The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 18, 2005, 11:38 PM   #1
Wildcard

Smith & Wesson Auto's Trigger question?

I have a smith 10mm, I want to know if there is a DIY trigger job to smooth up the DA pull? I dont have (wish I did) the money to send it to S&W PC to get the action job.

Thanks in advance
Old August 20, 2005, 03:37 PM   #2
Wildcard

guess there is not a DIY trigger job for smith autos, will have to start saving to send it so S&W.
Old August 20, 2005, 04:55 PM   #3
J.D.B.

Other than sending it to a 'smith or back to the factory, you could get a book on them and try it. I, myself never worried about the DA pull on my 1076 as it was only the first shot from decocked. The SA pull was more important to me and it was good on that gun. Be aware these guns aren't put together like a 1911. They don't like to be taken apart, I've always thought of them as more like a watch than a gun. Small parts, tiny c-clips, secret sequences to fitting them, etc. turned me off working on the frame internals. No surprise that you haven't received alot of responses on DIY anything to do with S&W autos (other than their 1911). They aren't easy without alot of experience (and I doubt they get much easier WITH alot of experience). I had one experience taking mine apart and I never ventured into it again.
Josh
Old August 20, 2005, 09:55 PM   #4
Wildcard

Thanks for the reply and advice J.D.B., I guess I was hoping it would be as simple as changing to a lighter hammer springs like in my beretta 92.
Old August 21, 2005, 09:32 AM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

In all my years, I've never tried doing a trigger job on a SA/DA pistol. The trigger bar may drag across (or along) the frame, causing friction. The backside of the hammer (or whatever the tail of the trigger bar bears against) could also be polished. I suppose the hammer strut could be lightly honed too as well as the plate it bears against. A small stone (or needle file) may be used to polish those portions of the frame that the trigger bar rubs against.
Old August 21, 2005, 09:43 AM   #6
J.D.B.

You could try a lighter hammer spring, but, it may well speed up the unlock timing of the slide. I don't know how sensitive the gun is to that, but it may not be good if you shoot full-power loads. Might wind up beating up the extractor hook if pressures are still high as the slide tries to unlock and extract earlier. Try it and shoot some medium loadings then work up?
Josh
Old August 22, 2005, 01:40 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

Wolff (www.gunsprings.com) has lighter springs for both the mainspring (hammer spring) and the trigger return spring. The mainspring is easy to put in, the trigger spring not so easy, but it is not un-doable either.

If you are using the pistol as a carry/duty gun, I suggest leaving well enough alone, as lightening the springs may cause the gun to fail at a critical moment, especially under adverse conditions (dirt, cold, wet, etc.).

Jim
Old August 23, 2005, 02:48 PM   #8
Lazy D

It's not easy

But it can be done. I've done a number of them. The department I work for use to have S&W DAO guns. They had terrible triggers. Being the dept armorer I had the opportunity to really experiment with them. I got pretty good at it. It will take a couple of hours just to do a half way decent job. It is way too indepth to even try to talk someone through. Does your gun have MIM parts? They are better out of the box than the older ones, but the older guns can have more done to them. Good luck and let me know if I can help.