The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 2, 2011, 07:30 PM   #1
M14MSgt

considering a Spencer

Thoughts? Cimarron-Arms or Buffalo Arms? 56-50 or 45LC?
Old February 3, 2011, 12:40 AM   #2
Andy Griffith

I really wanted a 3-band rifle a while back.

Call the guys at Cimmaron Firearms and talk to them- they service what they sell. According to them, the .56-50 gives the least amount of trouble during feeding and operation. The problem with it is, you'll have to find another feller that wants that piece if you ever go to sell it. That's the only reason I didn't "pull the trigger" on one- I suspect that I'd never be able to get rid of it if I ever had to- not that I would (I don't trade or sell my stuff), but it just didn't make good economic sense to me no matter how I cut it.
Old February 3, 2011, 10:12 AM   #3
Jbar4Ranch

Why buy a Spencer in anything but 56-50? Unless you're thinking Romano, they all come from the same facility, so Cimarron vs Buffalo Arms is moot. The big problem right now is there is no brass available, but I expect Starline to do another run shortly, or you could also make it out of .348 Winchester.

As far as Cimarron servicing what they sell, read THIS first.

SASS 47015
Old February 3, 2011, 11:17 AM   #4
Noz

If you HAVE to do a Spencer then by all means do the 56-50.
Old February 3, 2011, 11:54 AM   #5
Raider2000

My local Gander Mountain has a original Spencer, I wish I had the $$$ to buy it.
Old February 3, 2011, 11:47 PM   #6
Andy Griffith

I stand corrected on the Cimmaron service then.

I know I had a Uberti Bisley in .45 Colt several years ago, and it split lead terribly- I returned it and they repaired it... BUT, for now I'm thinking, it may have been brought in by Taylors or EMF or someone else. Whatever company that was- they repaired it. I sold that gun because it just lost the appeal to me. I guess that company wasn't Cimmaron.

I do know that Cimmaron is the only importer that has the three band rifle...
Old February 4, 2011, 01:23 PM   #7
Mike Irwin
Staff

.56-.50?

No thanks.

If I buy one, I want it to be in .56-.56.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old February 4, 2011, 08:17 PM   #8
MJN77

"I do know that Cimmaron is the only importer that has the three band rifle..."

Actually......http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/products/cfSpencer.tpl

Taylor's has great customer service. I have two. I have several Cimarron guns and I love them. The people, however are [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]s. They act almost hostile when you call them. If you want a gun that Cimarron offers, get it somewhere else if you can.
Old February 10, 2011, 02:18 PM   #9
sewerman

i had the itch to own one of these rifles which, is my favorite repeater of the late war.

i saw an ad locally for one selling for $600.00 used cal .44 russian.

met the owner, an older gentleman at the range. the owner first told me the rifle needed breaking in...this was a tip-off to me that something in the mechanism was possibly wrong. i watched as the owner loaded the magazine tube and then began to rack rounds into the chamber...one malfunction after another!! with the magazine loaded to full capacity, nine, severe binding occured and diminished as the pressure on the compressed feed spring in the magazine follower became less & less.
the rifle very rarely chambered a round correctly. when doing so i observed a gouge on the top of the lead bullet made from the cartridge keeper pushing downward with too much force as well the keeper fingers being too long and gouging the bullet instead of striking the brass casing of the cartridge.

after disassembly, study..reassembly & study of function of this rifle i noticed many needs that were unaddressed by the italians when they back enginerred this rifle from the 56/50 cartridge to the shorter smaller cased
45LC, 44schofield & 44russian.
i wrote the comapny Armi-sport an very detailed letter about this and i'm sure some flunky in Italy used it as a coaster for his latte.

if your are still drooling for this rifle i would try to flush out a 56/50.
maybe a 45lc may work with shortened keeper fingers & a relaxed spring.
though the oversized magazine tube and large opening in the lower receiver meant for the 56/50 would still allow the cartridge to cant , pitch left or right as it is presented onto the loading tray causing binding.

this may have been a monday or friday rifle or one assembled with parts from all four calibers who knows.....? a parts diagram can be found on-line.

after this fiasco the ower in remorse related a horror story how this rifle had been a nightmare from day one & after several unsuccesful attempts by Taylor & Co to repair it he had taken it to smiths locally who probably didn't want to tackle a cobbed job design. so he was left with a $1500.00 misfit single shot rifle with few aspects for resale unless the buyer a talented machinist.

hope this helps.

s.m.

"They that can give up an essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety!" Benjamin franklin

The Armed Citizen PREVENTS tyranny!

Last edited by sewerman; February 10, 2011 at 08:58 PM.
Old February 11, 2011, 06:23 PM   #10
Bill Akins

I have a cousin who just picked up an original civil war Spencer repeating carbine from an older man who didn't realize what it was and neither did my cousin until a bit of research showed him it wasn't just an old single shot wall hanger like the older gentleman thought it was. Sold it to my cousin for $15.00!! Yes, that's FIFTEEN dollars. Lol.

Overall it looks pretty good but the action is frozen. We are trying to free it by repeatedly applying high quality penetrating oil. A few days ago I got the hammer to cock and the trigger to work for the first time since he's had it. It has a sweet light trigger.
The rifling looks pretty good too. A few pits but not too bad.

I think my cousin would like to sell it, but not before we get it completely unfrozen and restored to shooting condition. I'll try to get some pics of it the next time I go to my cousin's house. He only lives about 15 mins away.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".
Old October 7, 2012, 10:51 PM   #11
Mindful

New Armi Sport Spencer .45 long colt for sale

Hi everyone,
Well I'm back. I got everything in the new Armi Sport Carbine fixed and tuned for easy cycling too. I just decided I'd rather have the 56/50 instead so I've got it on gunbroker.com for 1000.00 minimum. I've still got the receipt from Legendary guns too! it's only three weeks old an it works great! Only less than one box of Black Hills ammo through it so i thought I'd mention it.

It's only got one bid, so I thought I'd at least mention it in case anyone is looking for one. I'm obviously just a collector so it's the usual money order or cashiers check if you are looking for one.

Great gun, had some problems with the cycling and the barrel being loose but that was fixed the same day with just tightening the barrel and sharpening the ejector hook. It's just that I'd rather have the 56/50 since it's such a heavy gun. Most want the cheaper ammo with the 45 long colt so here you go!

Richard

Just check out Spencer on gunbroker and you'll see it with the box and papers!