The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 25, 2018, 09:42 PM   #26
rick9748

USP 45c or compact

Read through comments.Is my conclusion correct??No mechanical advantage to either model.Feel of weapon in hand and operation personal choices.Will be getting LEM on which ever gun I choose.
Let's digress; other top rated compact, 45 acp you carry and like.I have Colt commander and love it but do other compact models have any advantage??
Thanks for any info.
RickP
Old September 26, 2018, 02:31 PM   #27
JDBerg

The HK USP40 that I once owned had that hump at the bottom of the trigger guard, and the tip of my trigger finger would often get pinched between the hump and the tip of the trigger. I still regret parting with that gun since it and my P226 were the best forties that I’ve ever owned.

I currently have my HK45 which is one of the best firearms that I own.
Old September 26, 2018, 06:35 PM   #28
Red Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach4047 View Post
I think the Glock models are a bit big for my preference as well. I haven't picked up a glock 30 yet though but the 21 was certainly a large grip and would be well suited for a person with a large hand. I even thought the G19 grip was a bit big and that's supposed to be their compact size. The G30 is close in size to the G19 I hear.

Roach
The answer to your problem.

The GLOCK G36 slimline 6+1 .45 ACP.

GLOCK Compact .45 ACP's
G36 vs. G30

Just add Rhinoplasty.

Red
Old September 27, 2018, 10:03 PM   #29
Rob228

^

I carried a Glock 36 for a while, it is light and as reliable as any Glock.

From my experience the negative was:
Not pleasant to shoot (plenty accurate and reliable, but I can shoot my 19 all day long)
Its an oddball size as far as any aftermarket parts/accessories.

It'll definitely fit the bill for something thinner than a 30.
Old September 28, 2018, 01:31 PM   #30
davidsog

Quote:
Well once discovering the HK 45c I quickly took note that HK offered several compact pistols chambered for the 45 ACP.
The HK .45's are some very good combat pistols.

The magazines are interchangeable between the HK USPc .45 and HK .45c.

The rail system is HK's proprietary rail on the USPc .45 and Universal on the HK45c.

The USPc .45 is smaller dimensionally than the HK .45c.

https://hk-usa.com/comparison-result/?models=186,190

It comes down to personal preference.

I do not use a rail system when carrying concealed but that is personal preference. The thinner pistol is easier to conceal and more comfortable to carry therefore I chose a USPc .45.

Another very popular HK is the P2000SK .40 cal. and is even more concealable.

You just cannot go wrong with H&K.
Old September 28, 2018, 02:19 PM   #31
TunnelRat

The problem with the 1913 rail on the HK45c is that the angled front trigger guard doesn't allow it to mount a number of the larger lights, like the TLR1 (not sure about the X300). We used to bemoan this on the HK forums.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old September 28, 2018, 08:24 PM   #32
davidsog

The guys I shot after lighting them up with my surefire did not seem to care what brand of light I used.
Old September 28, 2018, 08:36 PM   #33
TunnelRat

That's cool. That doesn't change that a TLR-1 won't fit it, nor that last I looked the X300 won't fit unless it's modified. Granted that was a few years ago, so maybe that's changed. If it doesn't matter to you that those lights won't fit, yay. Given they are two of the more popular weapon mounted pistols lights on the market, pointing that out doesn't seem out of left field and seems relevant for the thread, to me at least.
Maintain situational awareness

Last edited by TunnelRat; September 28, 2018 at 08:48 PM.
Old September 28, 2018, 09:01 PM   #34
cslinger

HK45c is an awesome piece of kit...........with a USELESS rail.

Don’t let the rail be your deciding factor.

Beyond that ....... yes I would say it comes down to feel. I like the P2000 very much so for me I like the 45c as it is basically a P2000 .45.

Honestly between the two for a serious social pucker factor it’s gotta work NOW Gun......... both are equal. IMO. The USP probably has a better trigger in the sense that one is Shi;!y and one is crappy. . Either are real deal well made bring you home guns equal to or better than anything out there.
Old September 28, 2018, 09:16 PM   #35
TunnelRat

I used a P2000 for a number of years as my primary carry. Really like that pistol. The HK45c felt a natural alternative. I do add Talon grips to it because it seems a bit slick for the caliber. I had two HK45cs, still have one. The trigger got a lot better over a number of rounds.
Maintain situational awareness
Old September 28, 2018, 09:34 PM   #36
Bentonville

I’ve owned both. Years ago I chose to keep the HK45c with the LEM trigger over USP45c DA/SA due to the more ergonomic grip (interchangeable back straps) for my smallish hands and the consistent trigger. Both pistols are very accurate for me. Both are totally reliable in my experience.
Old September 29, 2018, 04:00 PM   #37
davidsog

Quote:
Years ago I chose to keep the HK45c with the LEM trigger over USP45c DA/SA due to the more ergonomic grip (interchangeable back straps) for my smallish hands and the consistent trigger.
I am with you on the LEM trigger. I converted my USPc .45 Type 1 to an LEM trigger.
Old October 1, 2018, 10:37 AM   #38
JDBerg

I like my P30 9mm and P2000 9mm (both v3’s) much better than the USP Compact equivalent. I do think that the P2000 is probably the best gun out of the box that I own.