The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 8, 2018, 12:50 PM   #51
LineStretcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by old roper View Post
LineStretcher, If you action was build by Sauer it would have prefix p. If your action doesn't have prefix it was build USA.

http://www.weatherby.com/support/aut...e-history.html
Actually it is a JP Sauer & Sohns. Its known as a Pre Mark V built prior to the patent. The action and barrel were both made in Germany and then shipped to Southgate for final assembly. FN Mauser would not build a 200,000 psi action and bolt so he got Sauer to do it and the end result was the Mark V.
Old September 8, 2018, 03:38 PM   #52
Chaparral

Wow that is nice! I sure am envious. I have numerous Weatherbys and I love them all. Boy those pictures and that caliber made me lose it for a minute. I must have been making sounds or something. My wife had to look over my shoulder to make sure what I was looking at.
Old September 8, 2018, 04:09 PM   #53
old roper

LineStretcher. Actually those action where made here in the US. Might want to read history of Weatherby.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weatherby
NRA Life Member
Old September 8, 2018, 04:10 PM   #54
LineStretcher

Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaparral View Post
Wow that is nice! I sure am envious. I have numerous Weatherbys and I love them all. Boy those pictures and that caliber made me lose it for a minute. I must have been making sounds or something. My wife had to look over my shoulder to make sure what I was looking at.
Old September 12, 2018, 09:04 AM   #55
LineStretcher

Quote:
LineStretcher. Actually those action where made here in the US. Might want to read history of Weatherby.
Wikipedia is wrong. I have the actual Weatherby book that identifies exactly where my action was made. The proof is on the barrel with German Federal mark and the Kiel insignia. My rifle is what is known as a pre-Mark V marked with patent pending and made in Germany (not W. Germany) My serial number does not have a letter prefix.

It is true that the final assembly was done in South Gate, Ca. Very early Weatherby Actions were made in the US at South Gate but they moved manufacturing of the actions and barrels to FN Mauser and Brevix (france) first but when Roy Weatherby found out many owners were shooting really hot loads he asked FN to make the action and bolt capable of handling 200,000 psi. FN said no, it would be too costly so Roy contacted J.P. Sauer and Sohn and they said yes. This is when the bolt changed from Mauser to what they are today. Mine was made in 1960 but I have no info as to when it was first sold.
Old September 12, 2018, 05:52 PM   #56
LineStretcher

It's almost done. I was at Scheels in Reno, NV today and they have a huge inventory of scopes. I had a Leupold VX-3i on it and was going to put lower rings on it but then started looking at scopes and comparing them. I was looking at scopes in the thousand dollar range when he handed me a Vortex Diamond back and I compared to the VX3 and then the VX6. The Diamondback is their hunter line and I was so impressed with it, I took it home.
I got the 4x16 42mm HP model which is the top of the Diamondback line. Field of view at 100 yards and 4x is impressive and having side focus down to 20 yards beats the VX3 which has no parallax correction.

The last thing I need to do is wait for the Boyd stock to arrive and put it on. I spent a lot of time on this stock and I'll retire it so that if I ever get rid of the rifle the next owner can decide which one they want. Always good to be able to sell a Weatherby in original condition.

The sun shade is a bit of overkill and I doubt I'll ever use it when hunting.
Old September 13, 2018, 11:27 AM   #57
old roper

LineStretcher, Weatherby history site has those actions list 1958 and I post that site here, case you missed it.

http://www.weatherby.com/support/aut...e-history.html

I would think someone used them and they are MARK V. If those actions copied by whoever and they call them pre Mark V so be it.
NRA Life Member
Old September 13, 2018, 11:41 AM   #58
LineStretcher

I fully understand why you think you are correct, the Weatherby history can be very confusing. Weatherby has confirmed my conclusion and is sending me a signed certificate of Authentication. I'll scan it and post it here when I get it.

Weatherby sponsor's the Weatherby Nation forum and you can get some great information there if you wish. Their only history checker is currently down while they switch to new software. They do have a listing of serial numbers and date ranges and by that you might think that my 1960 rifle was either built by Brevix or FN Mauser and in fact some of them were still being produced by those folks but they would have both had the Mauser bolt so there's the difference.

As I said before, you will not find a FN or Brevix rifle with a PFI bolt in it because they did not make the actions that the bolt fit. The PFI bolt is a 200,000 PSI bolt and the J.P. Sauer and Sohn's action is the only one it fits.

The term pre-Mark V is used to describe Mark V rifles that were being built while the patent was still pending. The serial numbers do not have a letter prefix but to confuse that a little more there were several that were produced after the patent was approved and the "patent pending" statement on the action was dropped. Soon after that they placed a P in front of the serial number. The letter designation used today makes it easier to identify where the rifles are made. Today, all Weatherby Actions are made by Howa in Japan.

Last edited by LineStretcher; September 13, 2018 at 11:46 AM.
Old September 25, 2018, 04:16 PM   #59
LineStretcher

Got my Boyd Platinum stock today. It fits like a glove. I still want to bed the recoil lug.Its a straight butt versus classic Weatherby drop but the length of pull at 13 3/4 fits my long arms much better.
Old September 27, 2018, 10:34 PM   #60
Dano4734

I oose jealousy
Old October 3, 2018, 09:56 PM   #61
LineStretcher

I got to thinking about the 58 year old barrel on this rifle so I got a bore scope and took a look. My gut was right, the throat is heat cracked pretty bad and the rifling about 12" up is almost non existent. I sent the screen shots to Weatherby and they said it would probably shoot safely but it may keyhole.

I'm into the rifle 1700.00 now with the new Boyds stock and just cant see putting any more money in it. It will be nearly 800.00 when all is said and done if I rebarrel it via Weatherby and the stock won't fit the new barrel. Original is a #1 and the new one will be a #2. I can mill out the new stock but I really don't want to.

I'm going to put the original stock back on it and then see if I can find a buyer for the Boyds. It fits the German Mark V with a #1 barrel not the Japanese Mark V with the #2 barrel.

Ill pull the firing pin out of it and then hang it on the mantle. It's too pretty to just sit in the safe. I'm and old fart that lives alone in the middle of the high desert so I can display my guns and nobody gives a hoot.

I just bought a new .257 WM from Sportsman's Warehouse for 2381.00 after tax.
Old October 19, 2018, 05:44 PM   #62
LineStretcher

Got my new .257 WM Deluxe. I put my Swarovski X5 on it with the Weatherby insignia Tally rings and bases. Sure is pretty. I'll break it in tomorrow maybe.