The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 6, 2009, 06:57 PM   #1
Plaz

Hornady LNL EZ ject

I have a new Hornady LNL with the EZ ject feature which is supposed to displace the ejector wire. This feature is not working at all. The cartridge maintains its upright position as it passes through the EZ ject feature on the sub plate.

Does anyone know the reason for this?
Old May 6, 2009, 07:34 PM   #2
Shoney

Sounds like the system is not properly timed. Easest thing to do is call Hornady on their toll free line and they will walk you thru the fix.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old May 6, 2009, 09:29 PM   #3
BigJakeJ1s

You either have a pre-ez-ject shell plate, or your shell plate bolt is not tight, allowing the shell plate to raise up and allow the cartridge to ride over the ez-jector.

Andy
Old May 7, 2009, 01:45 AM   #4
bobotech

Quote:
You either have a pre-ez-ject shell plate, or your shell plate bolt is not tight, allowing the shell plate to raise up and allow the cartridge to ride over the ez-jector.

Andy
I was coming in here to say exactly the same thing.

Did your shell plate come in a plastic container or did it come in a white cardboard box? The only usable plates on the new press are the ones that came in the plastic container or ones that were modified by Hornady.
Old May 7, 2009, 01:57 AM   #5
bobotech

Shoney, here is some info I wrote down about adjusting the pawls copied from another forum. I spent quite a long time figureing out how to adjust those darned pawls.

I came to a few conclusions. I should start a new thread but I'm just going to post here.

First of all, the directions in the manual are confusing. I made pictures cuz pictures are easier.

First picture:

What it shows is if you rotate the pawl screw LEFT (counterclockwise), the shell plate will rotate more RIGHT (clockwise).

Next picture:

What it shows is if you rotate the pawl screw RIGHT (clockwise), the shell plate will rotate more LEFT (counterclockwise).

Rule 1:
Left pawl adjusts the shell plate when it comes down. This is the one that causes problems with cases feeding into the shell plate or priming problems (they both rely on the the downstroke of the shell plate).

Rule 2:
Right pawl adjusts the shell plate when it goes up. This is the area that causes problems with cases entering the dies (jamming on the sizing die is the big problem child).

The rest:
Now, another key point to keep in mind about the clicks.. The manual says to listen for clicks as the shell plate is locked into place at the end of the press arm stroke. They don't explain it very well though. When I was first fighting the left pawl (shell plate problems with priming and case feeding), the manual said to listen for 2 clicks. They didn't explain that the clicks are VERY soft and I was mistaking the releasing of the RIGHT pawl being the first click when in reality, the proper click is a very soft one. The clicks are first the sound of the pawl releasing and the second click is the sound of the 2 ball bearings locking the shell plate into proper place.

The key about that is you want the adjust the pawls so that the 2 distinct clicks merge into one click, that means the pawl is releasing exactly at the same time as the ball bearings are locking into place. If you are thinking that the loud clicking is the proper noise, then you are wrong like I was.

And when adjusting these pawls, you need to move the press arm VERY slowly.
Old May 7, 2009, 04:20 AM   #6
Plaz

I have the right shell plate and the shell plate is on tight. I notice that if I take the spring off from around the shell plate then the EZ eject works fine.
The cartridge just can't make the jump over the spring.
Old May 7, 2009, 09:16 AM   #7
JCS1

Hornady LNL EZ ject

I am having the same problem. It doesn't want to eject the finished round. That gives me something to try. Now if I could hear the clicks I would be in good shape.
I miss my wife but my aim is getting better.
Old May 7, 2009, 10:05 AM   #8
kasTX

Quote:
I have the right shell plate and the shell plate is on tight. I notice that if I take the spring off from around the shell plate then the EZ eject works fine.
The cartridge just can't make the jump over the spring.
The cartridge should not have to jump over the spring. The spring should dive down into the subplate as it approaches the last station, and re-emerge from the subplate just after the point where a new case enters the shellplate. I just upgraded my press with the new ejector and noticed that it takes a little more effort to make sure the spring goes into the subplate than it did with the older system, but it is still very easy to do.
Old May 7, 2009, 12:47 PM   #9
magstang1

You have to push the spring down into the groove and advance the shellplate a few times. It will stay down by itself after that.
Old May 7, 2009, 02:09 PM   #10
mrayw

Thanks!!!!

Bobotech,please make a sticky of your info! Damn, that simplifies what I have been unable to simplify for two years!! Thank you very much,Marvin
P.S. You are a genuis! Seriously adjusting the pawls can make me pull my hair out hopefully I can make sense of it now!
Old April 9, 2014, 07:25 PM   #11
ouch.2

Many thanks to bobotech

Even though this is an older original post it helped me fix my press. I printed out bobotech's post took it into my garage and adjusted my press. My left pawl was not rotating my shell plate far enough 1/5 of the time. I screwed in the pawl making sure to count the turns in and had 1 and 1/4 which was not enough for my press. 1 and 1/2 was not quite enough but 1 3/4 is working great. I'm really liking my Hornady LNL press now. Many thanks to bobotech
Old April 10, 2014, 11:20 PM   #12
fretless33

Thanks for bumping this thread...it will come in very handy!