The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 6, 2017, 05:44 PM   #26
laytonj1

I'm a calibration technician. While no one has brought in a HF torque wrench for calibration, customers have brought in numerous micrometers from HF (Pittsburgh brand). Every one of them were out of tolerance.
Tools are one of those things that you get what you pay for.

Jim
Old July 6, 2017, 07:48 PM   #27
kenny53

I just bought a 36 inch pipe wrench from HF. I figured it was for a one, maybe two time use. It worked great and saved a lot of work all for twenty bucks. I use a lot of their C clamps. They work well. At one time I only wanted to buy higher quality tools from Lowes, Home Depot, and Sears. But most of their stuff is from China. The only thing I will not buy from HF is an American flag. Buying the American flag made in China is wrong.
Old July 6, 2017, 10:01 PM   #28
FrankenMauser

Just some minor comments on HF torque wrenches and tools...

I have a 1/4" drive, two 3/8" drive*, and one 1/2" drive torque wrenches from HF. None have ever given me problems.
*(I lost one for about a year, and bought a replacement ... only to find the original when I put the replacement away. )

In contrast, about 5 years ago, I had a major pain of a job that required removing six tapered 1/4"-to-5/16" square socket set screws that were Lock-Tited into a 200+ lb chunk of cast iron. Heat was not an option. I ground a hex key to match (careful to keep it cool), and ruined that thing in a heart beat.
I broke two Stanley 1/4" - 3/8" drive adapters, then two Kobalt, then a Snap-On, then a HF, and twisted (but didn't break) a Craftsman; before just drilling the set screws out and using a few EZ-Outs to get the job done.

This month, I finally got around to addressing the bag of broken tools I've accumulated over the last five years, including those adapters.
The Stanleys were toast. No real warranty.
The Snap-On guy refused to replace anything, since I'm not a regular customer.
Sears says I abused the Craftsman adapter, and refused replacement. (True, but they say that about everything...)
The Kobalt tools were replaced, even though it took 4 managers and the head cashier to eventually call the tool guy and verify that the things were guaranteed for life -- no questions asked.

But the HF adapter? The cashier told me I needed to bring in the rest of the set (apparently I bought a multi-piece set...?). I asked to speak with a manager, whom promptly walked back, grabbed a 4-piece adapter set, handed it to me, and told me to have a nice day.

Some tools are better than others.
And all tool companies suck.
But some handle replacement better than others.