The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 28, 2010, 10:17 AM   #1
King of smack

Uberti or cabelas

Ok, I've finally decided to pull the trigger and buy a pair of cap and ball pistols. My question is should I buy Ubertis or am I giving up a significant amount of quality by buying a pair from cabelas?
Old June 28, 2010, 10:47 AM   #2
Fingers McGee

Quality wise, Uberti's and Cabelas (Piettas) are pretty much equal now days IMNSHO. Main difference is grip shape, cosmetics, and authenticity. Colt never made brass frames or 44 cal '51 Navies; and Navy standard barrel length was 7 1/2 inches, not 5 or 8.

FM
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old June 28, 2010, 12:18 PM   #3
Doc Hoy

Never one to permit ignorance to silence me....

I would go with two 1860 in steel frame .44 from Cabelas. Or perhaps two steel frame Remington in blued steel...Again stick with .44.

I like the looks of the 1860. But I just got back from shooting my steel Remington from ASM. It is a dream to shoot and to clean up afterwards.

Either way..you can't lose.
Old June 28, 2010, 01:22 PM   #4
TomADC

I have six from Cabela's very happy with the quality of all them.
Old June 28, 2010, 01:23 PM   #5
denster

It depends on your gunsmithing ability. You do give up a significant amount going with Pietta over Uberti. That said you can make the Pietta into the equal of the Uberti if you don't mind smoothing all of the internals and reshaping the arbor wedge slot and the wedge so it works properly which is allready done on the Uberti. With the Uberti you may have to do a little work to get it as smooth as you like but not nearly as much and the wedge itself may be good from the box, at worst you may have to remove a few thousandths from the tapered edge towards the muzzle.
Old June 28, 2010, 02:17 PM   #6
wittzo

Right now Colt 1860 Army Revolvers are $199 at Cabela's. (http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...817&hasJS=true)

You can get a Colt 1860 Army by Uberti at Dixie for $295 (http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product...oducts_id=1028)

Here's another option..You can get a Pietta Colt 1860 at BP Stuff, Inc. that's been worked over and refinished for $315. They even put Treso nipples on it (http://www.bpstuffllc.com/capandballrevolvers.htm)
Old June 28, 2010, 02:56 PM   #7
King of smack

Why the army caliber over the navy caliber?
Old June 28, 2010, 03:25 PM   #8
Kadmos

Several reasons the army caliber is better in my opinion.

The main one is finding a good assortment of round ball.

Locally, or even on the net I generally only see .375 for the 36. You can find .380 on the net, or get a .380 mold (which I did), but for the 44 it is much easier to find .451, .454 and even .457.

this gives you better options to tailor the ammo to your gun to make sure balls neither jump forward, nor are too difficult to load.

The bigger hole of the 44 makes target shooting a bit easier as far as being able to see where you hit.

Accuracy can be made a bit better as there is more room for powder (or powder and filler) which can allow for light loads or hunting loads with a broader range than the .36...again you can tailor it to your needs better.

The main advantage of the .36 IMHO is the slightly reduced amount of lead

Don't get me wrong I really do like my Navy, but I tend to take the .44 more often.

Recoil isn't all that different one to the other, nor really is the amount of powder used...some difference of course, but it's not like you will be burning tons compared to a .36.

On the other subject, I will say my Peitta navy .44 brass framed sheriff certainly did not come out of the box high quality. It took a decent amount of work to make it a nice gun that I do really enjoy. At the price I got it ($120), I would certainly do it again...I do enjoy the working on them though, so I wouldn't in good conscience recommend them to someone unwilling (or unable) to put some time into it.

I have looked at their Remingtons (steel frame) and plan to get one, they do seem high quality in the store (local cabelas), I haven't had a chance to hold one of their steel frame colts
Old June 28, 2010, 03:44 PM   #9
Poodleshooter

You can find plenty of .375 or .380 round ball in the for sale forums here on TFL (shameless plug).

That said, the .451/.454 ball has very little recoil. My '58 Remington has less apparent recoil than my wife's .38 Taurus 85,IMO.

I'll add that I had to perform some significant modifications to my Pietta,however this was 10 years ago,and I understand that their quality has improved somewhat.
Old June 28, 2010, 04:29 PM   #10
Doc Hoy

Kadmos plus 2

Three sizes of ball for the .44 as opposed to only one easily available for the .36. Also I think shooting a .44 is more emotionally rewarding than a .36. I think the .36 is more of a scientist's caliber.

Of course,I have no explanation for the last statement. Just a feeling.
Old June 28, 2010, 05:45 PM   #11
Hawg

Quote:
I haven't had a chance to hold one of their steel frame colts
They're nice

But so are these. Cost a lil more tho.

Old June 28, 2010, 06:21 PM   #12
1836SixGun

If it has to be a new re,v then Cabella's would be the most appropriate choice. If you want true Uberti quality at an affordable price, you may want to consider an older Uberti production, as Uberti's reputation is deservedly tarnished by their current problems with quality control. .
Old June 28, 2010, 06:57 PM   #13
Fingers McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Smack
Why the army caliber over the navy caliber?
Cause some people think bigger is better. It really depends on what you're planning on doing with the revolver. One is just as accurate as the other; and, unless you're planning on killing something with it, the .44s is overkill - as well as being more expensive to shoot in the long run.

.380 roundballs are not hard to find on the internet, and can be had a lot cheaper than retail .375s from well known manufacturers.

