The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 20, 2000, 07:33 PM   #1
9mmMike

Hello there gun wizards. I recently purchased a Camp-9. I really like it but I was thinking about doing some ammo testing that would include trying a stronger recoil spring. I bought a Wolff 16.5 lb spring and installed it this evening. I noticed that the OD of the new spring was slightly larger than stock but I put it together anyway. It slid in just fine with out binding. Now when I manually cycle the carbine, I can hear the spring rubbing. I have yet to shoot it with the spring installed and I am not sure that I wish to try. Have any of you installed this spring in a Camp-9? Is this normal?
Thanks,
Mike

------------------
"Freedom is not free"

[This message has been edited by 9mmMike (edited January 21, 2000).]
Old January 20, 2000, 11:19 PM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

9mm Mike, I haven't done this but if I understand what you're saying the spring can't bind if it's rubbing. The first thing I'd do is contact Wolfe and make sure they sent the right one by comparing length, diameter etc. If they say that's the correct spring then it shouldn't give you any problems. George
Old January 21, 2000, 09:48 AM   #3
9mmMike

Sorry about that. it was supposed to say "without binding" not "with now binding".
Mike
Old January 23, 2000, 01:06 PM   #4
9mmMike

Well I called Wolff and they told me that it was cool so I went to the range to try out my 16.5 lb spring. It worked just fine. I came home and disassembled the Camp-9 for a good cleaning and everything looked okeedokee so I will keep the heavier spring in there.
Thanks,
Mike

------------------
"Freedom is not free"