The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 28, 2011, 10:23 AM   #26
MJN77

My wife got a brass frame .45 Rossi last year and it also has a dovetailed front sight.
Old March 28, 2011, 11:27 AM   #27
Tanker6

A little late chimin' in on this, but.....

I have a '92 Rossi in 38/357 (carbine) that I (and my daughter) use for SASS. I am friends with Steve of Steves' Gunz and the rifle was worked on by him long before I bought it. Best of his records show that it was one of his "early works" sometime in the early '90's. His work on this particular variety of rifle is unsurpassed, IMHO. It operates very smoothly....it will not outrun one of those short-stroked, aluminum carrier, etc. '73's or '66's....but as long as I do my part, they (the really fast shooters) won't hit their 10 targets more than 5 seconds or so faster than I do..... most of the time it's less than that. My rifle cost me $500 used....theirs....more like $1100 or more.

My '92 is OAL sensitive. I load .38's to a minimum of 1.50". I use truncated cone, flat point 125 gn bullets I buy from Missouri Bullet Company most of the time. I do need to operate the lever all the way -- meaning from stop to stop -- to get it to operate and feed reliably. If, for some reason, I "short stroke" it, then I may get a feed problem. This doesn't happen very often.

I've shot a Marlin and several 73's and 66's (with short strokes, etc.). If money wasn't an object, I'd probably do a 66 or 73 because I could get "that little bit faster" time, but I've been very pleased with the '92. It is very accurate as well. My 13 y/o won a side match recently for long-range rifle in pistol caliber at a annual match.....against ALL women (yep, I'm a proud Dad ) using this rifle. She hit the 25, 50, 75 and 100 yd target twice each in less than 12 seconds. That ain't bad shootin'.

Good Luck in your selection.
Old April 7, 2011, 10:10 AM   #28
torquewrench

Rossi finally agreed to fix the rifle. I called them multiple times and get phone agents telling me that they don't warranty the sights. 10 phone calls later and they are sending FedEx to pick it up. Guess I got the right agent.
Old April 7, 2011, 04:27 PM   #29
Hellgate

Torquewrench,
My Newer SS Rossi 92 shoots high too so I ended up just removing the elevation ramp for the rear sight and it shoots dead on. If you need to lower the POI more you could put a nail across the barrel under the sight (ramp removed) and bend the sight down a little and remove the nail. That would put the rear sight right on the deck for its lowest setting possible.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old April 11, 2011, 07:45 AM   #30
DrLaw

I swear, I need a vacation. I took a quick look at the title of this thread, and really, really, thought it said, "Local drug dealer trying..."

Which of course, immediately got my attention.

Sticking with the thread though, those are some mighty nice looking guns.

The Doc is out now (and of course, heading to court later on today)
Old April 13, 2011, 02:28 AM   #31
zippy13

Update

Rossi Puma jambs:
Changed re-load bullets from home cast SWCs (Lee 358-140-SWC) to RFNs (Lee 358-158-RF) and feeding is now flawless with 38 Spl and 357 Rem Mag.
Old April 13, 2011, 09:58 AM   #32
Tanker6

Yep, SWC's have that ledge on the leading edge which will hang up on the chamber mouth (in my experience anyhoo). RNFP's and TCFP's seem to work fine in my Rossi as well.
Old April 14, 2011, 10:29 PM   #33
ursavus.elemensis

If you want the REAL thing, instead of a copy, Winchester is now selling the model 1892 in short rifle and carbine configurations, and the new ones are available in .357 magnum and .44 magnum.

Last edited by ursavus.elemensis; April 14, 2011 at 10:39 PM.
Old April 14, 2011, 10:43 PM   #34
MJN77

A genuine Winchester costs two, or three times as much as a Rossi.
http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/prod...ucts_id=117322
http://www.winchesterguns.com/produc...22C&mid=534177
Not everyone can throw $1000 + at a rifle. Winchester is now a Japanese company (owned by Miroko, I believe) so they're just "copies" of "REAL" Winchesters too. Tell me, what will a $1000+ "Miroko-chester" do that a $400+ Rossi won't?

