The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 23, 2001, 10:24 AM   #1
Marty Hayes

I plan on getting a 300 Win Mag soon, and want to know if anyone has any preference between Remington or Wincheser brass. Can buy either for about the same price. Please advise your preference.
Old March 23, 2001, 11:23 AM   #2
Poodleshooter

I'll be there isn't a nickel's worth of difference between them. I've heard of certain Federal and no-name cases having hardness issues, but Winchester and Remington are usually top notch.
Old March 23, 2001, 12:51 PM   #3
Paul B.

I use the Winchester brass. I think it will hold slightly more powder than the Remington brass, although I haven't used the Remington. Winchester brass does hold about 1.5 to 2.0 gr. more powder than the Federal brand brass I have on hand.
Paul B.
Old March 25, 2001, 12:03 AM   #4
Nukem

I use both (not mixed). I also suspect that Olin brass mills most of the strip brass used in ctg manufacturing in this country.
Do yourself a BIG favor and get the Lee collet necksizer die. Besides loading the most accurate .300 WM loads I've ever seen, your case life will be extended 3-5 times! No lubing either.
I was never a big fan of Lee equipment, but I tried that die after seeing some groups that others were getting with them, amazing!
I never got good results in the 300 with a FL zizer die.

FWIW
Old March 26, 2001, 05:06 PM   #5
Calif Hunter

Nukem - do you use the Lee Collet die on new brass? I love my Lee Collet dies but was always under the impression that new brass had to be fully sized. Thanks for your info!
Old March 26, 2001, 06:55 PM   #6
Nukem

New brass

They do advise that you full length size new brass.

But.. I usually just check the new empty brass and see if it chambers in the rifle. If it does with no resistance from the neck or shoulder area, I just go ahead and neck size it. The .300 headspaces on the belt anyway. Works for me (usually)
Old March 26, 2001, 08:37 PM   #7
HankL

Marty, As can be seen in some of the above post Winchester brass has more case capacity than Remington. This equals Remington brass having a thicker case than Winchester therefore you must not use the same reloading data in both cases but either should be fine to work a load up in. I like the Winchester because of the extra case capacity but I only neck size any of my belted magnums and keep the rounds segragated for their particular rifle. If the rifle is a hunter pick up 60 or 80 cases of either and they will last you through your load development and a lifetime of hunting. A small investment in a Wilson Adjustable Cartridge Case Gage is available for most common belted magnums and will be quite helpful to you and will increase the life of your brass. If you are target shooting pick up 2 to 3 hundred brass and they will outlast the barrel at which time you will have to work up a new load anyway. With careful attention to detail each case, in either brand should endure many firings.
HTH

Old March 28, 2001, 11:07 AM   #8
Marty Hayes

Thanks for the replies. The rifle will be used in training and maybe a little hunting sometime in the future.

Marty