The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 13, 2014, 10:34 AM   #1
wachtelhund1

219 Savage - 219 Zipper Range Report

Here is my new Savage 219 in 219 Zipper. See my initial post in http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=552525

I fixed and refinished the rear butt stock. Not crazy about the beavertail forearm and will probably make a smaller schnabled forearm this winter. Made 219 Zipper brass from .30-30 win brass. First trimed about .050" off the cases then ran them through my .25 Remington FL sizer die. Trimmed another .040" off the cases and then ran them into the 219 Zipper FL dies. Had to do this in several increments, removing the case from the die and wiping excess lube off the neck so creases would not form in the neck and case. Once the cases were fully resized, shell holder tight to the FL die; I loaded ten rounds and went out back to my range. The action failed to close and lock up. I removed the barrel and ejector and inserted a round into the chamber. The rounds went in, but about half the thickness of the rim stuck about the barrel face. It was either the .30-30 brass or when the chamber was cut the reamer used was short by a few thousands of an inch. So I removed .001" at a time from the shell holder until the rounds fit into the chamber. In total I removed .005" from the shell holder and had to trim the Zipper case length to 1.865", .010" shorter than the specified trim length.

Now for loading and shooting. Since, this gun has a 1 in 16 twist, I started with Hornady 40 grain VMax bullets, .224 dia. I know 3031, 4320 and 4985 are normally the powders of choice for the .219 Zipper, but I like CFE 223 powder in fast .22 cal cartridges. There was no load data for CFE in the 219 Zipper. One of my very old Speer reloading books had load data for a 40 grain bullet with BLC2 powder. CFE 223 powder immediately follows BLC2 on the burn rate chart. I studied a number of cartridges with BLC2 load data, .22 PPC, .225 Winchester and etc. In each cash CFE charges were 1 to 2 grains greater than BLC2. HO2 capacity of the .22PPC was about 2 grains less than the .219 Zipper and HO2 capacity of the .225 Winchester was about 2 grains more than the Zipper. So I started with the minimum CFE load for the .22 PPC 45 grain bullet charge. I've been working up in .5 grain increments watching of pressure signs. Started with 25.2, 25.7, 26.3, 26.8, 27.3, 27.8, 28.3, 28.8, 29.3, 29.8, 30.3 and 30.8. I expect 31.8 to be max, but haven't got there yet.

First several loads had a lot of carbon blackening around the necks after firing. Five shot groups were about 1.5 to 2 inches. Carbon blow back and group size reduced as the CFE powder charge was increased. Twenty-eight grains produce groups about one inch, still not there. I fired the 29 and 30 grain loads yesterday at 200 yards after the end of a 200 yard .22 LR match shoot.

The match was held in an open field with very windy conditions, up to 30mph. Wind blew our hits all over the targets. I was top shooter with 258 out of a possible 300.

The 219 Zipper shot about 3 to 4" groups at 200 yards with the wind. I'm going to try charges of CFE at 31.3 and 31.8 grns next at my range with less wind. Might have to try 45 grain bullets next to get .5" or less groups. Also, this is a .223 bore barrel, so I might have to try .223" bullets.
Old October 14, 2014, 03:03 PM   #2
flashhole

Good on you for getting it done and on the range. Nice looking rig.

I did something similar with a 221 Fireball .... changed out the gun stock .... tweaked the trigger .... made my own brass from 223 cases .... and experimented with the powders I wanted to use.

Nothing like that feeling of satisfaction when it all comes together.

Are you ready for civil war?