Last edited by MJN77; April 14, 2011 at 10:57 PM.
Old April 14, 2011, 11:26 PM   #35
Stiofan

Winchester is owned by FN Herstal and you can get the 1894 that is now being made in Columbia, SC as a special commemorative (since last year). Up until 2006 they were made in New Haven, CT until the factory was shut down. They are pricey, but they are American made. FN Herstal had Miroku make some custom Model 95, 1885, and 92s though, and they still make many of the Browning rifles and shotguns.

Miroku is just a contract factory though, not the owner.

Your point on the price though is spot on.
Old April 14, 2011, 11:49 PM   #36
MJN77

[QUOTE][Miroku is just a contract factory though, not the owner/QUOTE]
Good to know. Really. I have Winchesters, Rossi, Uberti, etc, etc. I just don't know why someone would be judgemental about what guns other people buy. I don't see the point of spending $700 more for the Winchester name, when my Rossi can and has taken deer as well as a "REAL" Winchester. I have $100 rifles and I have $1500 rifles, and I like them all. To each his own.
Old April 21, 2011, 06:08 AM   #37
ursavus.elemensis

Winchester is offerring the model 1892 in carbine and they are offerring the model 1894 in carbine (collector grades) and in short rifle (not just for collectors). Prices at retail are well below what is on the Winchester web site.

Why would I make a judgement about what rifles others buy? Because I am alive and breathing. We all make judgements all day long about what we like, what we don't like, what we think of the judgements that others make, etc. And, this is a discussion forum. If you don't want to discuss other people's opinions and judgements, what are you doing here in the first place?

I stand by what I said before. I don't know why anyone would buy an Uberti or a Rossi when you can own the real thing, a genuine Winchester. But since you jumped on my opinion, I will tell you what I held back from typing last time: The Rossi model 1892's are a copy of a rifle that never existed in the Old West. The REAL Winchester model 1892 was a 44-40 and other black powder cartridge rifle, and was not made to fire .357 Magnum smokeless powder cartridges or .44 Magnum smokeless powder cartridges. So, if you buy a Rossi in those calibers you are buying a copy of a fake rifle. Suit yourself if that's what you want, but you are not holding a replica of anything that was ever used in the Old West. Winchester NOW makes the 1892's in .357 Magnum and .44 Magnum, more than a century after the Western frontier was closed. Nobody in the Old West used a .357 or a .44. As I said, suit yourself, or get a genuine Winchester.
Old April 21, 2011, 08:19 AM   #38
MJN77

Who gives a squirt if it's a "genuine copy" of anything if it's what the buyer wants. You're hung up on having "REAL" winchester, when it isn't what everyone wants. Some folks like marlins too. They aren't a "genuine copy" either, even though they were rivals to winchester in the "old west". Not everyone wants a .44-40 either, that's why rifles are offered in other chamberings. This was a thread about weather a Rossi was good for entry level "cowboy" shooting, not weather everyone should buy a "REAL" winchester for a lot more money. You're more than welcome to give your thoughts, but when you insult someone else's tastes in firearms, that aint "discussing" a subjest. It's being an ass.
Old April 21, 2011, 08:39 AM   #39
Hardcase

I don't want to turn this into a "pile on ursavus.elemensis" contest, so I'll just point out that a thousand bucks is not "entry level".