I find shooting the .36 New Model belt pistol of Navy caliber (aka 1861 Navy)to be very rewarding. Splitting playing cards and eliminating the X on a bullseye target is very rewarding with a .36

First time I've been called a scientist Doc - Usually they just call me a crotchety old retired Warrant Officer
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce

Last edited by Fingers McGee; June 28, 2010 at 07:02 PM.
Old June 28, 2010, 08:58 PM   #14
King of smack

Ok guys, I think I get it. If you're a man you shoot a 44. If you wear a pettiecoat then you shoot a 36. Fellas I'm looking to shoot compition not kill a buffalo. (although that would be fun) I shoot a lot of F.O.P. combat matches and most people shoot .38 not 50 AE. The colt 1851 colt navy remained popular long into the closed catridge era because it was so well balanced and handled so well. I guess what I'm trying to say is if it was good enough for the man who rode Traveler, a blonde lawman in Kansas, and a dentist from Georgia then it'll probly work for CAS.
Old June 28, 2010, 10:38 PM   #15
mykeal

Bottom line, when all other things are said, is putting the lead in the X. Use whichever one you do best.
Old June 28, 2010, 10:44 PM   #16
Fingers McGee

I'll have you know I only wear petticoats when the stage instructions call for it. Then, everyone wears one.

As you said. If the 36 was good enough for, and you know the rest.............................

FM
Old June 28, 2010, 11:32 PM   #17
wittzo

I'm going to end up with Colts and Remingtons in both calibers from both Pietta and Uberti when I get around to wanting to get .36x" molds.

If the Colt Navy has a grip like the Dance and Brothers, I'll be holding it with two fingers with my pinky hanging loose..So I'll be sure to hold it out like at a tea party. Pass the petticoats, seevooplay?
Old June 29, 2010, 12:04 AM   #18
Kadmos

I think what I said got misconstrued.

There is nothing wrong or wimpy about the .36

However, using the .44 isn't any more "manly" in my opinion...both seem to have pretty comparable recoil from what I can tell.

The big thing is 3 out of 4 stores (that carry such) around here will have the ball in stock for .44s maybe 1 in 4 will have .36 an if I want .380 (and don't want to cast it for some reason) than I am SOL. Only one store had a box and he said it was sitting on that shelf for the better part of 10 years or so.

If you want the .36, then by all means go for it...I have one, I really like it...I'll probably get another some day

Although I am more likely to get another .44 first
Old June 29, 2010, 07:40 AM   #19
King of smack

I first asked about the 1848 dragoon, and that was before I had done any research. Now that I am much wiser, (thanks to y'all and Thomas at bpstuffllc.com) and I've handled the weapons, i'm going with a pair of 51's. Besides, Doc freaking Holiday carried one! But seriously, in compition it's all about comfort. The 51 felt the best. Now if I could only afford an 1874 sharps with a 34 inch barrel in 45-110.
Old June 29, 2010, 08:16 AM   #20
madcratebuilder

I well recommend Cabela's because of their return policies. Uberti or Pietta? It's luck of the draw. Both produce good and not so good revolvers. Expect both Uberti and Pietta open tops to need minor fitting out of the box. The only open top that was almost perfect out of the box was a Cimarron Dragoon (Uberti) The worst fitting open top I have ever bought was a Uberti. Pietta's are generally very close but have short arbors.
Old June 29, 2010, 08:41 AM   #21
Hardcase

Short and sweet: I'm very happy with the Colt and Remington in .44 that I bought from Cabela's.

The current sale definitely makes them worth a look.
Old June 29, 2010, 10:45 AM   #22
olyinaz

Sounds like you've made up your mind but I have to say that I find the 1860 Army grip to be much more comfortable than the '51 Navy (which is similar to the standard Single Action Colt grip). Of course I like a Ruger Bisley grip better as well so obviously I like to have all of my fingers on the grip vs. doing the pinky curl.

Best,
Oly
Old June 29, 2010, 11:40 AM   #23
bedbugbilly

Hmmmmm . . . . after reading this thread and what some of you say about .36 caliber and those who shoot 'em . . . . . . well, let's just say it puts my petticoat "in a knot"! not to mention my knickers! Personally, I love my 36s (but then, who doesn't love a set of 36s?). I have five of 'em but for me, it's what I got started with ('51 Navy) and just the convenience of shooting and sticking with one caliber. Someday, I'll graduate and move up with the big boys and get a .44 - the only problem with that though is that all the .44s are so darn pretty that it will be hard to make up my mind what I want. Whatever you finally decide on, just enjoy it and have fun - that's what it's all about! In the meantime, Wild Bill and me will strap on our Navies . . . . . . .
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old June 29, 2010, 11:45 AM   #24
bedbugbilly

As an "after thought" . . . . maybe the gun manufacturer's should just compromise and start making something in the middle of the road? I can see it now . . . . an authentic Colt repro in .40 caliber - halfway between .36 and .44. I'd love to see how Cabellas would "write up" the description for that "authentic model"! Possibly it could have a steel frame with a brass barrel?
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old June 29, 2010, 12:49 PM   #25
Kadmos

Quote:
You said using .44 is not much manly in your opinion, then why did you say you are more likely to get a .44 first ?
Because I've been drooling over the 58 Remmi

A big part of it is really the frustration over the .36 ammo.

I got my .36 navy first(Uberti), really do like it. But the .375 RB was jumping forward. Didn't want to order .380 over the net...price + shipping + not knowing if it would work anyway, so I searched the stores and finally found one box, which did in fact work, but made me realize I would have a supply issue.

In the meantime I bought one of the .44 "navys" (peitta) and a box of .451, they literally fell right into the chamber and right back out...went back to the store returned them and got .454's no problem, worked great.

Then ended up getting molds for both.

If I get another .36 with my luck it will need .375 but another .44..which will most likely be a peitta will most likely take .454s...but if not I can find RB locally in 3 sizes for .44 and molds locally in 3 as well.

The "thrill factor" in shooting is the same for me either way...but the .44 has some very real practical benefits in my opinion