one in the pipe that gives me 17 rounds in a pistol that has never malfunctioned....I'm not going to concern myself with an extra mag.

But thats for "street" carry. Depends on the venue. Out in the boonies, woods, etc. for open carry I like a flap holster with an integral mag pouch. It's still somewhat concealed as I usually have a shirt on long enough to at least partially conceal it.The only problem is the street is probably more dangerous than the woods
Old September 16, 2018, 08:09 PM   #7
cslinger

I use this/similar. Inexpensive, very good retention, very light foot print.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/safa...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old September 16, 2018, 08:28 PM   #8
OhioGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ45 View Post
As they say you never know if you will need a spare mag but the highest capacity mag pistol I sometimes carry concealed has 16 round mags. With one in the pipe that gives me 17 rounds in a pistol that has never malfunctioned....I'm not going to concern myself with an extra mag.

But thats for "street" carry. Depends on the venue. Out in the boonies, woods, etc. for open carry I like a flap holster with an integral mag pouch. It's still somewhat concealed as I usually have a shirt on long enough to at least partially conceal it.The only problem is the street is probably more dangerous than the woods
I get that. My CZ has had exactly two malfuntions out of probably 4000 rounds and both were in the same box of frangible ammo. I'm not actually worried about a problem. I'm more coming at it from a "hey why not" POV.
Old September 16, 2018, 09:52 PM   #9
tipoc

I had a similar problem with my spare mag for a Sig P229. I could find no solution till I was inspired by this scene from a movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVxl__61vKI

It's been 9 years now.

tipoc
4. Identify your target and know what is beyond it.
Old September 16, 2018, 09:59 PM   #10
cslinger

That’s where I carry my SHTF 33 round Glock stick. . So yes I have a stick up my.....
Old September 16, 2018, 10:44 PM   #11
disseminator

I've carried a spare mag in one of these for several years now and it's like it's not even there until you need it:

https://www.blackarchholsters.com/co...nt=19352693574

I recommend the one for 10mm / 45 even for a 9mm double stack.
Old September 16, 2018, 10:47 PM   #12
TunnelRat

I used the Magholder product for a while and it worked great. Lately I've been using these and find they work much better for me than other vertical OWB pouches.

https://blackrhinoconcealment.com/ky...mag-carrier-cz
Maintain situational awareness
Old September 16, 2018, 11:11 PM   #13
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I prefer a mag pouch with a flap -- nothing screams "Look! He's got a gun!" like an open-top magazine carrier. The flap type could easily be taken for a Leatherman pouch at a casual glance.

https://www.copsplus.com/safariland-...-case-model-76
Old September 16, 2018, 11:24 PM   #14
Cheapshooter

Don't get "tunnel vision" thinking gun accessories. I use a soft ballistic nylon utility tool (Leatherman type) case with belt loops for horizontal carry. I have one large enough for the 12 round extended mag for my XD40 Subcompact, or the 17 round mag for my Sig P320 Cary. Also a smaller one that fits the mag for my LCP. Found them on ebay for less than ten bucks.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old September 16, 2018, 11:37 PM   #15
TunnelRat

Quote:
nothing screams "Look! He's got a gun!" like an open-top magazine carrier.
Assuming it's visible, which I would argue it shouldn't be. Nothing wrong with a flap if you want it, but a lot of single mag carriers are very flush to the body and print less than the pistol you're carrying.
Maintain situational awareness
Old September 17, 2018, 07:18 AM   #16
Carmady

Ankle holster.
Old September 17, 2018, 07:59 AM   #17
jr24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat View Post
Assuming it's visible, which I would argue it shouldn't be. Nothing wrong with a flap if you want it, but a lot of single mag carriers are very flush to the body and print less than the pistol you're carrying.
Right, it also goes under the shirt and is concealed.

In my area nearly every man I see has either a phone case or leatherman/flashlight on his belt so anyone seeing a straightish bulge on the belt will assume one of those, most likely.