And, for what it's worth, no rifle in the "Old West" had a tang safety or rebounding hammer. Or, for that matter, came from Japan.
Old April 21, 2011, 12:43 PM   #40
MJN77

Look, there's nothing wrong with preferring Winchester over anything else. Not everyone wants to spend an extra $500 for those ten little letters stamped on a barrel. What about those that want a 1866 model "Winchester" or a 1873 or 1876 model? Winchester doesn't offer those rifles. Uberti does. The point was, if a "REAL" Winchester is what turns your crank, great. Buy all of them you want, but to act like people are stupid if they like/want/buy something else aint going to get you too many warm replies. For a fella just getting into "cowboy" shooting, a Rossi, two Uberti revolvers, and a Stoger shotgun would run about $1600 give or take. Going by your train of thought, a "REAL" Winchester, and two "REAL" Colt revolvers alone would run $3000+ not to mention what shotgun you chose. A lot of folks can't afford that kind of money.
Old April 21, 2011, 12:54 PM   #41
Jbar4Ranch

Nothing wrong with reproductions or "contract factory" guns... I sure wouldn't pass up a 1911 that said "S.MFG.CO." (Singer) on the slide if I could get it for the same price as a "genuine Colt"...

SASS 47015
Old April 23, 2011, 10:03 AM   #42
ChuteTheMall

Before I try the white lithium grease method mentioned earlier, has anyone heard of a similar method using toothpaste? One person suggested it to me.
Old April 23, 2011, 10:41 AM   #43
Hawg

I've heard of it and valve grinding compound. But toothpaste and grinding compound are coarser than lithium grease. I think you'll get a smoother action with the grease it may just take longer to achieve the results. All you're doing with the grease is letting parts wear together normally. With toothpaste and grinding compound you're forcing wear on parts.
Old April 23, 2011, 10:48 AM   #44
ChuteTheMall

Thanks, Hawg, sounds like grease is safer. No need for me to get radical yet.
Old April 26, 2011, 09:57 AM   #45
Tanker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbar4Ranch
I sure wouldn't pass up a 1911 that said "S.MFG.CO." (Singer) on the slide if I could get it for the same price as a "genuine Colt"...

The "trusty" .45 I carried under my armpit throught thick and thin while serving as an Army tanker was a Singer manufactured weapon....and I wouldn't have traded it for anything else!
Old April 26, 2011, 10:37 AM   #46
Jbar4Ranch

Too bad you weren't able to bring it back. There were only about 500 1911A1's made by Singer, with production stopping at the end of 1941, and a decent example today can easily exceed $25,000.

SASS 47015
Old April 26, 2011, 02:44 PM   #47
Tanker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbar4Ranch
Too bad you weren't able to bring it back. There were only about 500 1911A1's made by Singer, with production stopping at the end of 1941, and a decent example today can easily exceed $25,000.

I got to carry it in DS b/c of a technicality (we'd already transitioned to the 9mm) and after we returned, it was shipped off to be destroyed. :barf:

The internals were all mis-matched, but the slide a frame were Singer. We had a few Ithaca's in the unit as well, but I used to joke that mine could shoot the bad guys in the morning and sew you a shirt in the afternoon.
Old April 26, 2011, 05:49 PM   #48
Nite Ryder

local dealer trying to talk me out of buying a Rossi Lever for entry level cowboy...

I've had Winchester 92's, Rossi's, Puma's, Marlins and Uberti's ('73), for my money nothing beats an 1894 Marlin for a CAS shooter who is just starting out. Marlin is easy to slick up yourself, and like the Rossi, they are fairly inexpensive compared to other rifles you can buy.
Old May 2, 2011, 11:41 AM   #49
Magnum Wheel Man

Well I did buy one... used...

nice wood, engraved... 38 / 357... should be a nice looking cowboy gun ???

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 357 mag lever.jpg (62.7 KB, 4183 views)
File Type: jpg 357 mag lever 2.jpg (82.5 KB, 4177 views)
File Type: jpg 357 mag lever 3.jpg (85.9 KB, 4183 views)
Old May 2, 2011, 02:47 PM   #50
Hardcase

Quote:
nice wood, engraved... 38 / 357... should be a nice looking cowboy gun ???
That's a beauty, for sure! If it shoots half as good as it looks, you'll be in tall cotton!