The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 12, 2012, 04:48 PM   #1
capper

Hawse .44 Rem

I checked out a Hawse .44 Rem today,at a gun shop. It seemed to be a pretty nice looking piece,in real decent shape. They want 150.00 Any body ever heard of the Hawse gun co.,Los Angeles CA? Is this an ok gun to own and can you get parts for it? I hope so, cause I would like it to follow me home tomorrow!LOL
Old April 12, 2012, 05:34 PM   #2
Doc Hoy

I have two Hawes Pistols

One is a brass frame Remington in .44

It is about average in quality, fit and finish of other revolvers of its period. I gave 75.00 for it but it is in less than perfect cosmetic condition.

If it is brass, I think 150.00 is a little steep. If he is asking that I bet he will take 125.00.

I do not know if Hawes imported steel frame revolvers but it if it is steel and in good condition it is probably worth the price.

Still if he is asking 150.00 I think it is worth while to offer less.
Old April 12, 2012, 07:03 PM   #3
capper

Thanks Doc. The gun is steel with a brass trigger guard,and it looks just like the E.N.Santa Barbara i bought.It seems to be in pretty good shape. The cylinder has the usual scratch around it from use,but everything looks,and function good.You should have seen the guy's face when I disassembled the gun in front of him.I don't think he had ever seen one opened up before.I told him that I do the same thing with a brand new gun, also.He didn't know what to say. It was precious. Again, thanks Doc. I appreciate the info.
Old April 12, 2012, 10:00 PM   #4
arcticap

Quote:
Originally Posted by capper
Is this an ok gun to own and can you get parts for it? I hope so, cause I would like it to follow me home tomorrow!LOL
When you take it apart and inspect it in front of the shop owner, you're suppose to say something like,
"Ahhhhhh, just as I suspected. Would you take $125 for it? The original parts for it are no longer available and it may need some new nipples"

Last edited by arcticap; April 12, 2012 at 10:11 PM.
Old April 13, 2012, 04:22 AM   #5
Doc Hoy

BTW, Capper

Don't know if anyone said this, but welcome to the forum.

I answered your PM.
Old April 13, 2012, 05:38 AM   #6
capper

Thanks Arcticap, and thank you Doc. I really think I found a home here. You guys are real friendly and VERY helpful. It's a pleasure logging in and talking to all of you.
Old April 13, 2012, 08:43 AM   #7
Doc Hoy

Well,

Quote:
You guys are real friendly and VERY helpful

Don't snap to judgement too quickly.
Old April 13, 2012, 11:54 AM   #8
capper

Nice Doc,real nice.
Old April 13, 2012, 05:29 PM   #9
bprevolver

Hawes Revolvers

He made a good purchase. Hawes was one of the importers that came into being in around 1969. Their revolvers were manufactured by Armi San Paolo with the exception of their 1860 Army with Brass 4-Screw Frame cut for shoulder stock(few made) which was made by Rigarmi. The Remingtons are actually Remington Beals Models if made by Armi San Paolo. ASP also made these for Lyman, Richland Arms, and Dixie Gun Works. ASP also produced a Remington for Sile in Stainless Steel.
Old April 17, 2012, 05:05 PM   #10
capper

Hawes Revolvers

Hello Bprevolver.It's a pleasure to speak with you. Is there any reason I shouldn't shoot this Hawes? It is unfired,but I would love to breathe some life into it.It was mentioned to me,that I should check with you first,before I shoot it,in case it was considered a collectable.If not,then I'm going to go have some fun. Oh,and thanks for the mini history lesson. That was neat to find that stuff out.

Last edited by capper; April 17, 2012 at 05:09 PM. Reason: additional comment
Old April 17, 2012, 09:43 PM   #11
arcticap

Quote:
It seemed to be a pretty nice looking piece,in real decent shape.
That Hawes is a good looking Remington and unfired to boot!
It sure looks to be well worth the price paid.
I guess its low price helps to make up for the main spring that broke on the Santa Barbara Remington.

Photos:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...62#post5048005

Last edited by arcticap; April 18, 2012 at 12:11 PM.
Old April 18, 2012, 05:47 AM   #12
Doc Hoy

Here is another bit of speculation.....

Be careful here because I am making some generalizations and that has to be considered.

As I got back into the present used revolver market I developed the opinion that a used revolver of a given type (1858 Remington, 1860 Colt etc) is worth about fifty dollars less than one could buy an equivalent model new. So when Cabela's was selling their steel 1860 and 1858s for right around 200.00 I was buying excellent condition used pistols for 150.00. That was almost without regard to the manufacturer The exception is that there are some whose value is far higher because of either quality or rarety. (Witness Lyman, Centaure, some Ubertis)

So now that Cabela's is back up to 250.00 to 270.00, by my rule (which is only right for me) a steel frame Remington in the condition of Capper's ought to be worth around 200.00.

I think in a used steel revolver of the type of which I am speaking, condition is everything.