Then again, with a Kytex carrier, my mags dont print at all unless I'm carrying a spare Glock 21 or Para 14.45 mag, and if I'm carrying the accompanying gun I'm wearing more than a tshirt anyhow.
Old September 17, 2018, 12:15 PM   #18
T. O'Heir

Loose in a pocket is the absolute worst place for a mag. Buy or make a leather pouch.
Mind you, for self defence, you really shouldn't need a second mag. You are not going into combat. If you can't deal with whatever is bothering you with 10 plus rounds, another mag isn't going to help.
Old September 17, 2018, 12:39 PM   #19
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. O'Heir View Post
Loose in a pocket is the absolute worst place for a mag. Buy or make a leather pouch.
Mind you, for self defence, you really shouldn't need a second mag. You are not going into combat. If you can't deal with whatever is bothering you with 10 plus rounds, another mag isn't going to help.
An extra mag isn't just for capacity. In the event of a malfunction that requires stripping the magazine having a spare magazine is a plus. I've also never really gone with the, "If you can't handle it in X rounds...", logic. If I end up with extra ammunition I won't consider it wasted and I have yet to find an exact way to predict exactly how many rounds I'll need in a fight. If I knew a fight was going to happen I'd not be there, which to me also comes into play in that if the argument is it's statically unlikely to need more rounds I'd point out it's statically unlikely to need the gun in the first place. Besides the reasons above, I also find an extra magazine just makes my belt feel more balanced.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited by TunnelRat; September 18, 2018 at 03:43 PM.
Old September 17, 2018, 12:45 PM   #20
FITASC

Leatherman or similar belt pouch; nice and discreet.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old September 17, 2018, 02:19 PM   #21
wnycollector

In the winter I carry my spare mag for S&W 990 in a horizontal OWB carrier. In the summer I pocket carry a spare mag for my LCP.
Old September 18, 2018, 02:38 PM   #22
HistoryJunky

I haven't bought a decent mag carrier yet. It's on my list. Right now I carry 1 spare magazine in the "watch pocket" of my jeans.

It holds any of my double stack mags tightly and its deep enough but not too deep.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
Old September 18, 2018, 03:02 PM   #23
AK103K

I use one of these types of mag carriers (on left) with a Magpul 21` round mag for my Glock.

Paracord loop around my belt and the mag rides IWB at about 5:30. I was skeptical about it at first, but after using it awhile now, I really like it. Its comfortable has little bulk, and is easily accessed.

The other mag carriers I used to use, and still do on occasion, are Blade Tech OWB single and double carriers at about 8:00, right behind my Leatherman, which is also in one of those type carriers.

Quote:
LOL. What?

Ill bet you have one of those elusive and very valuble magic balls that tells you exactly what you need, and when youll need it, dont you?
Old September 18, 2018, 04:48 PM   #24
Rangerrich99

Have you looked at StealthGear mag carriers?

I have a couple of their IWB single-mag appendix carry (one long, one short). They have regular two-clip single-mag as well as double-mag carriers, and even OWB mag carriers, and these have been without question the most comfortable mag carriers I've found so far. They have a padded backer that protects you from the mag completely, and can be adjusted for height for even more comfort-ability. They are tension adjustable, and of course, machine washable.

The caveat to that is that I have only bought about 10 of mag carriers total, so I can't say that I've tried dozens of different mag carriers from a dozen different brands. So I can't say with authority that these are the best out there. But they're the best I've found so far, and it's not even close.

They are a bit pricey at about $50/each, or $70 for the double mag carriers, which is more than I've spent on several of my pistol holsters, but if I'm carrying a mag for 8+ hours a day, it's the best I've found for such duty.
Old September 21, 2018, 12:47 AM   #25
Doc Holliday 1950

I just carry my extra magazine in my
Right pocket. Just plain & simple

Doc