The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old June 7, 2014, 08:54 PM   #1
cajundefender

Car gun scenario question

I have been reevaluating the different situations which I might find myself in and have been reviewing responses to the situations in little practice scenarios. One thing I have been troubled with is the response to a subject with a blunt or sharp object approaching my vehicle while I am armed with a handgun. Seems simple enough. my question lies in the fact that when sitting in my vehicle thinking about what I would do, I couldn't decide. I had three basic options: drive off, wait in vehicle with handgun drawn, or get out of vehicle to engage the subject if necessary. Assuming that you cannot retreat, like if your battery has died, what would you do? I have designated responses to most scenarios but this one is causing issues. If I get out, I have the potential to intimidate the subject, engage easily, or retreat on foot, but if the subject is close I might be force into hand-to-hand combat. If I stay in the vehicle I will be bought a few extra seconds but it will be more difficult to retreat by foot if for some reason that would be necessary, and I also would have to shoot through my windows to engage if necessary. This is an unlikely situation but a friend of mine who used to be a sheriff's deputy once shot a man with a knife six times with a .38 and the guy was still on his feet. He reloaded, and put a shot between his eyes. That brought him down. It was later discovered that the man had bone cancer and was given two weeks to live. He was on morphine and did not feel a thing as he committed suicide-by-cop. This event sparked my need for a response to a potential situation like this. The man was non-violent and wouldn't have hurt the deputy, but the deputy didn't know that. My concern is if some nut on cocaine or something runs up while traffic is stopped on Interstate and starts something. So, stay in the vehicle or get out to engage. Let's say the subject is at ten yards and approaching you at a brisk walk with a blunt or sharp weapon. If I had to, I would shoot through the windshield if close or engage from outside if farther away and he continued to approach despite verbal warnings.
Old June 7, 2014, 09:01 PM   #2
Oysterboy

I think the first option was to leave (if you can) in your car. At any rate do not leave your car and confront the suspect, that might turn you into an aggressor in the eye of the law and expose yourself to danger.

Do prepare to defend yourself in case of aggression. Let the suspect make the move first but if it's a gun you'll have to shoot first.
Old June 7, 2014, 09:32 PM   #3
colbad

Roll up your window and lock your door.

If he is outside the car why would you need to shoot him unless he ACYUALLY trys to get to you by breaking the window etc. (assuming you can't simply drive away).
Old June 8, 2014, 12:26 AM   #4
KyJim

Quote:
Roll up your window and lock your door.
^^^^^^^^^^This

Also, some states have a version of the Castle Doctrine that applies when someone is breaking into an occupied car. It gives a little extra legal protection.
Old June 10, 2014, 04:14 PM   #5
Theohazard

I agree with everyone else: Don't get out of your car and confront the person. The best solution is to drive away to a safe location and call the police immediately. If you can't drive away, then stay in your car and call 911 from there.

It doesn't matter how much physical damage they do to your car, don't shoot the person unless they can actually physically threaten you. If they only have a knife or an impact weapon, that means don't shoot unless they manage to breech your car.
Old June 11, 2014, 11:58 PM   #6
ballardw

If the "impact weapon" is more like an ax than a club I am not waiting until after he hits my driver side window. If I can't move the car a wind-up to hit the drivers window looks like self-defense to me.
Old June 12, 2014, 07:58 PM   #7
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
So, stay in the vehicle or get out to engage. Let's say the subject is at ten yards and approaching you at a brisk walk with a blunt or sharp weapon.
If you shoot anyone at this point, you are going to jail.

Stay in car, roll up the windows. If he attempts to harm you by breaking into your vehicle then you have a self defense situation.
Old June 13, 2014, 09:09 AM   #8
g.willikers

There are training facilities that teach how to deal with what you are asking about.
And it probably won't include shooting through your windows or getting out of the car to confront aggressors.

Tags
danger , defense , handgun , question , vehicle