The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old February 6, 2002, 12:04 AM   #1
Prodigalshooter

1st IDPA match

Well, Sunday I shot my first match and I did better than I thought I would. I'm not yet classified, but I was afraid I'd miss all the targets etc. Didn't set the world on fire time-wise, just concentrated on shot placement. Got a 146.86 in ESP class, so I will have room to improve !!!
But I really enjoyed it, the range I shoot at has a fellow that set up moving targets that made it quite an interesting experience.
I just wish there were more than 2 per month!
Brian
Old February 7, 2002, 07:07 PM   #2
GeneS

Beware

Glad to hear your first match went so well. Beware, this activity can get addicting. I went from every month or so to as many as 4 times a month.

What type pistol did you use in ESP? Several guys I know have started using 9mm 1911's. It is probably the ultimate setup for this division. Almost as easy as shooting a .22.
Old February 7, 2002, 08:09 PM   #3
9x45

I don't know where you are at in SoCal, but there are more than 2 IDPA matches a month. 2nd and 4th Saturday at Piru, 1st and 3rd Saturday at Prado, last Saturday at Apple Valley.
Old February 7, 2002, 10:00 PM   #4

This is a little off topic, but here in Las Vegas, we have one IDPA match per month. I just got into the sport and am looking for more matches to shoot. A couple weeks ago, I went to Phoenix and shot two there. I have considered California, but don't know all the legalities of bringing guns into the state. What are the rules on the transportation of firearms ? How many locks etc. do I need ? I believe I read that I need to keep ammo and gun in seperate compartments. I drive a pickup, where do I need to put stuff ? Where is Piru ?
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old February 7, 2002, 11:06 PM   #5
Prodigalshooter

Gene, I'm using a CZ 75B 9mm. I'm thinking about getting a .45 too, just have not decided which to choose.

9x45, I'm in San Diego, I'm not sure exactly where Piru is, don't have a map handy at the moment. Is that north of Big Bear?

444, I believe you'd be ok if you have the pistols locked in a case (unloaded of course) that is in the bed of your truck, with ammo behind passenger seat. But, I am not an expert, YMMV etc.
Some more informed member might comment here.
Brian
Old February 8, 2002, 10:51 AM   #6
stick

Piru is by Magic Mountian, I-5 North then hang a left.

Prado is in Chino, 91 and the Corona Expressway. This is the '84 Olympic site. The facilities are still in tact and open.

In San Diego, the Oceanside Shooting Academy at I-5&76 (last Sunday) and American Shooting Center at 52 and 163 or I-15 have IDPA.

Oceanside has casual matches on Thursday nights mostly steel. Once a month a shotgun match.

If you'd like some other matches try IPSC and shoot Production or Limited. The USPSA website has schedules. Between Norco and Pala/LDF (San Diego) you can stay very busy.
Old February 8, 2002, 01:13 PM   #7
Prodigalshooter

Hey, stick, thanks for orienting me to Piru.
I just shot IDPA at the ASC you mentioned, will also be doing the one at the end of the month at the Fish & Game range in Escondido. I'm not sure if I can make too many Piru matches, thats quite a drive, I'd have to leave @ 0-dark 30 to make one of those.
But you never know, if I start doing better, there's a good possibility my travel envelope may stretch quite a bit.
Thanks,
Brian
Old February 8, 2002, 02:50 PM   #8
ryucasta

Here's a website with all of the USPSA/IPSC clubs located in California
http://www.jmallard.com/caclubs.htm
Old February 8, 2002, 08:52 PM   #9
Prodigalshooter

Thanks!
Old February 17, 2002, 09:14 AM   #10
Gpappy

You might want to check the local ranges in your area for practice sessions. I started going to the every Saturday (9:00-12:00) sessions at a range nearby a couple of months ago. Every week they set up one situation in 3 different ranges and split the shooters up between each (each week is different). Normally everybody gets to shoot 4 or 5 times and watch and learn in between.

They are having a qualifier coming in April and then the matches start once a month and the practice goes to Wed. nights. If your local IDPA does not do this, maybe you could suggest it. They charge $2 to range members and $4 to non members. Yesterday there were at least 45 shooters which adds to the range funds.
Greg