The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old March 21, 2010, 02:56 PM   #26
Balog

But dealer pricing from the large wholesalers is generally lower than retail offered to the general public, correct? So I could sell it to a range for less than what they would otherwise pay, while still making a profit.
Old March 21, 2010, 10:57 PM   #27
dogtown tom

"Dealer pricing" is a myth. A better term would be "volume pricing". Check prices at wholesalers and then check the price at Bud's. Bud's is often cheaper than my distributors. There is no set dealer discount- it is totally dependant on how many firearms you buy at a time or how many per month.

An 01FFL will get you a discount at many wholesalers. Understand that a retailer like Academy or WalMart will beat your discount everyday.

I'm an FFL and I cannot get Winchester, Federal or Remington ammo at a wholesale price for anywhere near the price that WalMart sells it at retail.

This is why you see WalMart ammo for sale at gunshows.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old March 22, 2010, 02:00 PM   #28
Balog

Interesting. Would that apply to guns as well as ammo?
Old March 22, 2010, 04:10 PM   #29
docpadds

It can. You have to be very active and observant to see whats available that you could make some money on. We have a few things that are great sellers for us but it costs us a lot of up front investment to get the stock levels necessary to get a good discount.

This business is not going to make you rich, but that said provide a good service and be friendly to the customers, you will be surprised when they come to you rather then a big box because they feel like they matter.
Old March 22, 2010, 04:17 PM   #30
Balog

If I get into the business it'll be as a side gig focused on doing transfers from people buying on gunbroker etc, so the low margin on ordering guns is less a concern...
Old March 22, 2010, 08:38 PM   #31
hknut

Wow, this is a very imformative thread. I have often wondered about setting up a FFL for myself to buy cheaper and transfer guns for friends.

Walk softly and carry a big SIG.
Old April 4, 2010, 10:22 AM   #32
n7qvu

§ 478.47 Issuance of license.

Does anybody know how long it usually takes to receive the approved FFL?
I'm at 7 weeks and no ATF contact.

Interesting that para (b) says 'shall' and that para (c) says 60 days.

(b) The Chief, Federal Firearms Licensing Center, shall approve a properly executed application for license on ATF Form 7, ATF Form 7CR, or ATF Form 8 Part II, if:

(c) The Chief, Federal Firearms Licensing Center, shall approve or the Director of Industry Operations shall deny an application for a license within the 60-day period beginning on the date the properly executed application was received:
JWsGUNs.com FFL-07, NFA SOT-C2.
Old April 4, 2010, 07:54 PM   #33
dogtown tom

I had my "interview" two months after I sent in my app. The actual license arrived a month after that.

I recently moved....sent the "change of premises" form in the last week of December. The licensing center said it would take thirty days to update my license with the new address. It took over two months.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old April 21, 2010, 04:29 PM   #34
durham937

getting an ffl in ohio

This thread is an amazing wealth of info. I was wondering if anyone has info for a homebased ffl dealer(and perhaps gunsmithing) in Ohio?
Old April 21, 2010, 04:32 PM   #35
durham937

There's an older gentlemen in my town(village actually) that somewhat deals from home. He is getting up there in age. I just kind of want to "take over". I am in preble county in Ohio. I am just now starting my reasearch on getting an ffl. Thnx for your time.
Old April 22, 2010, 09:32 PM   #36
n7qvu

"durham937"

That what I'm going thru in AZ. I applied 9 weeks ago and had my ATF onsite face to face today for 2 hrs and 15 min. Very detailed.

I had to get an OK from my county for a home-business, since I don't live in a city. ATF required that, but an e-mail approval was ok, since co seat is 50 miles away.

ATF agent said I should have my license in about 3 weeks.
I applied for a 'manufacturer of firearms', but process-wise it's about the same. She gave me my FFL #, but cannot use until I get paperwork back.

