The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 13, 2017, 09:52 PM   #1
Bwillsonhunter4

Pump gun help

I want a pump gun that I can shoot fast and that is compatible with an extended magazine tube and is an overall good gun. I think I have it narrowed down to a used 870 wingmaster because My buddy has one that I like and I can shoot or a Winchester 1300 because of the speed pump. Will the speed pump offer that much of an advantage or should I just stay with what I know? Or is there something else you think that would be cheapish?
Old December 13, 2017, 10:40 PM   #2
Virginian

The Speed Pump is nothing but a marketing gimmick and a Remington 870 has a much better reputation. The 1300 was the second in the line after the 1200 replaced the Model 12. They then went to the Speed Pump and are now on the fourth generation SXP.
Old January 5, 2018, 05:10 PM   #3
PlatinumCore16

Why is one of your requirements to "shoot fast"? That would be more of a user issue rather than a gun feature.
Old January 5, 2018, 06:06 PM   #4
stuckinthe60s

fast? get a semi-auto.............
NSSA All American, Skeet/Trap Range Owner
Old January 5, 2018, 06:22 PM   #5
FITASC

Yep, modern semis can shoot much faster than the average person can work the pump. Shooting uber fast typically does not result in better accuracy, so to reiterate from abovr - why the need for speed?
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 5, 2018, 06:26 PM   #6
tangolima

I like the winchester 1300. Speed pump may not make a whole lot of difference to the others, but it works for me. I especially like the the rotating bolt head with multiple lock lugs, which works like an AR. I think it is stronger.

It is certainly not as popular as the 870, so getting parts and accessories is more difficult.

If you really want to shoot fast, nothing can beat a pump gun with bump fire, not even a semi auto. But why?

-TL

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old January 7, 2018, 02:59 PM   #7
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I especially like the the rotating bolt head with multiple lock lugs, which works like an AR. I think it is stronger.
Considering the low pressure of shotgun shells, strength beyond the needed minimum gets you essentially nothing.

Quote:
If you really want to shoot fast, nothing can beat a pump gun with bump fire, not even a semi auto.
I've have a couple Win Model 12s that will slam fire (not bump fire). I've shot them extensively, and they are very fast. Not as fast as a semi auto, though. Or at least, not in my hands. You'd have to be an exceptional individual to be able to shoot the pump faster than the semi auto. The difference isn't much, but there is a difference.

After the near disaster that was the Win 1200, I'm not a fan of the 1300 or any later developments. GO with the 870, there's plenty of aftermarket add on toys to be had, it's a sound, time proven design, and lots of people know how to work on them.

Good Luck!
Old January 7, 2018, 03:43 PM   #8
stuckinthe60s

the time it takes to recover from a jumping muzzle, erases any speed you may achieve.
and again....speed?
you going to shoot in some shotgun 3 gun event where speed is part of the course? heck, if it is...ever look at some of those high dollar race guns they build? by the time they are done, you cant even tell what make they are anymore. and they still lose the match.
NSSA All American, Skeet/Trap Range Owner
Old January 7, 2018, 05:39 PM   #9
jaguarxk120

Please also note that Winchester has stopped making the 1200,1300, and 1400 series shotguns.
Also you can not buy a new pump shotgun with out a disconector today, so pumping real fast and shooting real fast is a thing of the past.
Can one shoot fast, yes, BUT you have to practice shooting daily morning till night to get that good. and have very deep pockets to pay for shells.
Old January 8, 2018, 12:25 PM   #10
T. O'Heir

Speed with a pump gun comes with a lot of dry fire practice.
An 870 has a slightly shorter throw than a Winchester, but that doesn't matter unless you're used to one and shoot another. Had to do that at a plate shoot long ago. Did my normal pump and the Winchester failed to load. Operator failure though.
The ammo used matters too. Target loads are easier to be fast with but won't necessarily knock plates over. And small shot will bounce back.
"...daily morning till night to get that good..." Nope. Certainly helps, but isn't necessary.
Old January 8, 2018, 01:24 PM   #11
jaguarxk120

How good does the OP want to get with a shotgun? As good as Tom Knapp?