The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 24, 2017, 09:58 PM   #1
dakota.potts

Bedding a CZ Rimfire Rifle

Just a quick question, looking for some input. For those who do bedding jobs, I am most likely going to bed my CZ 452 ZKM trainer. I have done so before in its birchwood stock but I wasn't super impressed with the results (it was a practice piece for school) and I am going to be transitioning it to a Boyd's stock for more natural use with a scope from rested position.

I'm wondering about the barrel lug that connects the barrel to the stock. In most traditional rifle designs, you would bed the action and sometimes the thickest part of the barrel, allowing the rest to free float.

On the 452 (not sure about the other CZ rifles) the forward lug seems to make that difficult or impossible. I'm thinking that the counterbore in the stock where this lug sits should be bedded. My thinking is that it can't be free-floated, but I can at least make sure the lug has an even torque surface which should minimize the effect on barrel harmonics.

I'm sure I'm way over thinking this but I'd be curious to hear from some other people who do a lot of bedding. I'm looking to shrink group size or at least keep it consistent as I plan to use this as a training rifle out to 100 yards or so.

Thanks in advance
Old June 25, 2017, 01:00 PM   #2
T. O'Heir

A CZ 452's factory stock should be walnut. Not that it matters.
Not convinced bedding a .22 will make any difference, but Boyd's stock require fitting and you need to bed the recoil lug. To do that you may need to make it's hole in the stock a bit bigger. Had to do that on my Cooey M71 to put the nice M70A walnut stock on. Win M70A's lug is 1/8" forward of where the 71's is. Only time a rotary tool works well and is suggested.
It appears the recoil lug, such as it is, is part of that Mauser style rear sight.(no lug on the "Scout" model.) Just a dab of bedding on the back of that should do. But not the stock bolt(#57). Assuming there is a hole in the stock for it. Hard to tell from the drawing. You may want a wee dab(like a pressure point in a barrel channel) on the back of the mag well too.
Helps to see the whole thing. Same as the owner's manual.
http://stevespages.com/pdf/cz_452_453.pdf