The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old August 25, 2001, 02:01 PM   #1
Lightsped

Need help identifying old antique rifle.

I found this old antique rifle in my grandmothers house. It has been sitting for years and years. The only markings on the rifle is "G.Fisher" on the receiver. No other serial numbers or markings of any kind. Pics are below.

Any ideas?
Old August 25, 2001, 04:38 PM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

You sure it's a rifle, and not a shotgun?

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old August 25, 2001, 05:43 PM   #3
Lightsped

Well, maybe it is a shotgun. Several people have said that is what it looks like. I really don't know much about this gun or any other antique type firearms.
Old August 25, 2001, 11:35 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, Lightsped,

WARNING! Check or have someone who knows old guns check to be sure the gun is not loaded and to unload it if it is!!

In the old days, loading muzzle loaders was a slow process, and many farmers kept a shotgun loaded in case they heard a fox at the chicken coop. The only thing required was slipping caps on the nipples (those conical parts under the hammers) to go after Mr. Fox. So, make sure the gun is not loaded. Now for other issues.

There were several gunmakers named Fisher in that period, but I cannot find a G. Fisher.

The gun is a percussion shotgun, with Damascus barrels, which clearly show in the excellent photo.

Damascus barrels were made by wrapping pieces of red hot iron and steel around an iron rod and welding them into a cylinder by hammering them together. The result was not a very strong barrel, but it was used a lot before the capability to drill deep holes in solid iron or steel existed.

In addition, the gun is not in the best of shape; it appears to be rusty and the top rib is coming loose. So, obviously, I highly recommend that the gun not be fired.

It probably dates from around 1860. It will make a nice wall hanger. The monetary value is, unfortunately, quite low. There is little collector interest in what are effectively "no name" guns, and of course it has no value as a shooter. I would estimate a value of $200 or less as an antique. Its sentimental value as an heirloom is much greater than that.

Jim