The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old June 6, 2015, 09:11 AM   #1
Beagle333

The first Saturday of June

And the pot is warming up! Last week was smelting weekend, and this weekend it's time to melt those ingots down into smaller, grooved, varied pointy and hollow lead lumps.
Stay tuned for some pics later, and be sure to share some pics of what you are casting today!
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old June 6, 2015, 02:35 PM   #2
straight-shooter

The postman man was kind enough to drop off a RCBS Pro-Melt on my door step today! Upgrading from the Lee 20 pounder and will be casting tonight once it cools off outside.

I'm thinking I'll still use the Lee to melt 20 pounds and keep the Pro-Melt stocked as I cast. This should provide some longer sessions.
Old June 6, 2015, 03:06 PM   #3
Beagle333

Sweet! I love a Pro Melt. Don't be alarmed if it trips your GFCI breaker until it gets broken in (maybe 4-6 hours of use). That is normal and has freaked a lot of people out. (if you even have a GFCI outlet where you cast.). I had to run a cord and plug mine to a non-protected outlet until it stopped tripping my nearest one to the casting area.

I saw that Midway has Pro Melts on sale now. With shipping they are $360 and after rebate, only $310 to your casting table. That sure is tempting!
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old June 6, 2015, 05:09 PM   #4
Beagle333

What a nice day for casting too! Kinda breezy and partly cloudy.....

Have a Colt and a smile.
Old June 6, 2015, 07:58 PM   #5
GP100man

Nice set up Beagle !!!! Makes me wanna move to AL, but ifin I pull roots & move it`ll be AK so I can breathe cold air 1 more time.

Is the big blue thing a conveyor belt to move all those ingots ???

I like the preheater hood , a picture is worth a thousand ideas !!!!

Time was short for me today ,showers kept runnin me off the mower to other under shelter projects that were prioritized to do today.

I got a new 40 caliber mold to break in & it may just have to take priority tomorrow.

Stay hydrateted & may your boolits fall like rain!!

addition: I see it`s a boat.

GP100man
Old June 6, 2015, 09:23 PM   #6
Beagle333

Good eye noticing those ingots on that table back there. Yep, that's my trusty boat back there. That mold heater is really nice, as it allows me to pause casting whenever I want and wander around and resume it with good drops right away. The mold heater and casting pot have their own separate PIDs.

And I did make a bucket of bullets today. I got a new NOE mold this week, the 432-265-SWC. It makes a 250 grainer as a HP though.

Have a Colt and a smile.

Last edited by Beagle333; June 6, 2015 at 10:29 PM.
Old June 6, 2015, 10:58 PM   #7
Shootest

Those are some good looking projectiles.
Old June 7, 2015, 10:24 AM   #8
stubbicatt

Pretty boolits Beagle.

I casted up a couple hundred yesterday through my Lee Pro Drip 20 pound furnace. The experience was such that I went ahead and bought a Pro Melt from RCBS. It's on backorder from Midway, but with that rebate, I couldn't resist. Ends up about $300.
Old June 8, 2015, 07:55 PM   #9
straight-shooter

I just casted up some of the NOE 358155 9mm's today using my Pro-Melt for the first time. It was an absolute joy of a furnace to use and not a single drip I didn't want. It's looks as though the days of fearing a molten Lee mess are over.

By the time I was through having fun I found that I had over 1,000 hollow point projectiles. What that means is now I have over 1,000 projectiles to powder coat. Never a dull moment as a caster!
Old June 8, 2015, 08:18 PM   #10
Beagle333

The Pro Melt just makes it so much more relaxing. It gives lead when you need lead, and it doesn't give lead when you don't want it to.

A thousand is impressive! I don't think I have ever cast 1000 bullets at once. I usually use single or double cavity molds though. But even when I use the 4 cavity, I use a pie pan with a rag in it as my catch pan and when it's full (usually around 250-350±) I am tired of casting and go play with a different toy for a while. But I shoot a lot more round balls than bullets anyway.
Have a Colt and a smile.

Last edited by Beagle333; June 8, 2015 at 08:34 PM.
Old June 8, 2015, 08:44 PM   #11
straight-shooter

Lovin' the round ball here too Beagle. I have 3 new pistolas that haven't yet made it out of the box and to the range for their first outing. All Uberti's - 1851 London Navy, 1858 and a Walker not to mention a unfired Blue Ruger Old Army.

side note: I took a two hour break between getting the 1,000 done today but still, it's my first time ever getting that many done in a day too.
Old June 9, 2015, 06:36 PM   #12
straight-shooter

Just finished powder coating and sizing the 1,000 I casted yesterday. My right forearm is going to look like popeyes if I keep this up! LOL
Old June 9, 2015, 06:48 PM   #13
Beagle333

You can move to this town then!

Have a Colt and a smile.
Old June 10, 2015, 04:31 AM   #14
straight-shooter

Heck yeah I'll move there, she can run the press for me too. That is after she gets done mowing the lawn