The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 14, 2010, 09:37 AM   #26
Noz

Shot my polished steel sheriffs model 1860 at the US Open in Sparta Illinois over the last weekend.
The weather was continuous rain and drizzle for the first day with misty conditions for the second. Obviously extremely high humidity. Friday after shooting I wiped the rain off of all guns, gave them a ballistol spray and put them in their cases. Took them out Sat morning and discovered the polished steel had "flash" rusted. There is obviously no protective on the exterior of the guns.
I'll either blue or brown to reduce this possibility in the future.
Old September 14, 2010, 04:08 PM   #27
mrappe

Quote:
Sparta Illinois over the last weekend.
The weather was continuous rain and drizzle for the first day with misty conditions for the second. Obviously extremely high humidity. Friday after shooting I wiped the rain off of all guns, gave them a ballistol spray and put them in their cases. Took them out Sat morning and discovered the polished steel had "flash" rusted. There is obviously no protective on the exterior of the guns.
I'll either blue or brown to reduce this possibility in the future.
Or you could just card off the rust and eventually you would have a cross between and "original finish" as Cimarron calls it and a "slow rust blue". Personally I was thinking of buying a pistol like this to 'rust blue'. I refinished an original 1897 Winchester with the 'slow rust blue' processes and I like the way it looks.