The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 12, 2002, 09:38 AM   #1
ks_shooter

Spotting Scope

Anybody have any experience with this spotting scope:

http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/496707

I am looking for a reasonably priced scope for High Power shooting. I don't have the funds for a $300 or $400 scope right now so it either something like this or do without. Would I be better off to wait or would this work OK for the money? Thanks.

Aim Small, Miss Small
Old December 12, 2002, 01:37 PM   #2
blackopsglock

Sorry to bust your bubble but $300 or $400 wont even get you a good scope for seeing little holes at long distances.Forgetabout the cheap ones.

You need to pray to santa or the scope fairey that he brings you a good scope.

Good luck.
Old December 12, 2002, 02:16 PM   #3
No4Mk1

At the great risk of getting flamed, I'll tell you I ordered one and so far feel that I got a fair value for what I paid. I'm sure at some point, if I get serious in long-range competition, I'll get the urge to upgrade to an "uber scope", but I haven't had any problems with this scope out to 300 yards with .30 cal holes.

If I start having problems, I'll use "Shoot-N-C's" in combination with the scope. At a few bucks a pop I can buy a lot of those for what a power-scope would cost me.

If you are talking distances over 300yds, probably should start saving your dimes....

Just like anything else in life, you get what you pay for, but so far I'm not displeased. By the way, they had these on special recently, and you may want to look around for a better price on that model as it is being discontinued.

YMMV

Asbestos Suit On....

Lee.

http://www.guncollectorsforum.com
Old December 12, 2002, 06:11 PM   #4
blackopsglock

No flames but I find it very hard to Belive that you can see 30 calholes at 300 yards with it.

In the past I have owned Leupold spotting scopes that where not up to that task.

Much past 200 yards 30 cal holes get alfully hard to see even with the better optics out there.About the only thing we found up at camp perry that you could see those holes with where the upper end swarovski,zeiss and leica.

Good luck!
Old December 12, 2002, 10:27 PM   #5
No4Mk1

Admittedly the conditions were very good (cool clear day with zero humidity) and I doubt I'll have that much luck in the summer, but like I said, Shoot-N-C's will help.

http://www.guncollectorsforum.com
Old August 17, 2004, 01:51 AM   #6
emperor91108

I use this spotting scope at the range and it works great. It is not the best by any means, but great for target shooting with my .308.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/yukon-20-50x50.html
Old August 17, 2004, 09:47 AM   #7
FirstFreedom

Look at this one - they're out of stock because the price here is some $70 less than usual for this scope:

http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/607808

I have it and it works great for the money. Up to 60 power. Fully multi-coated. But seeing any holes at 300 is going to be tough. It's all I can do to see .22 holes at 200.
Old August 17, 2004, 10:30 AM   #8
Jim Watson

I have a 60mm Kowa and have used an 82mm Kowa which is pretty much the class act in spotting scopes these days. Picking out a bullet hole at or beyond 300 yards depends on the lighting, atmosphere, and your eyesight that day. But if you are shooting real highpower on a fully equipped range you don't have to see the bullet hole, the pitworkers will put a large contrasting disk over the shot.