Hope this helps,
Old April 23, 2010, 04:39 PM   #37
langenc

I did not read all posts.

As to the allowability of 'in the home'?? I do recall reading that wherever you decide to do this is subject to inspection at the will of the inspector!!
That would include the WHOLE house if in the home..
Old April 23, 2010, 05:19 PM   #38
Hkmp5sd

Quote:
I did not read all posts.
Like you said, you didn't read the posts. As such, your information is wrong. Please make sure of your information before posting.

NRA Life Member

Last edited by Hkmp5sd; April 23, 2010 at 05:27 PM.
Old April 26, 2010, 09:48 PM   #39
slab11

So, i have applied for my FFL, waiting on the inspector to contact me. I am starting a home based FFL business, mostly to get experience and may open a store at some point. My question for those of you with experience as FFLs is: how do you get your guns? I read the post about Bud's and wholesalers. are wholesalers easy to work with. Does everyone charge a fee for Credit card use? You cannot really get this info from the web without an FFL number first.
Thanks
Old May 16, 2010, 01:09 PM   #40
n7qvu

@slab11
I'm kinda surprized nobody replied to your question.

I'll give it a shot:
I received my FFL-07 about two weeks ago. I scanned it and saved as .pdf. I knew companies I wanted to work with as a dealer, so I started contacting them. I emailed them my FFL 'onfile' then asked for dealer info. I've started to receive a lot of that info. Some want you to fill out an application and fax/e-mail back, others want some business license also. Some venders with online stoles for their dealers WILL NOT allow a home based FFL to have one of their online stores. I was surprized at the dealer discounts...nice. Some give another discount if you buy $1-2k at a time. I also provided my 'FFL on file' to gunbroker.com and registered to do xfers. I received my 1st call about 2 days later for a xfer.
Hope this helps, PM for more info.
Old June 1, 2010, 12:07 PM   #41
Rivet

This is indeed a great thread. Anyway, I am getting the ducks in a row to start a firearms side business and requested all the paperwork from the BATFE. I do have some questions that maybe someone can answer.

I see the option for dealer (01/02), but I am not seeing a check for SOT. Is this a separate form? I would like to be able to offer NFA items.

The option for 07 manufacturer is only an additional $150. I think this might be valuable to have, but does this add any additional regulatory burden? Am I reading this right in that it would also qualify for manufacturing NFA items (sans DD)?

There is a question asking "do you intend to engage in business as a pawnbroker?" I don't plan to do so, so will answer no. However, if I ever did so, would I have to amend the license?

There are two additional forms they included—Supplemental Information on Water Quality Considerations and Environmental Information. Anyone know what this is about?

I'm sure I'll have some more questions, but those are the ones that come to mind now. Thanks all for the assistance.
Old June 1, 2010, 12:09 PM   #42
docpadds

SOT is a whole separate item you get after you have your FFL, its a tax paid to allow Title II dealings. It runs July 1st to June 31st. Get the FFL first, this comes second.
Old June 1, 2010, 12:11 PM   #43
Rivet

Oh, I see. It's added to an existing license. Thanks.
Old July 28, 2012, 09:16 PM   #44
4T4MAG

Just doing a little homework on the FFL. I realize this is a very old post, but, does anyone know how an FFL holder needs to log a personal firearm purchase, does this go in the bound book? How does the ATF distinguish personal firearms and firearms that are purchased for resale? Does the ATF take an inventory of my personal collection? Just wondering, I know our 2nd amendments rights are under constant attack. I am fearful that there will be a "tax" to own firearms just like there is a tax on people who do not have health insurance. We all know that a tax can be placed on something to make it out of reach for most people.
Old July 29, 2012, 08:47 AM   #45
David Hineline

Personal firearms you have before the FFL get tagged personal firearm not for sale, best if kept in separate storage. They will not be inventoried.

After the FFL all guns in/out personal/for sale come through the FFL books and any you want for yourself, you log out to yourself.