The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 5, 2018, 09:19 AM   #26
Bottom Gun

My first pistol was a Series 70, Mark IV in .45 ACP. I paid the full MSRP of $125 for it in 1971. I added a Colt .22/.45 conversion to it and that's how I learned to shoot handguns.
Of the six Series 70, Mark IV Colts I've owned, only one of the six has been what I consider a good shooter. In contrast, every Kimber and Les Baer I own is an excellent shooter.

In my experience, Colt repair service is terrible. I sent a new model Ace to them THREE TIMES because the slide stop was deforming the slide. Each time they kept the pistol for three months. After over nine months of dicking around, they were unable to fix the problem so I finally sold the pistol for parts. No more Colts for me. If you had a similar experience with repair service, would you buy another pistol from them?

The Colt AR15s are nothing special either. When I compare my Colt Match Target to my older Bushmasters, the Bushmasters have it beat in both workmanship and accuracy.

In my opinion, Colts are for collectors and other brands are for serious shooters.

Mechanical engineers have their moments.
Old October 5, 2018, 04:22 PM   #27
ChasHam

Got a satin nickel and a still very very shiny blue Colt Series 70 1911 45 ACP Both purchased new in the mid 70's and still totally OEM except for some aftermarket and surplus magazines.

Fine, fine guns. Shoot them whenever I get a chance, especially the S-N.

Reliable, satisfying amount of hand-filling fire power, fun to shoot-- and regrettably these days, more accurate than I can still hold.

My only gripe? The S-N develops a green residue after shooting jacketed handloads and has to be recleaned a couple of times over the ensuing few weeks. Even so, the finish has held up fine for 40+ years
Old October 5, 2018, 05:04 PM   #28
Model12Win

Thanks to those who responded who actually own new Colt’s pistols.

Last edited by JohnKSa; October 5, 2018 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Removed unacceptable content.
Old October 5, 2018, 07:50 PM   #29
KyJim

The "loose Colt" perception started when Colt made 1911s for the military and licensed others to make them during wartime. Tolerances had to be loose enough that any random part from any random manufacturer would easily fit with parts from any other manufacturer and still function well. The pistols might rattle a bit but typically shot fine.

Colt was also stuck with using old machinery until about 10 years ago when they were able to purchase CNC machinery and tighten tolerances. I've got a couple of the post-CNC Colts and they don't rattle, are reliable, and shoot acceptably well. My only gripes about Colt 1911s are the long trigger they normally use (I have small hands) and the triggers are typically heavier than I like (mine were 6 to 7 pounds). Some like both "features" and both can be modified.
Old October 5, 2018, 09:29 PM   #30
Armybrat

Well, I may be pretty stupid because I let my DIL have my new stainless 70 several years ago. I hear they aren't making them in that configuration these days.

Old October 6, 2018, 11:29 AM   #31
T. O'Heir

"...MIM trash..." There's nothing wrong with MIM parts. That's yet another internet myth promulgated by people who don't know what they're talking about.
The CMP pistols are reputed to be in rough condition. That being the reason the U.S. military gave at the time for replacing 'em.
Old October 6, 2018, 01:51 PM   #32
lamarw

I have not read or heard this anywhere: "The CMP pistols are reputed to be in rough condition. That being the reason the U.S. military gave at the time for replacing 'em." Please provide your source of information.

This is the information provided by the Civilian Marksmanship Program:

"CMP has priced the 1911 type pistols at fair market value in accordance with CMP's enabling legislation.

Service Grade $1050. Pistol may exhibit minor pitting and wear on exterior surfaces and friction surfaces. Grips are complete with no cracks. Pistol is in issuable condition. Pistols may contain commercial parts.

Field Grade $950. Pistol may exhibit minor rust, pitting, and wear on exterior surfaces and friction surfaces. Grips are complete with no cracks. Pistol is in issuable condition. Pistols may contain commercial parts.

Rack Grade $850. Pistol will exhibit rust, pitting, and wear on exterior surfaces and friction surfaces. Grips may be incomplete and exhibit cracks. Pistol requires minor work to return to issuable condition but is functional. Pistols may contain commercial parts.

Auction Grade (Sales will to be determined by auctioning the pistol). The condition of the auction pistol will be described when posted for auction. Note: If you have already purchased a 1911 from CMP you will not be allowed to purchase an auction 1911. If you purchase an auction 1911, your name will be pulled from the sequenced list. No repeat purchasers are allowed until all orders received have been filled. Pistols may contain commercial parts.

All pistols are inspected and test fired by the CMP. The shipping cost is included in the price."
Old October 6, 2018, 02:46 PM   #33
TunnelRat

That reads like rough condition to me...

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old October 6, 2018, 03:31 PM   #34
dgludwig

Quote:
Colt's are deliberately fitted on the "loose" side which has some benefits.
Maybe, as KyJim speculated, 1911s intended for military use were intentionally made "loose" in terms of fit by Colt to accommodate severe use in all kinds of weather; maximum interchangeability of parts between pistols and having little benefit of routine and thorough maintenance regimens due to battle conditions. But I doubt very much that Colt is deliberately making their pistols with loose tolerances for the civilian market-you don't keep your cliental base loyal with sloppily made pistols on purpose.
Old October 6, 2018, 04:10 PM   #35
lamarw

I carried numerous M1911A1's during my military time, and they were reliable and acceptable in my opinion. I would rate the various ones I carried to include a Remington Rand in Nam as similar to the description of the "Service Grade" by CMP.

The reason many of us want one is not for a new out of the box pistol. There have been many of us awaiting one of these for several years now since the initial rumors of them being turned over to CMP. I have a "rough" as some of you might put it M1911 manufactured by Colt in 1918. It shows its use and service but is not loose. It is a solid gun and all original parts namely the frame, slide, sights, hammer, trigger, barrel, grips and various other key components. It is my hope I will have a decent M1911A1 in even better condition to display next to it.

Prices of these old war horses have far exceeded the prices mentioned above by CMP. Others opinions and view points don't detract from my desire to score one. You had best believe there is a reason CMP is using a lottery system, and it is because of the expected demand.

Last edited by lamarw; October 6, 2018 at 04:15 PM.
Old October 6, 2018, 04:19 PM   #36
Nanuk

First the revolver thread, now this.......
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old October 8, 2018, 07:57 AM   #37
Fishbed77

Quote:
Thanks to those who responded who actually own new Colt’s pistols.
You are welcome.
Old October 8, 2018, 10:32 AM   #38
RickB

Quote:
I have not read or heard this anywhere: "The CMP pistols are reputed to be in rough condition. That being the reason the U.S. military gave at the time for replacing 'em." Please provide your source of information.
A member at 1911forum posted very extensive photo documentation of seven M1911A1 pistols released by the DoD within the last year.
No way of knowing if they came from the same pool of pistols that will be sold to the public, and, I don't know how many different sources or grades there will be when they're done sorting.
The seven guns in question were very rough.
They appear to have been sandblasted and refinished multiple times, to the extent that stamps and rollmarks were faint.
Some guns had damage from having been dropped or other (used as hammer?).
One gun had the rear sight crudely staked in place like an AR gas key.
I would not pay $1000 for any of the pistols I saw at the forum.
There will supposedly be some very nice examples up for auction (despite the government's claims that all M1911A1s are old and worn-out, there are guns in virtually unissued condition), and I'd expect those go north of $2000.
Old October 8, 2018, 10:39 AM   #39
lamarw

This link seems to differ from the above: https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...-inside-story/

We will not know for sure until some folks start providing reports and pictures of the ones they have purchased.