The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 11, 2014, 05:32 PM   #1
HiBC

Hornady vs Lee quick change receiver

A landowner who lets me hunt has a Hornady AP Loc-n-load press.He does not have a single stage press for little jobs.

I'd like to set him up cheap with a single stage that will take Loc-n-load bushings.

I know,Hornady makes one.It costs too much.

Lee makes a cheapo quick change setup for a bench press and a hand press.

OK,Lee is a different system.They do not interchange.I got that.

But,way back,RCBS was the Rock Chucker Bullet Swage Co.You will notice the Rockchucker press has a threaded reducing bushing in the top,where you screw the 7/8-14 dies in.

That is the thread to accept Corbin bullet swage dies.I have a massive Lyman "O" press with the same bushing.The Hornady Loc-n-Load receiver bushing screws into that thread.

Hornady sells that receiver bushing,and you can screw it in the top of a Rockchucker press.

What I need to know,did Lee follow suit?In other words,if I unscrew a Lee receiver bushing from a Lee press,could I screw a Hornady back in,to adapt a Lee press to Hornady Loc-n-Load bushings?

My plan would be a cheap Lee press,converted to Loc-n-Load.In the process,I would calibrate the setup for die height,so he could (for example)pop the 45 ACP seater die out of his AP,try 20 rds of some change in length or ?,then replace his die in the AP.

Or,is Lee's receiver bushing different on the OD threads?
Old October 11, 2014, 06:04 PM   #2
Vance

The Lee presses that take the breechlock bushings will only work with breechlock bushings. They are one piece and nothing unscrews.
However, he can get a Lee Classic Cast single stage that has the screw in reducer so you can either use 7/8 x 14 dies or the larger dies. The Hornady lock n load coversion thingy will screw into it in the place of the reducer.

https://fsreloading.com/lee-precisio...ess-90998.html
$113 Lee Classic Cast single stage press.

http://www.natchezss.com/Category.cf...assic%20Loader
$140 Hornady Lock n Load Classic loader
Old October 11, 2014, 06:14 PM   #3
HiBC

Thanks!Tells me what I need to know.

Maybe e-bay will show me a cheap Rockchucker.Great press,good priming system.Hornady sells 1 1/4 -12 converter bushing for $10.
Old October 11, 2014, 07:19 PM   #4
noylj

Just to note: The die setting from the AP to a single-stage press will be different, so it will still involve adjusting the dies.
Old October 11, 2014, 09:59 PM   #5
HiBC

noylj, I appreciate you telling me!

If I may,I saw a vid on youtube about this subject.The vid producer put a Powder Cop die ,mounted in an L-n-L bushing,in his AP.

Then,using his calipers,or my depth mic,on the flat,square top of the
powder cop,a measurement is taken to the shellplate,where the case head rests.(ram up)

Now the Powder Cop die and bushing are transferred to the Classic single stage,and,ram up,a similar measurement is taken to the shellholder.

The difference is noted.The Classic will need a shim/sleeve.

Now the 1 1/4 -12 insert ...the female L-N-L feature,is unscrewed from the press.

A piece of round stock goes in the lathe.The id will be a slip fit over the 1 1/4 threads.The OD will be the right size to rest on the spot face on top of the press frame.The part off length will be the number we wrote down,plus .001 or .002 for crush.

Maybe a touch of grease for luck,and the 1 1/4-12 insert is re-installed in the single stage press with our shim/sleeve slipped over the threads.

When its snugged up,the AP and the single stage are pretty well "calibrated" to each other.

If you do this,I left out the fine points of top dead center on the toggle,etc,but you get the idea.

Of course,if I find a used Rockchucker.....I may just set up this massive old grey Lyman I have under the bench,and keep the Rockchucker!!

We'll see.

Just trying to be grateful to the gentleman who lets me hunt.

I was looking at a 1911 with feed problems,he loads the ammo.I wanted to try varying seating depth,it was more of a chore than necessary!
Old October 11, 2014, 10:32 PM   #6
jmorris

The interrupted threads and spring loaded detent of the Lee breach lock is a more positive way of locking the die inplace than the LNL bushing/O-ring design.

I have had the LNL bushings self QD on me before, they have shims to fix this or you can use a thicker O-ring to fix it but the Lee is the better design.
Old October 11, 2014, 10:59 PM   #7
HiBC

OK,jm,thanks!!

But if we go back to the initial challenge,I'm trying to help out a man who already has a Loc-n-Load AP progressive press with the Hornady setup.

He does not have a single stage press.I was trying to set him up with a single stage LnL setup to compliment his AP.I'm trying to go cheap,I was hoping the Challenger Breech lock would work.It won't.

Not arguing about Lee's setup,but we aren't changing the AP over to the Lee system.Thanks again.
Old October 12, 2014, 07:48 AM   #8
PA-Joe

Hornady makes a replacement insert for the RCBS Press that will take the bushings. They do not make one for the LEE press. You could buy a check press and remove teh thread insert and then have a local machinists re-thread it to tke the Hornady insert.
Old October 12, 2014, 11:16 AM   #9
Vance

I have a Lee Classic Cast single stage that I removed the threaded insert and installed the Hornady bushing insert. Didn't have to re-thread it either.
Old October 13, 2014, 12:15 AM   #10
A pause for the COZ

Quote:
Just to note: The die setting from the AP to a single-stage press will be different, so it will still involve adjusting the dies.
This is very true. I have 4 different presses and they are all different. Since you have to re adjust all your dies to the press your using them in. it negates the whole reason you want to use the lock rings.

I wish I could have ordered my LNL AP with out lock rings.
They drive me crazy always coming loose when you want to adjust a die.
Great if you only use that set with that press. Swapping sets is super easy. Set it and forget it.
Swap dies from one press to another. Royal pain the rump.
Old October 13, 2014, 06:06 AM   #11
flashhole

Be wary of the Hornady adapter bushing. They don't exercise a lot of quality control and the thread pitch is hit or miss as to whether or not it will work on your press. My experience was bad and I sold off the whole lot because Hornady would not make good on the defective part.

Are you ready for civil war?