The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 15, 2012, 04:22 PM   #1
Blankethead

Remington 740 in 30-06

The rifle is backing out the primer and damaging the case rim with a hard extraction. My feel is that timing is off, with perhaps a too weak recoil spring allowing the bolt to unlock too soon. Any of you smiths had this same problem and know a solution?
Old July 15, 2012, 04:27 PM   #2
arch308

I don't believe the gun could pull a primer out. Sounds like a too hot load to me. Are these hand loads?
Old July 15, 2012, 07:18 PM   #3
Blankethead

The rounds were Federal 180 grain new. The first rd was OK, then the other 4 primers were about .020 backed out, and the rim was badly deformed. It appeared that the bolt was opening before the pressure was down, but I have never had a problem with it before. No gunsmiths around here, so I will tear it down this week and look for wear or problems. I can buy a spring at Bear creek guns if everything else looks OK. Any ideas?
Old July 16, 2012, 07:03 AM   #4
Goatwhiskers

I'm assuming you know how to do a complete tear down. You need to hone the chamber to get rid of a fine rust that forms because there is no really good way to clean the chamber area. The little bit of rust and sometimes tiny pits cause the cartridge to stick just enough upon firing to mess up the timing, sometimes ripping off a piece of rim, or rarely ripping off a chunk of the bolt. Polishing the chamber cures the problem. Goat.

Edit: changing the recoil spring is a good idea on general principles. GW