The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 4, 2008, 01:20 PM   #1
tools

Primer "feel"

How should primers feel when being seated? I am using a Lee handloader, and while some of the primers (going into .223 cases) feel like they are solidly going in (with a little friction), others feel like they slide in with no friction at all and the handloader tool just hits the end of its travel without any resistance. All the primers are seating to the same depth (and the cases had their primer pockets uniformed beforehand), so the look good, they just fell "too easy".

Are these going to pop out on me during firing?
Old July 4, 2008, 02:07 PM   #2
capbuster

resistence will vary due to small variations in the primer pocket and the primer.
You will probably feel the primer bottom out in the pocket especially if you are using a separate priming device. Many reloaders , including myself. rotate the shell 180 degrees after primer insertion and give it another go to insure that the primer is seated squarely in the pocket.As long as the primer is flush of deeper in the case you should be good to go.
Old July 4, 2008, 02:19 PM   #3
Threefeathers

As you load you'll get used to the feeling. I don't worry if some are esier than others. When finished you rub the seated primer they should be just under the head of the cartridge. If any are too high reseat them.
Old July 4, 2008, 06:12 PM   #4
Sidetracked

Are you priming mixed head stamps? Every manufacturer has it's own tolerance, and some are known to be a bit sloppy.

Edit: Although I have never experienced it, they may, in fact, pop out if you are shooting these in an auto loader. I discussed this with some friends today, a couple of which claimed to have had to dig primers out of the trigger group of their ARs.

Last edited by Sidetracked; July 5, 2008 at 02:44 AM.
Old July 4, 2008, 08:12 PM   #5
Scorch

I like my primers to feel loved and appreciated, and fulfilled and inspired to accomplish their mission in life. Other than that, I like to have moderate resistance when priming cases so I know the primers are sealing against the cases.
Old July 5, 2008, 10:51 AM   #6
jamaica

I know what you mean about the difference in resistance when seating primers. It has never been any problem for me though. I guess it is possible to lose one if the pocket gets too loose, but it has never happened here.