The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 30, 2010, 09:09 PM   #1
walldj45

Belgian Pinfire Revolver ID help?

I locally bought an old revolver. It appears to be a pinfire black powder revolver. It is single action only and appears to be ~45 caliber. The only markings are on the right side in front of the cylinder. They read this:
BREVETE
SGDG
*ER*

It appears very similar to some Belgian french (Lefaucheux) pin-fires i see online. If anyone could provide help with Maker, value, age or rarity it would be helpful.
Old September 30, 2010, 09:10 PM   #2
walldj45

More pics

Old October 1, 2010, 04:02 AM   #3
arcticap

Here's an article detailing some of the long history of pinfire guns:

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/French.....-a0206957028
Old October 1, 2010, 09:23 AM   #4
bedbugbilly

walldi45 - what you have is a "rare old pinfire boat anchor" - you'd probably have to pay a scrapyard to take it - so why don't you just box it up and send it to me? I'll reimburse the postage!

JUST KIDDING!!!! This is an interesting revolver and it looks like it is in decent shape as well. I've never been in to pinfire guns - owned a small pinfire double barrel side by side pistol one time though. But - the more I see of these, the more I really like them. You run across pinfire revolvers once in a while and I think they'd be interesting to collect. I think some of the smaller folding trigger ones are interesting as well. I wish I could help out with some info on this but will just have to settle for saying that it's a nice looking revolver and I hope you can find something out on it and that you'll let us know. Good luck and treasure it as it is interesting! Sincerely, bedbug
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old October 2, 2010, 10:47 AM   #5
sebou

hello
It's look like a Mariette revovler, but i'm not sure. However, it looks very nice and rare. I did some seek before to post to you some informations, but i didn't found anything yet.
Are you sure of the mention *ER*
Belgium proof mark is "ELG"
Seb

Last edited by sebou; October 2, 2010 at 10:56 AM.
Old October 2, 2010, 06:48 PM   #6
Hawg

It doesn't look like a Lefaucheux. Sebou may be right.