The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old December 7, 2008, 05:28 PM   #1
Cosmoline

Methods of Shooting Mosins & Other C&R Rifles

This has been a frequent topic over the years, and I thought we might share some techniques on shooting C&R rifles. The short and straight bolt handles often generate puzzlement from those use to curved bolts handles.

I've developed two methods for my Mosins. The first is used prone or at a rest, when the left hand is relatively free. The left hand works the bolt and the cheek weld maintained. The pinky finger needs to be kept straight to avoid getting pinched between the handle base and the receiver, but you'll figure that out quick. Here is a demonstration video with my Tikka M91:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APHj5GIAGdw

The second is used off hand or when the barrel is otherwise not supported. It is faster, but obviously without the rest it isn't as accurate. The palm of the hand and thumb are used to cycle, and the arm moves as a whole not just the wrist. This gives the major muscles a chance to come into play and resolves some of the stubborn bolt issues. :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pvQ72x8oCs
Old December 8, 2008, 02:19 PM   #2
RamSlammer

Looks great. You just left out the part about pounding the bolt with a rubber mallet when it sticks.
Old December 8, 2008, 03:43 PM   #3
gandog56

None of mine stick anymore. Even though I still have some of that green lacquered Czech Silvertip.
Old December 9, 2008, 02:54 AM   #4
Cosmoline

I've never had a sticky Finn.