The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 2, 2014, 08:50 PM   #1
Blindstitch

Reloading Supplies Milwaukee, Wi

I'm trying to find rifle reloading supplies in the Milwaukee area. Sure a trip to Cabela's is nice but a 35 mile drive to see they don't have powders sucks. I know Mills Fleet Farm has some stuff but talking to a person that knows something is nice.

Lately I have been picking up stuff at
Somar Enterprises
W191 S 7691 Racine Av,
Muskego, WI 53150
(262) 679-1460

The guy there is very helpful and I get great service but in those nobody had primer, powder or other moments it would be nice to have a back up or two.
Old April 3, 2014, 08:24 PM   #2
MarkGlazer

Personally, I've stopped relying on the local gun shop for the exact reason you cited, too far a drive to chase "stuff" down. I now depend on the net for most everything. I know that presents a cost problem due to the haz/med charge, but I find that I either immediately get what I need or schedule the purchase such that it times with my future need. Last night I ordered pistol powder that is not yet back on store shelves. Hopefully it will be in by the time my current supply runs out and I don't have to constantly watch Gunbot to see it come and go.

Best of luck to you.
Old April 3, 2014, 09:18 PM   #3
Blindstitch

MarkGlazer,
More power to you if you can do it online. If I reloaded more or had a group of friends into reloading I would place a bulk order and that $28 hazmat fee wouldn't bother me. Buying a pound here and a pound there I have to deal locally.

Because of this I had to cave yesterday and buy two pounds of 4064 that just came in when I really wanted one of 3031. I was just going to buy one but who knows when more powder will show up and I don't want to be caught with my pants down.

Only wish I could have found large rifle primers.
Old April 5, 2014, 06:14 PM   #4
RC20

Yea its no fun. Same boat up here

Can't you call though?

My stops are convenient as I can hit two of them on the way back from the range and I can sometimes pick up a different one than I would have known to ask for.

I got some R17 a while back (5 lbs!) based on the fact they had it and the Hornady manual listed loads for it that looked good in 30-06.

Has worked a treat in my 1917s.

Also try to keep a list of the mfg and powder (4831 and 4350 etc) so I know if its a mfg I have as I can't remember Hogdens or IMR between the two (I have Hogdens in 4831 and IMR in the 4350 and developed loads but I can't remember when I am looking at it which I have for sure)

I will buy a can if nothing else for trade or my brothers use.

I also am tring to keep a spread of two or more powders (currently I have 4 that work in the 30-06) so if its available I can (pun) keep up the stock.
Old April 5, 2014, 11:01 PM   #5
Blindstitch

Yeah I can call. Only wish I had more people to call.

I got lucky today and was in the neighborhood of Mills Fleet Farm which had zero powder but I was able to pick up a few packs of large rifle primers. I actually stopped in for a pop so it was a nice surprise.

I tell myself I should have bought more but I know someone else is in the same boat and might only need a few hundred.

I've also been reading about people substituting magnum primers since there seems to be enough of them on the shelves.
Old April 6, 2014, 11:37 AM   #6
Geo_Erudite

Blindstitch,

I live up near Superior, WI, and I was pleasantly surprised to find CCI BR-2 and Federal 210 primers at a Mill's Fleet Farm. Unfortunately this was in Wausau. I also got lucky with H4350 at a Schuler's in Eau Claire. I am lucky and get to travel for work at least once a fiscal quarter, which allows me to find reloading supplies.

For you, have you checked Midwestern Shooter Supply in Lomira, WI? It is a little up the road from Cabela's, off of US-41. (Sidenote: while in Lomira, take state highway 67 down to Theresa and stop in at Widmer's Cheese.)

For online searching use this:

http://www.gunbot.net/

Last edited by Geo_Erudite; April 6, 2014 at 11:42 AM.
Old April 6, 2014, 04:47 PM   #7
Blindstitch

Geo_Erudite,
Thanks for the heads up. I haven't checked midwest shooter supply only because everytime I drive by it's closed. You wouldn't believe how many times I have stopped hoping it was open.

I went to a gun show today which was horrible and everyone was packing up early. I took out the motorcycle so I could put some miles on it and maybe not buy a rifle due to space. Since it was a bust I scooted over to Cabelas. Yeah they're overpriced and a bunch of other things but I went anyway. They had one pound of H380 and some imr 43-- on the shelf. No Large rifle primers.

I then scooted down the road to Mills Fleet Farm in German town and picked up 300 primers since they were still in stock and not disappearing fast. They also had 4064 on the shelf for $24 and 6 cans left. Since I bought some earlier in the week I didn't buy any but if it was 3031 I would have.

Guess now I have an excuse to go to Tereasa for cheese.
Old April 6, 2014, 09:35 PM   #8
RC20

I tried the courteous thing and it did not help, so I take what I can get now.

Primers n 1000 per box if possible and repeat trips for powder.

I had not thought it would go on nearly this long. Two wars off the map (mostly) and we still can't get powder!

I have managed primers ok, powder by diversifying but.....
Old April 7, 2014, 01:57 AM   #9
Brotherbadger

Dam Road Gun shop in Delavan, Wi usually has quite a bit of powder, however that's a bit of a drive for you. I'd call ahead of time to make sure they have what you need in stock(it's a very small Mom and Pop shop, so they might not always have it in stock).

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "
Old April 7, 2014, 03:32 AM   #10
Blindstitch

Thanks.
It may be a bit of a ride to go down there but the ice fishing gear has been put away and the motorcycle is out to play. I often get distracted and ride in that direction but I will call ahead to see if they have what I need.
Old April 9, 2014, 10:59 AM   #11
Smokey Joe

Where to buy what...

Blindstitch--When you travel to Midwest Shooters' Supply in Lomira, take an extra turn and also go to Bill's Sporting Goods, which is on Main St. in Lomira proper. Old-fashioned sporting goods store, NICE selection of used firearms, and Bill often has the reloading components I want.

--Smokey Joe